PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Rumors: Eliot Wolf ‘Pushing Hard’ For This QB Prospect

McCarthy is so great that Michigan decided to run the ball 32 times in a row against Penn State at a point in the game where the outcome was still very much in question.
Did you watch the game? They could not block Chop Robinson at all. Harbaugh was not there, so Sherone Moore took over. Here is what is funny, when Bill B had Mac throw 3 passes against the Bills. People lauded Bill, granted the weather was horrible and a lot of people were like Mac is such a team player and is unselfish team player. Now JJ was in that position and people are like HE IS ****!!

Did you watch the game? They could not block Chop Robinson at all. Harbaugh was not there, so Sherone Moore took over. Here is what is funny, when Bill B had Mac throw 3 passes against the Bills. People lauded Bill, granted the weather was horrible and a lot of people were like Mac is such a team player and is unselfish team player. Now JJ was in that position and people are like HE IS ****!!
There weren't 70 MPH winds in State College, Pennsylvania, on the day in question.

I’m impressed with Mccarthy’s off platform ability. His ability to extend plays by throwing on the run outside the pocket and using his legs to pick up yards is impressive, and shows he has the potential to be a QB you win BECAUSE of rather than one you just win with.

That being said, I still think Daniels and Maye both have considerably higher potential.

It's all smoke right now. Wolf may be young and have a different pedigree than a life-long BB disciple, but he ain't stupid!

Also, the eligibility rules in college are getting crazy. Why do we have THREE 24 year old QB's in the top of the draft?

If we pick Daniels, we'll probably want him to start early on because he'll be getting old quick.
I do think he'd be exciting and bring a lot of hope and fun to the team.
Maye could be the long play, sit a year and take a couple years to develop like Allen did.

It's all smoke right now. Wolf may be young and have a different pedigree than a life-long BB disciple, but he ain't stupid!

Also, the eligibility rules in college are getting crazy. Why do we have THREE 24 year old QB's in the top of the draft?

If we pick Daniels, we'll probably want him to start early on because he'll be getting old quick.
Maye could be the long play, sit a year and take a couple years to develop like Allen did.
It’s JJ or Spencer.

Both make the off platform throws teams are craving.

I believe whoever falls to us at 3 we are taking.. Daniels is my hope! But... I would not be mad at maye.

We can't screw this up. For a franchise that has been on top for so long we don't want to continue to fall to mediocrity. I've said before that ownership wants to win now. If we can get the QB, he starts day 1 I believe we can compete.

Agreed he and AVP are supposed to be QB whisperers..
During the season, I don't know if AVP will have as much time to work individually with a rook, but McAdoo wo has worked with AVP will be able to devote more time to work with the rook. I think this is how it could play out,

During the season, I don't know if AVP will have as much time to work individually with a rook, but McAdoo wo has worked with AVP will be able to devote more time to work with the rook. I think this is how it could play out,
Yeah. That definitely could be a possibility. It's AVPs offense a form of the west coast scheme. I'd like to think if we can just draft the "guy".. everything else will fall right in place.

there ere other plenty occasions on third and longf where they did not put it in jjmc hands but inszead ran it
I think it was Klatt in his qb rankings who pointed out that jjmc also took less snaps from shotguns where he actually had to go through his progressions. A lot of snaps under center with predetermined plays

Because of the 2020 COVID redshirt rules. Just about everyone an extra year of eligibility

there ere other plenty occasions on third and longf where they did not put it in jjmc hands but inszead ran it
I think it was Klatt in his qb rankings who pointed out that jjmc also took less snaps from shotguns where he actually had to go through his progressions. A lot of snaps under center with predetermined plays
3rd down 6yds+ydsPCTtdINTsackrtg
JJ43/5962572.9606195.4
Williams30/5135958.8309137.4
Maye33/6044555408139.3
Penix32/6941646.4314108.5
Nix43/5458579.6301189
JD26/3531374.3305177.7
The above stats were taken from ESPN. These stats are the top 6 QBs on 3rd down and 6+yds, JJ had the highest rating but the thing I find most impressive is that he never had a chance to get into a Rythm as a passer. it was 1st down run, 2nd down run, now JJ we need you so go make a play and he would. These were not all thrown past the sticks, I had those stats but can't find them. JJ was also the highest graded by PFF off play action which is something that AVP said we will see a lot of.

I used to be a very strong proponent of drafting JJ over Maye, but now I am a Maye over JJ guy for various reasons. The main point I am trying to make is that if we end up with JJ at 3 it is not that bad. If Maye goes #2 I really hope we draft JJ.

Check out this story from Fox Sports

I would hate this mock draft.
If they do that they should be fired on the spot.

For the Pats to trade #3 given our current circunstances it should be a kings ramson like no one ever seen before.
We need a QB, this is a good class, good chances we are not drafting that high again in the upcoming years, that means, no shot at a great qb prospect again.

Get it done, get your QB, then figure it out all the other needs AFTER you have a QB.

JJ43/5962572.9606195.4
Maye33/6044555408139.3
Nix43/5458579.6301189
JD26/3531374.3305177.7
The above stats were taken from ESPN. These stats are the top 6 QBs on 3rd down and 6+yds, JJ had the highest rating but the thing I find most impressive is that he never had a chance to get into a Rythm as a passer. it was 1st down run, 2nd down run, now JJ we need you so go make a play and he would. These were not all thrown past the sticks, I had those stats but can't find them. JJ was also the highest graded by PFF off play action which is something that AVP said we will see a lot of.

I used to be a very strong proponent of drafting JJ over Maye, but now I am a Maye over JJ guy for various reasons. The main point I am trying to make is that if we end up with JJ at 3 it is not that bad. If Maye goes #2 I really hope we draft JJ.
I am not against jj, not at all, I wa just giving something from the qb analysis of guys like Warner klatt Daniels I like to listen to because they break down plays and as former qbs have experience

I would welcome any of the top 4 qb here at pick 3

I think a lot of the hype comes from a hope that he will be the next “Tom Brady”
Michigan grad
Good looking
Good leader
Well spoken

But its mostly wishful thinking. I do not think his game is anything like TB12
The similarities that i see are leadership and tenacity, plus the ability to throw darts with accuracy in the short passing game. And that is more than enough for me. I’d love to see JJ as the pick at 3.

I am not against jj, not at all, I wa just giving something from the qb analysis of guys like Warner klatt Daniels I like to listen to because they break down plays and as former qbs have experience

I would welcome any of the top 4 qb here at pick 3
Thats fair, and sorry if I came off as aggressive. People seem pretty down on him and I got defensive for some reason.

Thats fair, and sorry if I came off as aggressive. People seem pretty down on him and I got defensive for some reason.
i recon every of these qb's have their flaws/points where you have to think twice but in the end if you believe it's fixable and i like his age advantage (same for Maye) in terms of development. I think JJmc and Maye are suited for a run heavy offense which will likely come and feature a lot of PA maybe RPO stuff. at least this is my impression from watching cleveland highlights.

I hate late risers. They tend to rise late because of things that are not due to their actual skill set or play on the field. Most of the 2021 QB first round draft class were all late risers. Guys like Jones, Fields, and Lance were not even in the first round in a lot of mock drafts before the Combine.

McCarthy could be the exception, but I am always nervous with these late risers.
Especially when the impetus for the ascent was his college coach who is now in the NFL with the #5 pick...and doesn't need a QB. How great would it be for Harbaugh if the first 4 picks were QBs and MHJ fell into his Charger lap at 5?

JJ43/5962572.9606195.4
Maye33/6044555408139.3
Nix43/5458579.6301189
JD26/3531374.3305177.7

I watched a video a couple of months back that showed McCarthy’s third and long plays. As you pointed out he had a very high conversion rate. Even more impressive were the throws he was making. A lot of those passes were into tight windows and thrown before the receiver’s break. They were tough, well thrown NFL type of passes.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back