PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Patriots reportedly waive OT Yodny Cajuste

He had 3 or 4 years to make it happen. It’s not like this is earth shattering. Had plenty of camps/ota’s, games to solidify a starting spot and he just couldn’t take advantage here. Wish him the best whether it’s with the Pats in a resigning or whatever other team picks him up.

He had 3 or 4 years to make it happen. It’s not like this is earth shattering. Had plenty of camps/ota’s, games to solidify a starting spot and he just couldn’t take advantage here. Wish him the best whether it’s with the Pats in a resigning or whatever other team picks him up.

I seems to me, but I have no analytical data, that these "were a 1st rounder but dropped due to injuries senior year" draft picks rarely self-elevate back to a high performance standard.

I seems to me, but I have no analytical data, that these "were a 1st rounder but dropped due to injuries senior year" draft picks rarely self-elevate back to a high performance standard.
Marcus Cannon would be at least one notable exception. He was considered a first-rounder coming out of TCU before developing cancer.

Rough draft class for sure. It’s funny. You go to the Twitter link, and there’s countless others posting their teams draft classes that can compete for the worst. That’s just how the draft goes sometimes, and it really sucks. Can set a team back for years. Harris and Bailey were great picks. Stidham is a solid backup qb, and those are valuable. Winovich just never fit in. Definitely an odd dude, but it’s not the first Bill ever had to deal with. Was sad to see him go. Solid contributor when put in the right situations. Not an incredibly great draft by any means, but Bailey and Harris alone removes the “one of the worst drafts ever” distinction.

The team simply had enough. They didn't want to risk an injury and pay the salary of Cajuste when he had little chance of making the 53.

Brown, Reiff, Anderson, McDermott (PS: Steuber)
I suspect if someone is injured or retires, Belichick will sign a backup veteran that projects to be better than Cajuste.

Alternatively, perhaps the plan is for Strange or Sow to play OT this season, especially if there is an injury.

I disagree.

FwcID-wWwAEpprE

True, but you don't need to release an RFA player to do that.
True that, chances are he'll get signed to some other teams 90....

But we aren't talking about a thuney level player ... Maybe we asked him to take a haircut and he said no...

If we lose him to another team, so be it, based on his injury history... And if we get him back for cheaper, win for us

True that, chances are he'll get signed to some other teams 90....

But we aren't talking about a thuney level player ... Maybe we asked him to take a haircut and he said no...

If we lose him to another team, so be it, based on his injury history... And if we get him back for cheaper, win for us

If he's offered anything by another team after the draft (now), it's highly likely there is no guarantee.

So if the Patriots offer any spot, I think he would go with their opportunity, unless Cajuste thinks a new start is needed.

If he's offered anything by another team after the draft (now), it's highly likely there is no guarantee.

So if the Patriots offer any spot, I think he would go with their opportunity, unless Cajuste thinks a new start is needed.
I agree ... Think you nailed it ... But I would add one caveat, and I think you imply this... But I'm going to spell it out anyways ... He needs to get an offer or two from other teams to establish his relative worth on the open market first... then we stand a better chance of retaining him at a lesser rate...

I hope that happens because if he kicks the injury bug he's worth keeping

Last edited:
From the twitter
The 2020 Raiders Draft class is the worst class ever:
1.12: Henry Ruggs - Prison
1.19: Damon Arnette - Rapper/Prison
3.80: Lynn Bowden Jr. - FA
3.81: Bryan Edwards - Saints
3.100: Tanner Muse - Steelers
4.109: John Simpson - Ravens
4.139: Amik Robertson - 9 starts in 3 seasons
So the 12th and 19th pick in the draft and neither is still in the NFL. Some people spend their whole lives *****ing about stuff.

Exactly what I was thinking.. cap move if anything creating space Likely to make room to sign the remaining unsigned draft picks. I think he'll be back.
They didn't need any cap space to sign the rest of their picks..

Shame, I was hoping Cajuste would develop into one of the OTs spots, but he just never got going with injuries. Hope he connects to another roster or comes back in time. With this brick falling as well, I presume they have a longterm OT plan, but no idea what is it currently.

Agree, the longterm contributions of the 2017, 2018 and 2019 drafts to the 2023 Patriots roster are really disappointing. Wise and Bentley are only ones remaining on 2nd contracts.

The slightly odd thing is so few drafted in these years have completely flamed out of the league. Bailey, Harris, Stidham, Winowich, Froholdt, Harry, Wynn, and Berrios, and even Dawson, Williams and Rivers are still on NFL rosters, and the only one not signed is Michel who has had a solid nfl career with 3500 scrimmage yards. So you can’t call it a complete failure overall in terms of scouting, just lots of singles and doubles and no home-runs. It makes it poor for long-term Patriots roster management though, and the lack production from the capital spent on WR1 and OT hurts.

Its a far cry from the 2009-2012 drafts with Jones, Hightower, McCourty, Gronk, Edelman, Vollmer, Cannon, Solder, Chung and Vereen. Going slightly off-topic, but I wonder how that lack of continuality affects culture and leadership on the team. It makes me think at least x2 of Dugger, Onwenu and Uche surely must get a second contract.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back