PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots select DB Marcus Jones at 85

This is interesting. I hadn’t seen anything being float around by anyone else about having him play safety at some point.. This DB group is full of diversity, whether that translates to the field with mixed coverages and all that, I don’t know. Hope it does. If Butler makes the team, he’s got one side locked down I’m guessing. Hobbs will start at the other outside spot, maybe even split time depending on matchup with Jon Jones. McCourty and Dug will hold down the other safety spots. Then you work in the young guys where you can I guess. The defensive backfield got a lot more athletic, and a helluva lot smaller. Not exactly ideal, but it is what it is. A great way to cover any of the deficiencies would be generating a better pass rush without sending the blitz. That’s more of a concern to me.

i think everyone agrees with this, but how is a tall guy relevant here?
i think jones will excel in the slot which helps us and maybe jon. jones can help outside? idk, or jon. jones future FS ?
I think Marcus jones can play on the outside.

@FredFromDartmouth I liked Austin, too, but check out how well Jones covers him! I guess we're all set if we play the Steelers.
This kid is glue on everyone. Not a clutchy penalty machine, but a shadow with the same fight to the whistle that Malcom Butler displayed. Let's see how it goes.

i think everyone agrees with this, but how is a tall guy relevant here?
i think jones will excel in the slot which helps us and maybe jon. jones can help outside? idk, or jon. jones future FS ?

This is the correct thinking I assume. Jon Jones goes outside or to FS. If the three Jones work out we are all set at CB. Marcus and Jack Jones highlights are very impressive. If we can hit on a couple, plus we have Wade, we will have plugged a large hole.

Still puzzled how we are plugging the fatty DT and DE opposite Judon issues.

This is the correct thinking I assume. Jon Jones goes outside or to FS. If the three Jones work out we are all set at CB. Marcus and Jack Jones highlights are very impressive. If we can hit on a couple, plus we have Wade, we will have plugged a large hole.
i agree , three joneses could lead to some confusing posts in the GDT if i am not sober.
Still puzzled how we are plugging the fatty DT and DE opposite Judon issues.
good thing is this means free agency will still be exciting

i agree , three joneses could lead to some confusing posts in the GDT if i am not sober.

good thing is this means free agency will still be exciting

Or the Pats will be tough to watch until 2023. :whistle: The offense is going to be very fun, but I like defense :eek:

Or the Pats will be tough to watch until 2023. :whistle: The offense is going to be very fun, but I like defense :eek:
the defense will be tough maybe yeah, but there are quit a few new guys at LB and secondary as well as Barmore's second year jump (just assuming this).

Marcus Jones reminds me of Darrell Green, Hall of Fame cornerback for the Redskins. He is virtually the same size (same weight, an inch shorter) and, like Green, has blazing speed. If he becomes half the player that Green was, the Pats will have made a very good pick.

Based off who our opponents are, I think M. Jones is going to be a huge weapon for us on defense.
Dolphins x 2 with Waddle and Hill
Bills x 2 with Diggs, McKenzie and Crowder
Jets x 2 with Wilson, Moore and Berrios
Bears with Mooney
Bengals with Chase
Cardinals with Brown and Moore
Packers with Cobb
Raiders with Renfrow
Steelers with D. Johnson

All could be matchups where M. Jones will be very useful.

This kid is glue on everyone. Not a clutchy penalty machine, but a shadow with the same fight to the whistle that Malcom Butler displayed. Let's see how it goes.

That's the exact thought I had - a lot like Butler. Hopefully Butler can help get him up to snuff on NFL-speed play.

I like the small DBs if they're quick and scrappy.

Marcus Jones reminds me of Darrell Green, Hall of Fame cornerback for the Redskins. He is virtually the same size (same weight, an inch shorter) and, like Green, has blazing speed. If he becomes half the player that Green was, the Pats will have made a very good pick.
There are many who think Darrell Green is the best cb all-time. He wasn't just blazing fast he was tough as nails physical and smart- at 5'8". Couldnt count how many 6'+ wrs he shut down. Height is just not a big issue if you have the right skill set. Of course, im not comparing Marcus Jones to him thats ridiculous. But youre right- uf Marcus is only half of Green we got a perennial probowl cb. Wait a sec- if he's only half of Green( who's 5'8"), that would make Marcus about 3' tall! Nevermind.

best punt returner in the draft, a position of need at cb.

The more I read about him the more I like the pick, and that’s kind of how I feel about the Patriots draft overall. Acquiring talent is method, the goal is building a really good winning team, and it appears that they added a good number of players who can help them so just that. Explosive players who can make big plays was a serious deficiency for the Patriots the past few seasons, and having a punt returner who can change the field, or possibly take it to the house is a valuable weapon. Duggar’s and Gunner are good punt returners, but Gunner is gone, and Duggar’s is a key piece of their defense., so having a young guy who can take over those duties, and has the versatility to help their secondary is a good addition to the team.

After complaining and *****ing about the first pick, and getting that out of my system, I am coming around to this draft. I'm choosing to be excited about its potential.

Strange, if pans out, only helps our entire offense, which was easy to slow down if you stopped the run. Now we have quick receivers who will get open faster, and if Strange is the crucial addition to the line, Mac has more time to go thru his progressions.

Can't wait for the season to begin :)

After complaining and *****ing about the first pick, and getting that out of my system, I am coming around to this draft. I'm choosing to be excited about its potential.

Strange, if pans out, only helps our entire offense, which was easy to slow down if you stopped the run. Now we have quick receivers who will get open faster, and if Strange is the crucial addition to the line, Mac has more time to go thru his progressions.

Can't wait for the season to begin :)

Anyone who likes offense should be PUMPED.

1. Onwenu replaces Mason - upgrade, Strange replaces Karras - upgrade. Overall Oline is upgraded baring injuries.
2. Add Parker and Thornton to the receiving corp - huge upgrade. Even if Thornton only runs three routes in 2022 his speed will be a huge upgrade.
3. Add Strong to the RB room. Another upgrade over Boldin (and I like Boldin but the speed difference is undeniable). Stevenson in Y2 is an upgrade.
4. Smith, Henry, Asiasi and Keene are all now in Y2 and Y3, so they will expand the playbook.
5. Mac in Y2 will also expand the playbook and increase his long throws.
6. It will be tough to play Cover 1 with Agholor and Thornton running down each sideline which pulls another defender out of the box.

We added the fastest WR and RB in the draft and PatsFans posters are not excited because our first round pick was a guard?????

I only worry about the defense. The DL needs an EDGE and fatty DT, and the CBs are mostly new (which could be a problem).

This is interesting. I hadn’t seen anything being float around by anyone else about having him play safety at some point.. This DB group is full of diversity, whether that translates to the field with mixed coverages and all that, I don’t know. Hope it does. If Butler makes the team, he’s got one side locked down I’m guessing. Hobbs will start at the other outside spot, maybe even split time depending on matchup with Jon Jones. McCourty and Dug will hold down the other safety spots. Then you work in the young guys where you can I guess. The defensive backfield got a lot more athletic, and a helluva lot smaller. Not exactly ideal, but it is what it is. A great way to cover any of the deficiencies would be generating a better pass rush without sending the blitz. That’s more of a concern to me.
There's a Hobbs that will start at corner this season? No kidding...man am I out of touch...

Anyone who likes offense should be PUMPED.

1. Onwenu replaces Mason - upgrade, Strange replaces Karras - upgrade. Overall Oline is upgraded baring injuries.
2. Add Parker and Thornton to the receiving corp - huge upgrade. Even if Thornton only runs three routes in 2022 his speed will be a huge upgrade.
3. Add Strong to the RB room. Another upgrade over Boldin (and I like Boldin but the speed difference is undeniable). Stevenson in Y2 is an upgrade.
4. Smith, Henry, Asiasi and Keene are all now in Y2 and Y3, so they will expand the playbook.
5. Mac in Y2 will also expand the playbook and increase his long throws.
6. It will be tough to play Cover 1 with Agholor and Thornton running down each sideline which pulls another defender out of the box.

We added the fastest WR and RB in the draft and PatsFans posters are not excited because our first round pick was a guard?????

I only worry about the defense. The DL needs an EDGE and fatty DT, and the CBs are mostly new (which could be a problem).

Agree on most of this. Mason is a better OG than Onwenu, but Enwonu is a great replacement for him. Thornton’s n really only has to deliver on a few plays a game to really impact their offense. They went into this off-season needing a WR who could widen the field, and give them length outside the hashes, and a true deep threat, to make defenses play the whole field. The Parker trade gave them the size and ability to widen the field, and Thornton stretches defenses if he makes even a few plays a game. The Strange pick fills out their OL, and will protect Jones from inside pressure. Their RB room is really good, and I really expect Jonnu Smith will have a much better season. At ths point I think Jones has most of the tools to run a complete offense this season.

Jones isn’t all that much smaller than Ellis Hobbs. Hobbs was never a great CB, but he was a serviceable starter for a couple of seasons. From what I can tell, Jones is a much better athlete than Hobbs.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back