PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots need to keep Revis, even if it means picking up year 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, let's presume that Revis doesn't have to be the highest paid corner in history.

QUESTION
Why does it follow that this means that he'll sign with the patriots?

ANALYSIS
We have our own analysis of why players shouldn't choose anyone but the patriots. The are plenty of playoff quality teams with $20M of cap room available: IND, CIN, DEN, SD, GB, SEA. Surely, ONE of them might sell Revis on the idea that he could be THE difference maker for them, the one player who puts them over the top.

Other playoff teams with less cap room available might sign a 5-year deal with $25M salaries in year 4 and 5 to push the cost out to after the "real" contract.

CONCLUSION
Revis has two fine alternatives available to him. He can play for one year for $20M. Or, he can play for a team that he wants to play for. If Revis is sure that this team is the patriots, then a contract could be signed in the next three weeks. If Revis isn't sure, then he can see other offers, before making a decision.

I do find it interesting that almost everyone believes that if Revis hitting the open market means that he will choose someone else. I guess we feel that if NE is his first choice, then he'll sign in the next thee weeks.

THE OPEN QUESTION
Other than the fact that we are patriots fans, why wouldn't Revis listen to sales pitches from teams like SEA, DEN and GB?

SEA: 20m Revis + 14m Shermam + 10 m Thomas + 7m Chancellor + 19m Wilson + 8m Lynch = 6 players =+- 80m or 57% of the cap. Is this reasonable?
DEN: 1 year with Manning and them ....
GB: Maybe. But i think GB is a really small market to Revis.

Since when is "15 million dollars the going rate for a corner?"The franchise tag is what? 12-13 million at best, and that's the average of the top 5 salaries at the position.

Hell, the best few cornerbacks in the game are making between 13-14 million a year, and that only totals about 3-4 people in the entire NFL. To take it one step further, those few players were recently signed to brand new deals, and are all in their mid-20s.

I think 13-14 million dollars per year AAV would be fine. Of course the deal breaker will likely be the way the contract is structured as well as the guaranteed money.

Jason LaCanfora has the 2015 franchise tag at $12.96 million based on a cap of $142 million per team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...e-tags-position-by-position-projected-numbers

The Patriots will have to be in the 4 years, $52 million range with something like $30+ million guaranteed to have a friendly discussion. If they let him get to free agency, somebody is likely to step up with $60 over 4 years with $45 million guaranteed, or 5 at $75 million. He'll have some leverage. But again, a lot depends on who that team might be.

Miguel Benzan does a nice job with comparables in this story. (Hey Miguel, when I file my property tax abatement, could you do this for me ?) http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=1476?sc=rss

A question I have is whether Revis is the kind of guy who could shift to safety at 34- or 35-years-old to keep playing deep into this contract. Charles Woodson made the shift from CB to Safety with the Green Bay Packers while he was on a seven-year deal which took him in to his mid-30s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Woodson

Revis is slighter than Woodson, so safety may not be an option down the road. But if that were the case, a longer term deal with incentives in the latter years of the deal, might be the way to go to lock him in and have that veteran presence in the secondary to stabilize things.

Last edited:
How do all the other teams, without Revis, manage to avoid having the worst pass defense in football?
Schemes based on talented pass rushers, more talent in the secondary.

just a question,why is it people here

1. Think it is unrealistic patriots pay revis 13-15million when they paid gronk, wilfork, mayo?

2. that Revis will go to a black hole like buffalo or the jets?

yes, we won the superbowl. but dont forget what got us there. paying revis 12million and Gronkowski(whom has a healthy contract) I swear some people here want the team trotting out a bunch of UDFA's. "cut browner! cut revis!"

bill will pay revis. he always pays for unique talent.

I believe that Kirwin's exact words were, "Let Buffalo offer him $14 million a year. The Pats can just match the deal and Revis will sign with the Pats."

This one is a pretty easy negotiation because the market for top-dollar cornerbacks has been so clearly set with the very recent signings. The only bidders likely to ignore the market are perennially bad franchises who make mistake after mistake overpaying in free agency who happen to have a ton of cap room. Right now, the Jets would be the marquee team in that category and they are so stupid they'd probably be more likely to overpay for a running back or prima donna WR.

Please do tell what big name that will be a FA has re-signed with his team since the end of the season?
he doesn't need to resign, just restructure/extend. So it's not quite the same thing.

I believe that Kirwin's exact words were, "Let Buffalo offer him $14 million a year. The Pats can just match the deal and Revis will sign with the Pats."

This one is a pretty easy negotiation because the market for top-dollar cornerbacks has been so clearly set with the very recent signings. The only bidders likely to ignore the market are perennially bad franchises who make mistake after mistake overpaying in free agency who happen to have a ton of cap room. Right now, the Jets would be the marquee team in that category and they are so stupid they'd probably be more likely to overpay for a running back or prima donna WR.
Suppose Buffalo offers him 20M per year? Then the pats can match...oh wait.

he doesn't need to resign, just restructure/extend. So it's not quite the same thing.

same thing. it is essentially re-signing with the patriots. and we havent heard of any big names yet really.

If Buffalo offers $20 million a year to a CB, then you thank Revis for a great year and helping the Pats win a fourth ring and chuckle at the fact that a division rival will likely continue a long string of suck with bad cap management.

There is a reason bad teams are bad. Overpaying in free agency is a big one.

If Buffalo offers $20 million a year to a CB, then you thank Revis for a great year and helping the Pats win a fourth ring and chuckle at the fact that a division rival will likely continue a long string of suck with bad cap management.

There is a reason bad teams are bad. Overpaying in free agency is a big one.

not to mention the fact that that 20million NEEDS to be spent on offense for buffalo. they have No QB and right now no RB's. unless they feel their defense can hold teams to 6points a game. because EJ manuel surely isnt scoring much more than that! say goodbye to them signing cutler of a josh mccown

I think you guys are completely missing kennyg's point. What he is trying to say is that exile has been really really tough for him and all the other milk carton kids, who have suffered through month after month where they couldn't crap all over Belichick and the Patriots and then the worst possible thing that could happen did happen.........THE PATRIOTS WON THE SUPER BOWL!!!

Son of a *****.

Now they are faced with the prospect that Revis will return and they could repeat.

Son of a *****.

Now kenny'g and the rest of the milk carton kids have to hope and pray with all their little hearts that Revis signs elsewhere so they can regain the hope that the Patriots fail to repeat and they can all go back to telling us all how bad a GM Belichick is and how they can never win it all with Belichick leading them.

Don't believe me? Go back and read the "BAD DRAFTING = MEDIOCRE RESULTS," and the "BELICHICK IS TO BLAME" Threads from the week after the KC game, they spell out just how much Belichick and the Patriots suck in great detail. A week later they went into hiding and are just peeking their little heads back out now.

Suppose the Browns offer him 50 million a year?

What then?

I think you guys are completely missing kennyg's point. What he is trying to say is that exile has been really really tough for him and all the other milk carton kids, who have suffered through month after month where they couldn't crap all over Belichick and the Patriots and then the worst possible thing that could happen did happen.........THE PATRIOTS WON THE SUPER BOWL!!!

Son of a *****.

Now they are faced with the prospect that Revis will return and they could repeat.

Son of a *****.

Now kenny'g and the rest of the milk carton kids have to hope and pray with all their little hearts that Revis signs elsewhere so they can regain the hope that the Patriots fail to repeat and they can all go back to telling us all how bad a GM Belichick is and how they can never win it all with Belichick leading them.

Don't believe me? Go back and read the "BAD DRAFTING = MEDIOCRE RESULTS," and the "BELICHICK IS TO BLAME" Threads from the week after the KC game, they spell out just how much Belichick and the Patriots suck in great detail. A week later they went into hiding and are just peeking their little heads back out now.
Anyone who has ever criticized drafting is a troll right? I've posted here all along, and when challenged you couldn't find a single post of mine that said what you said it did, namely, that I said Belichick had "ruined" the patriots. I doubt I even posted to those threads. Classic smear.

Now I'm a troll for noticing that Revis has never taken a hometown discount and he's most likely on his way out the door. Not that that's a bad thing. But I think, just my opinion, that all the "they could sign him for $13M blah blah" is missing the point. IF they could have, they WOULD have.

Only a pats hater could say that I guess. So what will you say when it and if it happens? Reality is a pats troll?

then he'll be gone. That's my point.

Of course. If some damn fool franchise offers Revis $20 million a year, he's probably going to take it (although it's not guaranteed that he would sign with a dumpster-fire team at any price).

That's just the way the NFL works. The good teams don't overpay in free agency. The crappy teams do -- because their idiot management believes that a "big splash" will improve their team and/or increase ticket sales.

If that happens, then the New England Patriots are the youngest reigning SuperBowl champions in the history of the NFL and in a strong position, $15 million or so under the cap heading into the start of the league year. As the legendary Junior Johnson once famously said, "Aw reckon' that don't suck TOO bad..."

Last edited:
Of course. If some damn fool franchise offers Revis $20 million a year, he's probably going to take it (although it's not guaranteed that he would sign with a dumster-fire team at any price).

That's just the way the NFL works. The good teams don't overpay in free agency. The crappy teams do -- because their idiot management believes that a "big splash" will improve their team and/or increase ticket sales.

If that happens, then the New England Patriots are the youngest reigning SuperBowl champions in the history of the NFL and in a strong position, $15 million or so under the cap heading into the start of the league year. As the legendary Junior Johnson once famously said, "Aw reckon' that don't suck TOO bad..."
Yes, I think that's exactly right.

Anyone who has ever criticized drafting is a troll right? I've posted here all along, and when challenged you couldn't find a single post of mine that said what you said it did, namely, that I said Belichick had "ruined" the patriots. I doubt I even posted to those threads. Classic smear.

Now I'm a troll for noticing that Revis has never taken a hometown discount and he's most likely on his way out the door. Not that that's a bad thing. But I think, just my opinion, that all the "they could sign him for $13M blah blah" is missing the point. IF they could have, they WOULD have.

Only a pats hater could say that I guess. So what will you say when it and if it happens? Reality is a pats troll?

13-15million is not a hometown discount, its the market value for a corner. You are the one resting under the assumption that revis is going to get 18-20million$ from a team with nothing to back it up.

No big would be FA has signed with their teams as of yet, yet you are here assuming revis is gone. How will you look in 2 weeks if/when he signs with the patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes