PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots select WR Tyquan Thornton at 50.

Look, there's all the reason in the world to assume whichever WR the Pats picked will be a major bust.
But, just like from Jackson to Tate to Price to Dobson to Mitchell to Harry, I always get excited and hope for big things.
So until he finishes his 3rd year having clearly underwhelmed and underproduced, I'll root for Thornton to break the mold and succeed.
Hey maybe 20 years will snap the streak of failed WR's above the 6th round - since Branch in the 2nd round '02.
(Edelman in the 7th & Berrios in the 6th) *I'll also give BB credit for getting Mitchell in the 4th - he didn't bust, he just broke.

So there are some questions about Tyquan Thornton's play strength and physicality based on his size of 6'2 180 lbs.

This particular film study might come off a bit optimistic but it does show some examples where Thornton fights off the jam/press and still makes the play as well as a few plays where he hangs onto the ball despite taking a big hit from the DB. Take it for what you will.

If the conclusions of the film study are correct, Thornton should be ok even against physical press coverage DB play. I'd still like him to put on 15-20 lbs of muscle, but at least it doesn't look like he is going to get shut down just because the corners play him very physical at the line of scrimmage.

I keep hearing that Thorton is to thin and that the pick was a reach, he is a 4th round talent. He is the same effin size as Jameson Williams who everyone raves about. Honestly when I watch tape of both I don't see a great difference. What am I missing?

I keep hearing that Thorton is to thin and that the pick was a reach, he is a 4th round talent. He is the same effin size as Jameson Williams who everyone raves about. Honestly when I watch tape of both I don't see a great difference. What am I missing?

Not far off of the Twig himself, Marvin Harrison. 10 pounds - that should give him enough extra without seriously impacting that speed.

Thornton didn't play at Bama, if he would have played at Bama he would have been easily top 3 WR in the draft and nobody would even consider to talk about a reach.

Last edited:
After watching some of his cut ups and the analysis of Greg Cosell and others, I'm staggered how some of these draft analysts only had him in the 5th round. I don't think he cracked Jeremiah's top 150. You can question him over Moore/Pickens but how can you not see any big end traits that would make him a day 2 pick, if not the 50th overall.

I'm really excited by this guy.

I see it, I see it. Bill Belichick is gonna Make Randy Moss Clone!
Moss
Randy moss.JPG
Tyquan
Tyquan Thorton.JPG
Same Guy! Go PATS! 20 TD This year!!!

Williams went to Alabama and played in a offense where they threw it 65% of the time and Thornton went to Baylor and played in an offense that threw it only 35% of the time

Williams went to Alabama and played in a offense where they threw it 65% of the time and Thornton went to Baylor and played in an offense that threw it only 35% of the time

If they both have similar body frames, what does the amount of time their respective offenses threw the ball has zero to do with the criticism that Thornton gets that his frame is too slight to deal with press coverage and could get injured more because of his frame and Williams gets a lot less? That has nothing to do with playing ability, what type of offense they were in, the offense they were running, and/or how many times their QB threw the ball.

People are starting to come around on this pick.

Bedard did a write up on him and his conclusion was that he wanted to hate the pick but came away saying he couldn’t and that he sees what the Patriots see in him. He’s more than a speed guy.

The truth is that none of these people really know how refined any of these WRs are. I'll never forget the people criticizing Metcalf for not being able to run routes. And all the scouts and NFL teams seemed to agree as he dropped to the bottom of the 2nd. So many of these kids are touted for abilities they don't have, while others are ripped.

Until they get on the field in the NFL, no one seems to know.

Look at Amari Cooper, this kid is getting chances that wouldn't be given to a 3rd rounder who has had his career so far.

I believe this year's cast of WRs has more bust potential than any draft since the 2016 draft when Corey Coleman, LaQuon Treadwell, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson all went in the first round, while Michael Thomas went late 2nd.

All 4 of those underwhelmed even Fuller who was actually the only non-bust.

Something to keep in mind is Mac threw a pretty good 20-30 yard fade route to a 4.6 slot WR with success.

Also notice all the cover 1 looks defenses show. Thornton can change how defenses line up. There’s a chance he goes 60+ yards to the house vs. these alignments if he beats his man off the line IMO.

Something to keep in mind is Mac threw a pretty good 20-30 yard fade route to a 4.6 slot WR with success.

Also notice all the cover 1 looks defenses show. Thornton can change how defenses line up. There’s a chance he goes 60+ yards to the house vs. these alignments if he beats his man off the line IMO.

With Agholor and Thornton lined up outside, how can an opposing D play Cover 1?

People are starting to come around on this pick.

Bedard did a write up on him and his conclusion was that he wanted to hate the pick but came away saying he couldn’t and that he sees what the Patriots see in him. He’s more than a speed guy.
Alright, this is what I want to see. This is a low key very important pick for our chances. Especially in '23 and '24 which is our "sweet spot" window based on Mac's projected development while still on rookie deal.

This was something I was thinking about as well. If I remember correctly, Mac was throwing those fade routes almost immediately after the snap to Meyers, because the defensive look made him confident Meyers would win. If defenses try to play a guy like Thornton the same way, no doubt Mac will see it and lay one out for him. You're right, assuming Thornton translates to the NFL level, teams will have to devote a safety to his side of the field.

It's one reason I think he and Agholor could see the field together. If they're both on the outside, you have to keep both safeties over the top. Then whichever combination of Henry, Smith, Meyers, Bourne, and a RB you choose to run underneath will have tons of room.

Alright, this is what I want to see. This is a low key very important pick for our chances. Especially in '23 and '24 which is our "sweet spot" window based on Mac's projected development while still on rookie deal.
In a lot of ways, this pick will determine how successful this draft was. We swung for the fences here expecting a home run. Not a single or double. If you look at the other picks there's not a ton of upside besides TT. He's the most important pick by far imo.

And when they did throw, it was a QB who wasn't always sure he could hit the side of that barn.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back