PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Re-sign Deatrich Wise

Good move. A versatile piece along a front 6 that loves versatility.
A big DE for the run game and a small DT to rush the passer inside.
25% of the snaps kind of guy who can help if not playing out of position.
Fills the reduced role Butler should/would have if he returned.

The whole front 7 sucked last year. Hes a rotational guy. Hes been fine here. I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded at the end of TC.
They were inconsistent last year. The DL did have some decent games

cool, he's a solid role player. Need to re-sign Guy to solidify the d-line in my opinion. How's the cap looking?

cool, he's a solid role player. Need to re-sign Guy to solidify the d-line in my opinion. How's the cap looking?
No one’s going to know about the cap until the specific details of the contracts are out. Not that the Patriots would do this, but it’s possible they only spent $12m of their $65 million on the 4 new guys plus Wise.

Not gonna lie. I wanted him gone. He gets dominated in the run game at times and leaves big gaps. Bad at stopping the run and rarely gets to the qb. 2.5 sacks last year is pathetic. He flashes at times but he will never be Trey Flowers. I thought we won free agency with the tight end signing and this brings me back down to earth lol.

That's a hefty contract for the role the guy plays. Bill must be confident in his ability to grow.

2.5m gtd per year isn't really hefty.
it depends whether the non-guaranteed money is straight-up or how much is in the form of incentives. Also we're talking about a situational guy and a player who plays a position that puts a lot of strain on the body.

I'd say it's a moderate risk and potential overpay but nothing earth shattering.

This move will be worse if Guy isn't re-signed. Money should be towards him. You can draft another Wise. He is the Elandon Roberts of the DL.

This move will be worse if Guy isn't re-signed. Money should be towards him. You can draft another Wise. He is the Elandon Roberts of the DL.

The contract indicates Belichick thinks Wise has a lot of potential but is going to make him work hard to reach his potential and earn that contract. There's a really big gap between the guaranteed money and the potential total value.

I'd disagree with that last sentence. Roberts was a one-trick pony who wasn't very good at his one trick and downright awful at everything else. Wise is mediocre-average in all areas.

I'd disagree with that last sentence. Roberts was a one-trick pony who wasn't very good at his one trick and downright awful at everything else. Wise is mediocre-average in all areas.

a one trick pony with more receiving touchdowns than Jakobi Meyers.

it depends whether the non-guaranteed money is straight-up or how much is in the form of incentives. Also we're talking about a situational guy and a player who plays a position that puts a lot of strain on the body.

I'd say it's a moderate risk and potential overpay but nothing earth shattering.
But if he's rotational he's not going to get those incentives. And if he does get those incentives, he will have beaten out a bunch of guys ahead of him.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back