PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Demaryius Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure he probably had a concussion or two here but Peyton’s slot guys will all end up in a rest home in 10 years. Brandon Stokely, Jerome Patton, Anthony Gonzalez, Austin Collie, Wes Welker and glorified slot receiver Dallas Clark all had multiple concussions playing with Peyton.

That's one of the things that makes Brady special. You almost never see him throwing those hospital specials. Almost every time you wonder "Why did he throw it there?," the answer is "to protect his receiver."

Ugh, I can't read all 11 pages so someone please tell how this effects the 2020 comp picks we are to receive for Trey and Trent, if anyhow.

Ugh, I can't read all 11 pages so someone please tell how this effects the 2020 comp picks we are to receive for Trey and Trent, if anyhow.
No impact, since Thomas was released by the Texans rather than having his contract expire.

I hope the guarantees are minimal, but if so, it's a good move - another nothing-to-lose attempt, since there's no comp pick involved.

McDaniels had a hand in this, I expect.

As long as this doesn't drop WR on their "need" chart come draft, I'm happy to hear it.

No impact, since Thomas was released by the Texans rather than having his contract expire.
Thank you! I didn't realize he was released. Thought he was FA and was curious why BB would sign him now instead of waiting until May. Thanks again.

Is there a worse injury to try to come back from at the age of 31 than an Achilles tear? This seems like perhaps not the most ingenious personnel move in the history of this organization. Why not just bring back Moss? He can probably still run a 4.5 or better, and maybe get open once every second or third game. If we were paying Thomas vet minimum I still would have a hard time understanding the logic behind this; the fact we're paying him significantly more, coming off an Achilles, just seems dumb.

I don't disagree that it's unlikely he'll come back strong, but on the other hand Wilfork did at the same age and played three more years (one with the Patriots and two with the Texans) at a high level.

Yeah, he's barely tough enough to play his position as it is...

What does that even mean? He is much more reckless and inclined to play inside and take the punishment that happens there than Cooks ever was and yet somehow people call him soft.

What exactly makes him soft? Please be specific I'd love to understand it.

Field Yates‏ @FieldYates
Demaryius' Thomas deal with the Patriots includes a $150K signing bonus and a base salary of $1.2M, per source. He has the chance to earn more through incentives/bonuses and his current cap number is $2,906,250.

Over/under on # WRs Bill adds before the opener?

Given those numbers (and assuming they are correct), anyone who claims to be a Patriots fan, but has a problem with that deal, needs to be prevented from ever again posting about sports on the internet, because they're plainly not qualified to do so.

It's better, but I don't see the starting 5-wide receiving corps on this roster yet.

I'm not sure how you can't find 5 WR with the following:

Edelman
Gordon
Thomas
Dorsett
Ellington
Harris

but I think it's easy to figure out a 5 WR group there. I'm not saying that it's ideal or grading it at any level beyond being a legit 5, that Gordon will be on the team or available, etc.... I'm also definitely not saying I no longer want the team to draft WRs, because I would love them to draft a pair of them in the first 3 rounds. But it's a legitimate WR corps on paper, IMO.

Given those numbers (and assuming they are correct), anyone who claims to be a Patriots fan, but has a problem with that deal, needs to be prevented from ever again posting about sports on the internet, because they're plainly not qualified to do so.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but yeah. Nothing to complain about here, very little guaranteed if any at all (I don't see anything in there if he's just cut before the season..?). If it's between signing a Tiquan Underwood or DT, well yeah I'll take a chance bringing in DT.

Great move.

Considering we won the Super Bowl with 4 Wide Receivers (Edelman, Dorsett, Hogan, Patterson) on the active roster, our current situation doesn’t look that bad if Thomas can catch a healthy break and round back to form.

Edelman, Dorsett and a healthy Thomas and Berrios is already better than last year’s group.

Add in a clean Josh Gordon and potentially a first or second round wideout like Deebo Samuel and we’re miles better.

Thomas' career numbers:

DMCareer.jpg

The man still had a line of 59rec/677yds/5TDs last year. He played 7 games alongside DeAndre Hopkins and still managed 33 targets/23 receptions.

I'll take a 40-50 catch 6'3" 229 lb. #2/3 WR on an incentive laden deal anytime and twice on Sundays...

It's win-win all around......

The breakdown is even better for NE; the things that are included in the cap figure are in bold.

Signing bonus: $150K
Reporting bonus: $150K
Base salary: $1.2M

The remainder is incentives:
Per-game roster bonuses, 15 games: $1.406M [$93,750 per game]
Per-game roster bonus, 16th game: $93,750 [total $1.5M for 16 games]
Incentive for 60 catches: $750K
Yardage incentives [800/1,000/1,200 yards]: $750K each

If he hits all incentives, he'll earn $6M, and I think the Patriots would be glad to pay every penny.

If he flames out in TC, the Pats only lose $300K.

For the record, he played 15 games last year, so 15 per-game bonuses are LTBE. The remaining game and the statistical incentives were NLTBE.

I don't think he is a 1,000 yard receiver anymore. However Thomas is big and gives us a red zone threat to help replace some of Gronk's production. If he sticks I'm gonna estimate he gives us 600-750 yards and about 5 TDs.

That would be pretty good for a receiver coming off an injury just a year ago.
Low risk, high reward. Hopefully this pays off and Thomas can 'get' our offense based on his time with Josh in Denver.

WOW! That contract was even more incentive based than I even thought it would be. $300K to get him into camp and only $1.3MM in salary IF he makes the team. I wonder what the cap hit would be right now. At most $1.6MM as of now, maybe less. We'll see.

A couple of thoughts on DT -

a. As mentioned previously, the way the deal is structured, Thomas must think he'll be ready for the first game. That is a very hopeful sign

b. IF it proves that he now not fast enough to be that consistent outside threat, his size makes him a candidate to run a lot of the kind of routes a "move" TE runs now. Just a thought.

c. Again if he no longer can create separation through speed or quickness, he still will have value on the outside as a Anquain Boldin type of receiver (who imo was the REAL MVP of that superbowl Ravens team) bycreating separation with body position and precise route running than with speed or quickness.

d. AGAIN, the Pats' offense doesn't need #1 type WR's to be successful. Of the 9 superbowl teams, there has been only ONE that had an elite WR on the roster, so CLEARLY it isn't a necessity. What they do need are good, dependable guys who simply "do their jobs" within the framework of the offense.

What we saw in a "diminished" DThomas last season would be fine in that context. He is NOT going to be an all pro here, but what WR ever is. If he is better than the 2018 Chris Hogan we win big time. And if he doesn't there was very very very little risk.

e. As for the draft I would love if we drafted a tall WR like HButler AND the quickness and speed king in, Issabella somewhere in the first 4 rounds to go along with a TE (Warring) and 3 DLmen

Agreed.

If you are including Ellington and Harris, perhaps Berrios should be included as a possible #5 WR.

I'm not sure how you can't find 5 WR with the following:

Edelman
Gordon
Thomas
Dorsett
Ellington
Harris

but I think it's easy to figure out a 5 WR group there. I'm not saying that it's ideal or grading it at any level beyond being a legit 5, that Gordon will be on the team or available, etc.... I'm also definitely not saying I no longer want the team to draft WRs, because I would love them to draft a pair of them in the first 3 rounds. But it's a legitimate WR corps on paper, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes