PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots new OC - Alex Van Pelt

I've heard the 2025 draft has a pretty weak QB class...

What's the use of stockpiling for a draft class that is weak in the the position of biggest need?

If I'm wrong about the draft class, then let me know, but if true, it's gonna be a ****in' weird three years at the least (should your prediction ring true.)
There isn't one. People are just cowardly and think a draft pick is so valuable that taking a player who is even a small risk is mistake. We aren't fixing this team with one draft pick. If you think the QB is there, get him. If you don't, get MHJ and finally fix the WR issue we've had since we traded Cooks away and be done with it.

One things that maybe interesting one way or another, the team is going to have to make a decision what to do with QB. Whether it is a veteran stopgap, or a rookie picked between 3 and 199. AvP has played the position in the league, and coached QBs for most of his professional life.

He should have a good idea of what to look for, what may translate, and what will be a problem.

I think when people said they wanted experience they were hoping for someone who maybe had been a HC before or who had at least been calling plays the last few years. But I guess when you hire a HC who never was a coordinator this is par for the course.
Lol, less than 24 hours ago, ppl were saying nibidy wanted to come here, but you want a HC to come here as an OC. Stop crying and get excited for your team.

BB can’t even get a job right now, why prolong the rebuild by keeping him here? You wanted to sit through another year like we just had? We were trending in the wrong direction.
change is hard, but I’m intrigued to see what happens.

I don't think anyone was asking to fire Belichick so we can hire a coordinator who was fired by the Browns.

I thought we were going to aim a little higher but I guess not.

I've heard the 2025 draft has a pretty weak QB class...

What's the use of stockpiling for a draft class that is weak in the the position of biggest need?

If I'm wrong about the draft class, then let me know, but if true, it's gonna be a ****in' weird three years at the least (should your prediction ring true.)
The draft class where Jordan love was drafted was also touted to be really weak but love seems to be the best qb now of 2020 and 2021 class.

2021 a highly regarded class has spectacularly flamed out . At this point i would want them to draft true blue chippers as opposed to QBs where the probability is much lower.

Tua developed after 3 years , love started in his 4th year, Goff is coming of age in his 2nd team. What if Mac can hold the Forte for 2 more years as a reasonable stop gap while we get our franchise qb either in 2025 or 2026.

I love this choice! Tons of experience, a west coast system, former QB, longtime QB coach, and got a ton of offense out of a revolving door of QBs last year including the corpse of Joe Flacco. Worked with Aaron Rodgers during his prime as his QB coach. There’s a lot to like here. Don’t know why people are so damn whiny. If they hired some 32 year old with no experience that would’ve been wrong too.
I wasnt whiny until I found out he wasnt even calling the goddamn plays last year. I mean…he wasnt calling the plays AND he got fired?

We are just another team ....for now...
screw that we are The Patriots...

Just ask Tom Arnold
ITXWqeh.jpg

and Ron Jaworski
BZoJleM.jpg

I was confused why they put the Special Teams Coordinator as the biggest picture and at the top - seemed like an odd choice - but considering all 3 guys’ relative attractiveness levels, it ends up making sense.
It's the order of scapegoats to be blamed starting at the top..

I wasnt whiny until I found out he wasnt even calling the goddamn plays last year. I mean…he wasnt calling the plays AND he got fired?

AND they didn't win.

Was this a "Severe desperation because no one else really wanted the position hire"?
Van Pelt had an interview with Bucs tomorrow. Mayo didn't let him leave the building. Smart move since he coached Baker in CLE.

It would all sound great if people weren't regularly firing the guy.
Everyone gets fired eventually. The coach can only do so much. The players they acquire are going to influence how good this offense is FAR more than van pelt is. But he can at least mentor the QB competently and provide a QB friendly scheme.

I just don’t know what people expected. It’s like some people expected Sean McVay himself to come as the coordinator.

You are either getting someone with no experience, or someone with experience who as been fired elsewhere. Those are basically the options.

Whelp….this is as uninspiring as it gets. Only moves I like so far are Covi and Mayo. Now I’m questioning if I should even like those. I’m just getting a serious no sense of direction vibe and it’s concerning.
It's a growing club. Welcome!

Everyone is saying that, but what they are also ignoring is that happens every year. Daniels, now being considered for top 3, in May of '23 he was the 9th ranked QB by PFF.
What happens every year is that a few QB's get overrated and become first round talents. In 2021 Trevor Lawrence was the no brainer, Trey Lance was the project who could pan out. Zach Wilson got overhyped due to a combine, Mac and Fields were considered more reliable but were probably really 2nd/3rd round talents that got treated much better than they should have out of team need and general draft hype.

Lol, less than 24 hours ago, ppl were saying nibidy wanted to come here, but you want a HC to come here as an OC. Stop crying and get excited for your team.
Pay up instead of cheaping out and maybe you'd get someone.

Bob taking notes from the Red Sox apparently.

I am not impressed with Mayo’s hirings so far. It’s like a reject of other teams ! So much for thinking we would become more innovative!!! I will obviously wait and reserve final judgement during the season but first impressions are not very good.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back