PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Propaganda Likely to Bear Fruit with Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because this is what the term "propaganda" means, emphasis in my mind, on the term "derogatory."
"prop·a·gan·da
ˌpräpəˈɡandə/
noun
  1. 1.
    derogatory
    information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
    "he was charged with distributing enemy propaganda""
Adam Schefter's unsubstantiated musings are not "Patriots propaganda."

Gotcha. I guess he could have worded that differently but I didn't interpret what he wrote as a negative. I read it as BB was using the back alleys to establish or get a feel for JG's market price which in itself could be done in a purposely misleading way.

Schefter: “In my mind, Sam Bradford went for a 1 and a 4 [round pick], so to me that is the starting point and I don’t even know if they would do it then,”

You are correct that it wasn't from a source and it was his own gut feeling but he put it out there. I'm not sure how much or little impact that has in a establishing a market price for JG.

As for the rest of Steve's article I think he is spot on. Minnesota did give up too much for Bradford and Organizations do panic or make dumb moves. The Jets are regretting the Revi$ deal and the Texans have benched Brock O$$weiler.

JG performed well during his audition. There are only 10-15 decent QB's in the league. Some teams feel they are just a QB away from contending. The Bills have felt that way for over a decade.

Anyways I think Steve's premise is correct. BB is listening, there are desperate teams and someone may overpay.
I don't think teams operate out of desperation at all. I don't think every decision that turns out badly means it was desperate.
If AP stayed healthy and with a good D a better QB than Shaun hill would be worth a #1 to a contender and I'm sure they expected to be competitive in a dovosion where 9-6 is first.

As far as a QB away that's a euphemism that seems untrue.
Green Bay, NO, SD, Dallas, Detroit, Atlanta to name a few habe the QB and they aren't winning (Dallas referring to the romo years btw).

Why a first and fourth? The Pats forfeit their highest fourth this draft. Just bad reporting.

This whole 'story' has basically been a perfect illustration of how much the media sucks. When asked on the radio, Schefter said something along the lines of "well, Bradford went for a first and a fourth, so I'd bet that's the starting point of any trade discussions".

In response to which, a bunch of other outlets decided to make a story out of the opinion of a guy who never claimed to have any particular insight or inside knowledge into what the Patriots are looking for or where their heads are at. Depending on who you read, this was spun as "the Patriots expect a first and a fourth", "the Patriots hope for a first and a fourth", or even "the Patriots are demanding a minimum of a first and fourth". All based on clearly misrepresenting a comment made by--again, I can't stress this enough--just another reporter who has no particular insight or inside knowledge into any of this.

And people wonder why nobody takes the media seriously anymore. They're all like this, even when they're reporting stuff that actually matters. When the messengers become the story, they're in all likelihood peddling ********/speculation as fact.

Pat's should ask for Cleveland's whole draft ... :rolleyes:

Schefter: “In my mind, Sam Bradford went for a 1 and a 4 [round pick], so to me that is the starting point and I don’t even know if they would do it then”.

Balestrieri: "Adam Schefter of ESPN was on WEEI this week and said his sources within the Patriots have told him that the baseline for a trade for Jimmy G. would begin with the Bradford deal, a first and a fourth rounder"

The rest of the article is based on the false premise that the source of the information is from within the building i.e. "Patriots propoganda", but that's false.

Balestrieri and/or patsfans.com should take this report down, it's factually incorrect as well as inflammatory.

It goes both ways. Jimmy could also do poorly and hurt his trade value. His portfolio of action in 6 quarters is the baseline, and it is a good baseline. I see it as he was more likely to hurt his baseline than help it by throwing.
Actually his portfolio consists of more than that. Although preseason stats are less of an indicator than regular season, it is still against NFL quality players. JG's reg. season sampling is actually better. Combining his career regular and preseason stats he is a combined 206-307 for 67.1%, 2268 yds, 13 TD's, 3 Int's for a 98.8 passer rating.

As Steve pointed out in his article (and I agree) the more reasonable thought would be a high 2nd+ a 5th or a 4th next year. If Clev. sent us #33 and #148 or Chi at #35 and #150 would anyone complain? Stupid question. Probably the same people who thought Hou was going to send us #1 overall for Mallett.

JG will be a hot commodity but I don't see any team from #14 and up that isn't already committed to a QB for next year and with the rookie wage scale I don't think anyone's going to give up a top 14 pick. As much as people like to rag on him,he DOES NOT have Sam Bradford's resume.

Propoganda? Patsfans.com writers seem to be falling into the Boston Sports Talk Radio trap, sigh...
Well, there was an extra week between games...

Well Steve did misrepresent what Shefter said. I'm surprised since Shefter had a well- publicized feud with Dilfer about this.

Look Shefter is a pro. He's almost always spot on. He doesn't make wild speculations about stuff and I know he's highly respected by coaches including BB. But he's pretty adamant about a potential asking price. And anybody who's really studied the situation from all angles knows the Pats hold all the leverage. I think people are grossly underestimating what the Pats can get for JG.

jimmy ain't going anywhere ya bunch of knuckleheads

agree about underestimating. JG is not Mallet or Hoyer, he's a starter and starters are expensive.

agree about underestimating. JG is not Mallet or Hoyer, he's a starter and starters are expensive.

exactly..........look at some of the QB's starting in this league.......good draft picks are almost pointlesswith guys like that

a team like the bears would instantly be a playoff team with a QB like jimmy........no so with anything they could get with their top 2 picks in the 2017 draft

most GMs don't last long enough to develop a starting QB

Actually his portfolio consists of more than that. Although preseason stats are less of an indicator than regular season, it is still against NFL quality players. JG's reg. season sampling is actually better. Combining his career regular and preseason stats he is a combined 206-307 for 67.1%, 2268 yds, 13 TD's, 3 Int's for a 98.8 passer rating.

As Steve pointed out in his article (and I agree) the more reasonable thought would be a high 2nd+ a 5th or a 4th next year. If Clev. sent us #33 and #148 or Chi at #35 and #150 would anyone complain? Stupid question. Probably the same people who thought Hou was going to send us #1 overall for Mallett.

JG will be a hot commodity but I don't see any team from #14 and up that isn't already committed to a QB for next year and with the rookie wage scale I don't think anyone's going to give up a top 14 pick. As much as people like to rag on him,he DOES NOT have Sam Bradford's resume.

Again, if you're a team desperate for a quality QB with some cap space, would you pick one of those mediocre QBs (that will be gone in the first round because of the high demand) over the last year of the rookie contract for a relatively proven quality starter in a sophisticated offense + a franchise tag if not extended before (or possibly two consecutive tags) = 2 years of JimmyG at 11M$/year (or 3 at 14-15) ? If the GMs prefer to pay Mike Trubisky or Kizer or whoever 5-6M$/year over 4-5 years and call it a safer bet, so be it. But there is no reason in a seller market to accept for a Jimmy's trade less that what teams would have to invest in term of draft capital to get the "top" qbs of that poor draft class.

jimmy ain't going anywhere ya bunch of knuckleheads

That would be my hope. But I don't see a realistic scenario that allows them to keep him. That would involve JG not only taking a major hometown discount but also agreeing to sit on the bench for 3 MORE years. Seriously doubt he'd do that. Or it would mean tagging him at a huge salary that would be as much or more than TB makes. You really think the Pats will tie up that much $ on one position?
I like JG. I'd feel good about him taking over for the goat. Just can't see a scenario where that happens. The timing is all wrong.

That would be my hope. But I don't see a realistic scenario that allows them to keep him. That would involve JG not only taking a major hometown discount but also agreeing to sit on the bench for 3 MORE years. Seriously doubt he'd do that. Or it would mean tagging him at a huge salary that would be as much or more than TB makes. You really think the Pats will tie up that much $ on one position?
I like JG. I'd feel good about him taking over for the goat. Just can't see a scenario where that happens. The timing is all wrong.
There's not room for both Brady and JG. Jimmy G needs to get his career in high gear next year, or worst case the year after. He's going to be a star.

The only scenario where he stays is if Brady tells the team he's going to retire after next year, which looks very unlikely seeing as he's the best in the business and looking/feeling better than ever.

I see no reason to move him unless they get blown away with an offer.......while Brady is not declining, at 40, and an SB contending team as long as they have the QB, JG's value to stay for 1 year is huge as insurance....they can still get something for him after 2017 and the difference in the value then is smaller than the value of having him here for anouther year....to me anyway

Again, if you're a team desperate for a quality QB with some cap space, would you pick one of those mediocre QBs (that will be gone in the first round because of the high demand) over the last year of the rookie contract for a relatively proven quality starter in a sophisticated offense + a franchise tag if not extended before (or possibly two consecutive tags) = 2 years of JimmyG at 11M$/year (or 3 at 14-15) ? If the GMs prefer to pay Mike Trubisky or Kizer or whoever 5-6M$/year over 4-5 years and call it a safer bet, so be it. But there is no reason in a seller market to accept for a Jimmy's trade less that what teams would have to invest in term of draft capital to get the "top" qbs of that poor draft class.
The question would be how high of a draft pick do you believe is obtainable? Clev. at #12 would be my best guess with no other picks involved.

I see no reason to move him unless they get blown away with an offer.......while Brady is not declining, at 40, and an SB contending team as long as they have the QB, JG's value to stay for 1 year is huge as insurance....they can still get something for him after 2017 and the difference in the value then is smaller than the value of having him here for anouther year....to me anyway
If we kept him and he left for a sizeable contract in 2018 we could be looking at a 2019 3rd RD comp at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes