PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Demaryius Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one to blame but himself for willingly leaving to play with Peyton.
I’m sure he probably had a concussion or two here but Peyton’s slot guys will all end up in a rest home in 10 years. Brandon Stokely, Jerome Patton, Anthony Gonzalez, Austin Collie, Wes Welker and glorified slot receiver Dallas Clark all had multiple concussions playing with Peyton.

I’m sure he probably had a concussion or two here but Peyton’s slot guy will all end up in a rest home in 10 years. Brandon Stokely, Jerome Patton, Anthony Gonzalez, Austin Collie, Wes Welker and glorified slot receiver Dallas Clark all had multiple concussions playing with Peyton.

What he did to collie was criminal.

Love the signing and if you don't agree with me. GFY. Oh sorry. I thought that was acceptable here now...

$100k or 25% less. If he can't report b/c of legal issue or injury then it's $200k less.

The structure is a string of carrots on a stick for him to chase.

I understand why the contract is structured as it is. My point was only that the "new" structure wouldnt really change much with regards to the Wayne situation. There is a certain opportunity cost when it comes to signing veterans as they want to make sure they are not working their ass off in camp for nothing.

And those 100k more are essentially pocket change when it comes to bringing it veterans for camp.

Adam Humpries to date have never hit the 900yds plateau not to mention 1000 that's my point.

Not arguing past achievements because there is no debate. I’m saying as of today’s date you can make the case that humphries is better from now going forward because of age and injury. Now the one huge advantage going for Thomas is playing with Brady vs mariota. I had high hopes that humphries would’ve been a beast in the slot for us for years and would’ve hit those 800-1k seasons but now we will never know.

I miss one day on here and boom WR signs, 10 pages of stuff.

I miss one day on here and boom WR signs, 10 pages of stuff.

What are you still doing here? Take another break, maybe we will get an Allen Bailey signing for DL depth.

Not arguing past achievements because there is no debate. I’m saying as of today’s date you can make the case that humphries is better from now going forward because of age and injury. Now the one huge advantage going for Thomas is playing with Brady vs mariota. I had high hopes that humphries would’ve been a beast in the slot for us for years and would’ve hit those 800-1k seasons but now we will never know.

Yep he won't get to that mark with Mr Automatic missing 5 to 6 games a year Mariota.

What are you still doing here? Take another break, maybe we will get an Allen Bailey signing for DL depth.
giphy.gif

I understand why the contract is structured as it is. My point was only that the "new" structure wouldnt really change much with regards to the Wayne situation. There is a certain opportunity cost when it comes to signing veterans as they want to make sure they are not working their ass off in camp for nothing.

And those 100k more are essentially pocket change when it comes to bringing it veterans for camp.
We don't agree on the definition of what "much" is. If BB didn't give a crap he'd just pay him $300k-$4ook guaranteed.

Decent signing. He is immediately the 2nd best WR on the team if he is healthy....if.

I have little hope for a guy in his 30s who popped an Achilles in December being at all productive next season or even coming back at all, but Thomas has been a good player and it's a low-risk gamble.

We don't agree on the definition of what "much" is. If BB didn't give a crap he'd just pay him $300k-$4ook guaranteed.

You are moving the goal posts here. I was saying that the structure you were praising as BB learning from Wayne would have not done much in the RW situation in the first place since he reported.

You essentially can assume that the dead money on DT is 300k effectively because he will report.

Or in other words there really is not a gigantic difference between getting 300k straight or half of it for signing the other half for reporting.

Is there a worse injury to try to come back from at the age of 31 than an Achilles tear? This seems like perhaps not the most ingenious personnel move in the history of this organization. Why not just bring back Moss? He can probably still run a 4.5 or better, and maybe get open once every second or third game. If we were paying Thomas vet minimum I still would have a hard time understanding the logic behind this; the fact we're paying him significantly more, coming off an Achilles, just seems dumb.

Is there a worse injury to try to come back from at the age of 31 than an Achilles tear? This seems like perhaps not the most ingenious personnel move in the history of this organization. Why not just bring back Moss? He can probably still run a 4.5 or better, and maybe get open once every second or third game. If we were paying Thomas vet minimum I still would have a hard time understanding the logic behind this; the fact we're paying him significantly more, coming off an Achilles, just seems dumb.

The dead money hit is 150k (300k after reporting). He will be gone for pocket change if he has nothing left.

You done trolling? This is literally one of the best contracts of this entire FA season.

Yea I didn’t want him at the trade deadline last year. I definitely don’t want him now. I’m his prime he was a big fast receiver but he always had a case of the drops and wasn’t always the most mentally tough. To me the absolute worst possible scenario here is we don’t try and swing a trade for a solid receiver because we think DT will be a contributor.

I don't think Moss'll be back, but there's always Welker, Branch and Givens on the cheap.

You are moving the goal posts here. I was saying that the structure you were praising as BB learning from Wayne would have not done much in the RW situation in the first place since he reported.

You essentially can assume that the dead money on DT is 300k effectively because he will report.

Or in other words there really is not a gigantic difference between getting 300k straight or half of it for signing the other half for reporting.
Yes. BB gave Wayne $400k and he didn't even make it out of camp. With Thomas he has structured it with the payouts being incremental. Cap is not cash. $150k is less than $4o0k. 300k is less than $400k. You seem to think its immaterial. I don't agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe