PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots OTA's 5-31-2023

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Should we read too much into a WR Toasting Miles Bryant??

And...

"Kyle Dugger, J.J. Taylor, Demario Douglas, Myles Bryant and Jabrill Peppers fielded punts from both Corliss Waitman and rookie sixth-round pick Bryce Baringer. Bryant muffed one kick from Baringer, who displayed good hang time on most of his kicks. Both punters unleashed several impressive kicks during the period."

Cunningham, QB --> WR as I expected.

BoneyT looking ok.

BOB taking charge compared to last year's Keystone Kops fiasco.

Boutte's ankle looking good.

The less I hear Judge's name mentioned the more I'll enjoy this season.
Oh, and Bryant getting toasted deep and Bryant muffing a punt. The more Bryant fail the better. Make the cut decision inevitable.

I am encouraged by the fact that we are hearing so much about Demario Douglas in the very first practice. He has the tools to be really solid. Not very fast but explosive short area quickness. They’ve needed an Edelman replacement.

Mac Jones looking GOATy out there today. The leader of this team showing the rest of the squad how it is done.

This is going to be a tough season for some of the Mac hating virgins on here.
Show us Wins is all that matters.

Beat Buffalo, Miami, KC if your boy is the real deal.

Do we have a report on Gonzalez' absence?

Early morning stretching and cardio workout, followed by pancake breakfast.
Watched some Netflix while digesting, but efforts to uncover exactly what he watched have been stymied. Very frustrating.
Studied the playbook late morning.
Had Zoom lunch with agent to get update on contract details.
Early afternoon weight session.
More playbook after that.
Chicken pot pie for dinner.
Took laptop and playbook into bedroom after dinner. Apparently, suffering from a cold and dry skin, as he also took tissues and lotion. Perhaps that's why he's not at practice.

Will keep up this reporting if you guys find it useful.

I didn’t think much of signing OT Anderson but I’ve come around to it. Like the reps he got at LT. Maybe he can start there…he sounds motivated according to recent interviews. Keep him there until he’s not cutting it. #nomusicalchairs

Sow took reps at RT. While LT ofc covers the blind side but IMO RT is harder to play. I’d rather see him and Anderson duke it out at LT with Brown and Reiff vie for RT.

Last edited:
I’d prefer a report indicating that Joe “Eddie Mush” Judge was seen collecting his personal belongings in a box and heading for his vehicle.
"... James Ferentz tried to block his path but Judge easily sidestepped him. Myles Bryant trailed him asking for a ride but couldn't quite catch up."

true, but better than looking bad in shorts and shells lol

Yup. Looking good in shorts and shells is the first step to looking good in pads, which is the first step to looking good in a game. Not gonna place a wager on Tyquan getting 1000 yards this year based on it, but at this point in the offseason it's the best news you can hear.

I’d prefer a report indicating that Joe “Eddie Mush” Judge was seen collecting his personal belongings in a box and heading for his vehicle.
Everyone is pissed at how last year went, and Judge didn't acquit himself well. And he didn't do so great in New York, either.

That said, before Judge left for the Giants, and the reason he got a head coaching job in the first place was because the Patriots' special teams under his direction were the envy of the league. Clockwork. Some people have a ceiling for responsibility and get in trouble whenever the stage gets too big.
Doesn't mean that Judge can't go back to directing a great ST unit. And while the NFL is trying to diminish the role of STs, the lack of a top-tier unit has cost the Pats at least 4 games over the last couple of years. If Judge can bring them back to prominence, I really don't care about last year or the Giants' stint.

Everyone is pissed at how last year went, and Judge didn't acquit himself well. And he didn't do so great in New York, either.

That said, before Judge left for the Giants, and the reason he got a head coaching job in the first place was because the Patriots' special teams under his direction were the envy of the league. Clockwork. Some people have a ceiling for responsibility and get in trouble whenever the stage gets too big.
Doesn't mean that Judge can't go back to directing a great ST unit. And while the NFL is trying to diminish the role of STs, the lack of a top-tier unit has cost the Pats at least 4 games over the last couple of years. If Judge can bring them back to prominence, I really don't care about last year or the Giants' stint.

Agreed, and while the league seems to be downplaying the kickoff, I would say the rest of ST's has either stayed the same or actually been changed to make a well run unit more important. Punts are largely unchanged and (IMO) are a more consistently exciting play than a kickoff. You have the opportunity for a fake, the possibility of a blocked punt, a higher chance at a fumble or muff by the receiving team, and the returns themselves are usually more interesting visually (again, just my opinion).

Field goals are largely unchanged, but PAT's have recently been made more difficult, so an emphasis on a well run operation there is critical now.

I feel for guys like Slater, because fewer kick returns takes a chunk of their role away, but there's still a LOT of things on ST that are potentially game breaking, and a guy who can coach those things up is valuable. As long as players are buying in (which it sounds like Slater at least is), Joe Judge has a proven track record in that area.

Was he an awful head coach? Yes
Was he an awful co-OC and QB coach? Yes
Does he have an attitude problem? Yes
Was he a very good ST coordinator who players like Matt Slater respect? Yes

All of the above can be true.

Was he an awful head coach? Yes
Was he an awful co-OC and QB coach? Yes
Does he have an attitude problem? Yes
Was he a very good ST coordinator who players like Matt Slater respect? Yes

All of the above can be true.
I don't think he would've ever panned out as a head coach, but there is no denying the Giants front office handcuffed him. I mean, the assistant coach and coordinator positions over there were handled badly. They were not under Judge's control.

When an OC gets HC money, he always takes it for the 1st time, no matter the conditions of his employment. That doesn't mean he would've been a success if the front office wasn't otherwise screwed up, but it does mean he has almost no chance.

Harry still looked slow in shorts and pads.
Yep. Joejuan would also get repeatedly abused. I think that looking good in shorts doesn't always translate, but for WRs and CBs, looking bad almost always does. At least that's my conjecture and I'm sticking with it until shown otherwise.

You could say guys like Rodney and Browner and even Otis weren't great in shorts but did it when it counted, but they were exceptions and it was a different game then.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back