PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots select WR Tyquan Thornton at 50.

This kid is a pure speed. Mac showed he liked throwing deep balls and now I assume he's got someone who can stretch the field along with Parker. Thornton obviously
demands improvement in many aspects. However I see one huge advantage. In his running routes Thornton is so smooth and he uses his speed naturally. It is very important because you can teach players many things but natural body control along with speed is almost ineducable.

Lance Zierlein had Thornton slated at 55 so in no sense is the Pats taking him at 50 an overdraft/reach. You wanted speed. You got speed. Great pick
Idiots here will still WHINE that they should have taken someone else, cuz they know more about the team than Bill....Bill is an idiot ad nauseum....it's tiresome...

I like the pick because they took a chance on a high upside guy with a truly special trait, one which they have been sorely lacking. Teams are going to less willing to keep their safeties shallow, to protect against the run. They have to respect 4.28 speed. also, as others have mentioned, he seems to have some route running versatility, even if his technique need some work.

His thin frame is obviously a concern at the next level, but I expect by year too that he will make significant strides in terms of his overall strength, in the Patriots program.

Also, while he has good arm length he has freakishly tiny hands (8 1/4 in)….the smallest hands in the draft for a wide receiver. The track record of wide receivers with hand sizes less than 9 inches in the NFL is poor. Two notable exceptions have been TY Hilton (8 1/2) and Tyler Lockett (8 3/8). I don’t want to make too much Thornton‘s hand size but it is still notable when a prospect is in the 5th percentile for any physical trait.

I like the pick because they took a chance on a high upside guy with a truly special trait, one which they have been sorely lacking. Teams are going to less willing to keep their safeties shallow, to protect against the run. They have to respect 4.28 speed. also, as others have mentioned, he seems to have some route running versatility, even if his technique need some work.

His thin frame is obviously a concern at the next level, but I expect by year too that he will make significant strides in terms of his overall strength, in the Patriots program.

Also, while he has good arm length he has freakishly tiny hands (8 1/4 in)….the smallest hands in the draft for a wide receiver. The track record of wide receivers with hand sizes less than 9 inches in the NFL is poor. Two notable exceptions have been TY Hilton (8 1/2) and Tyler Lockett (8 3/8). I don’t want to make too much Thornton‘s hand size but it is still notable when a prospect is in the 5th percentile for any physical trait.
I'm not concerned about his hands. Maybe they're small, but he's got good hands. He's got one of the lowest amount of body catches on tape, he snatches the ball out of the air...

Let's give him a chance.
That's all I ask for, stop Squearing EVERY draft pick, Bill isn't as Stupid as you think, you guys Are beyond pathetic.
Maybe they don't all workout (they NEVER DO), BUT we'll be good IMO.
Some assholes LOOK FORWARD to Bills MISTAKES, but don't give him love for his finds.. Stephen Neal.. STUD, I guess every other team THOUGHT he was a BUM...Andruzzi...idiots...
It's like this every year. Fans think by studying dozens of draft rags and take what "experts" say as gospel makes them well-versed in player evaluations and insiteful on draft-day dynamics. Then when the pick is made they behave as if draft picks are money they've lent to a friend to pay bills only when the buddy blows it on meth.

Every pick after Rd1 pick 15 has a 65-70% failure rate or higher.

I think most don't know that.

Every pick after Rd1 pick 15 has a 65-70% failure rate or higher.
That's the way I've always seen it. There are a small number of sure-fire NFL studs each draft - maybe 10-20 on a good year. After that we see as many "studs" drafted in the 70's as we do drafted in the 20's. Teams take what they need.

I believe that Nike picked Thorton back home on the laptop and that he will be a stud.

Kraft gave the green light and stated "who are we to argue?"

FRjfyG1X0AAI7gO

This player has far more PLUS measurables than negative. You cannot coach up speed. This entire board screams ad nauseum that Agholor sucks and the WR's are turtles...well...I believe it's worth taking this chance because I've SEEN what elite football speed means in a multi-WR attack. The pick checks all the boxes IMO. Anybody screaming about this kid's "build" is ignorant of the the Patriots program.Period.
The amount of b!tching is ridiculous. They took the fastest WR in the draft! People wanted speed, got it, and are unhappy? I don’t get it.

The amount of b!tching is ridiculous.
...yes, but, he's not going to stop Josh Allan and he's not going to stop <insert something you think he's not going to stop however irrelevant>

Not like Belichick hasn’t earned the draft criticism he’s gotten :rolleyes:
So we should criticize the good picks because he's earned it through the bad picks. Fair enough.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back