PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots need to keep Revis, even if it means picking up year 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying that at this point in certain careers, one could realistically choose a 4/50 contract over a 4/52 contract without much problem.

IMHO, there are lots and lots of reasons a player might choose a contract that pays $500K a year less at any time in their careers.

Kirwin discussed the Revis negotiation today. He expressed the opinion that the Pats could just let him shop around and then, when Buffalo offers him $15 million a year, just match it. Revis would obviously rather play for New England where he has a good chance of going back to the SuperBowl.

I agree with Kirwin, but I would rather see Revis establish his market price and the Pats match it BEFORE the Pats actually release him! The Jets are sitting on nearly unlimited cap space and might do something stupid like offer him a $5 year $100 million deal.

Kirwin discussed the Revis negotiation today. He expressed the opinion that the Pats could just let him shop around and then, when Buffalo offers him $15 million a year, just match it. Revis would obviously rather play for New England where he has a good chance of going back to the SuperBowl.

What happens if the Colts or another playoff contender makes the same or better offer?

What happens if the Colts or another playoff contender makes the same or better offer?

Kirwin is confident that, at the same money, Revis would obviously prefer to continue playing for Bill Belichick and the Patriots. I think Kirwin is right.

The Colts are not really a championship contender with their inability to not get crushed by the Pats. Combine that with a dope addict owner and a dumb-ass GM and you have little likelihood of improvement.

To be honest, as I look around the AFC, the only teams that I see as perennial contenders are the Ravens and the Steelers (if they can successfully get younger and rebuild). I don't see Denver getting better as Peyton approaches 40.

In the NFC, it's Seattle (that doesn't need Revis) and Green Bay.

None of the serious contenders are likely to outbid loser franchises like the Bills, Jets, Raiders, etc.

Kirwin brings a national perspective to the scene that we miss in New England -- how much really good players would like to play for a powerhouse team like the Patriots. Of course, it's still show me the money, but the Pats, league-wide, are perceived as the creme-de-la-creme of franchises to play for.

Last edited:
The Colts are not really a championship contender with their inability to not get crushed by the Pats. Combine that with a dope addict owner and a dumb-ass GM and you have little likelihood of improvement.

Some might think that if Revis went to the colts, they might be a bit more likely to go further.

Some might think that if Revis went to the colts, they might be a bit more likely to go further.

The owner is a junkie. The GM is more concerned about footballs than winning an AFC championship game. And, together, they pull a 3-Stooges move trading a first round pick for Trent Richardson.

Have you seen the scores of the last four Pats-Colts games?

Seriously. The Colts a contender? They need more than a $16 million a year CB.

IMHO, there are lots and lots of reasons a player might choose a contract that pays $500K a year less at any time in their careers.

Yes, and having already accumulated 100+ million dollars throughout their career (to date) is certainly one pretty big reason--which was my entire point.

Have you seen the scores of the last four Pats-Colts games?

Seriously. The Colts a contender? They need more than a $16 million a year CB.

I think we'll all assume that you're kidding....

The "bumbling/stumbling" Colts made it to the AFC Championship game and have the best young, up and coming QB in all of football.

There's absolutely zero reason whatsoever to think that they can't vastly improve with the #1 free agent in the NFL (should Revis hit the open market) on one side and Vontae Davis on the other.

We've seen them improve already since Luck came there. Why can't it continue to happen through free agency + the draft? What are you saying? You're going to write them off forever based on the results of the past 2-3 years?

Yes. With a junkie owner and an idiot GM, I'm writing off the Colts. Oh, they'll make it to the playoffs. How could you NOT in a division with the Texans, Jaguars, and Titans? But, no. They are a lot more than one player away from being perennial championship franchise (even with Trent Richardson).

They fired Bill Polian, who had the proven track record.

This guy is in charge:

More Colts management:

Same money. Who do you sign to play for? Colts or Pats?

Yes. With a junkie owner and an idiot GM, I'm writing off the Colts.

The NFL postseason is all about luck, momentum, and home field advantage. While I agree that they're more than "just" one player away, adding an important piece like Revis makes them much, much different.

Add in another player or two, or maybe a good draft, and yes---the Colts could definitely take a step or two forward.

The four Pats/Colts games (the Luck era):

59-24
43-22
42-20
45-7

I would say that the Colts have a real problem getting to the SuperBowl in the AFC. Their only real hope is that a good team knocks off the Pats for them in the tournament.

No wonder the Patriots are in Grigson's head, to the point where he is running around in the pouring rain worrying about footballs with 5 minutes left in the first half of the AFC championship game. Loser.

The four Pats/Colts games (the Luck era):

59-24
43-22
42-20
45-7

I would say that the Colts have a real problem getting to the SuperBowl in the AFC. Their only real hope is that a good team knocks off the Pats for them in the tournament.

I get that the past 2-3 yrs of Luck + other talent has = big losses, but why would anyone believe that the addition of Darrelle Revis wouldn't significantly improve their team?

I actually think that any one of Revis, Vereen, or McCourty would make the Colts much, much better.

No wonder the Patriots are in Grigson's head, to the point where he is running around in the pouring rain worrying about footballs with 5 minutes left in the first half of the AFC championship game. Loser.

With the report that came out tonight, I really don't know what to think about any of it anymore. I honestly have no idea, aside from the fact that all of these reports and leaks continue to make the team look bad in the court of public opinion.

I get that the past 2-3 yrs of Luck + other talent has = big losses, but why would anyone believe that the addition of Darrelle Revis wouldn't significantly improve their team?

That's not really the question. The question:

For the same money, would Revis rather play for Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots or the Indianapolis Colts? Which one is the winning team with excellence top to bottom in the organization? Which one has a junkie owner and a 3-stooges GM? Which one has a coach that is on Revis' level of football intelligence and commitment?

Which one is more likely to get to the Superbowl next year or in any of the next three years?

Kirwin's opinion is that, at the same money, Revis wanting to play for the Pats is a no-brainer. I believe Kirwin is right (unless you get into a bruised-ego pissing contest over money).

That's not really the question. The question:

For the same money, would Revis rather play for Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots or the Indianapolis Colts? Which one is the winning team with excellence top to bottom in the organization? Which one has a junkie owner and a 3-stooges GM? Which one has a coach that is on Revis' level of football intelligence and commitment?

Which one is more likely to get to the Superbowl next year or in any of the next three years?

Kirwin's opinion is that, at the same money, Revis wanting to play for the Pats is a no-brainer. I believe Kirwin is right (unless you get into a bruised-ego pissing contest over money).

As Miguel asked though, what if a competitor like the Colts offered more money, or better terms (more guaranteed money, etc)?

We all know that allowing any coveted player to hit the open market of free agency is an obvious way to significantly decrease your chances of retaining him. Any team can throw out more money or better terms and easily pry the player away. Often times, we see multiple teams try to bid for a special player.

We all like to pretend that there are no other competitors in the NFL outside of N.England (and maybe SEA as you said, who doesn't have a need for CBs, although they may if Maxwell leaves), but that's just not true. There are at least 6-8 teams in the NFL who are considered "consistently good," who may attract a free agent away from N.England.

I already said that I disagree with Kirwin about letting Revis hit the market. That's usually when egos get in the way of a reasonable negotiation. I say git 'er done. Somewhere between 3 years/$42 million and 5 years/$75 million (backloaded).

I already said that I disagree with Kirwin about letting Revis hit the market. That's usually when egos get in the way of a reasonable negotiation. I say git 'er done. Somewhere between 3 years/$42 million and 5 years/$75 million (backloaded).

I couldn't imagine a deal where they backloaded Revis' contract, but that's just me....

He's about to turn 30, so a 5 yr deal that would be backloaded would really paint the Pats in a corner, wouldn't it? For the record, I doubt the Patriots do a 5 yr deal with him.

By backloaded, I mean a five year deal with a couple of funny money high salary years tacked on the end to raise the average (and force another decision point, much like the $20 million number for 2015). The extra years allow the Pats to amortize the signing bonus over a longer term. I don't see why the Pats wouldn't want to do a longer deal as long as they have outs after three and four years. If Revis is still playing well, it's to their advantage to at least have the option of keeping him. I think it's reasonable to expect three more highly productive seasons.

We'll see soon enough. IMO, the Pats want to lock up Revis for several years. Revis wants to stay with the Pats. The market has been pretty clearly established in the $14 to $15 million range. I really expect the Pats and Revis people to be able to get to a win/win deal that is fair for both.

Revis probably already has Woody Johnson's offer or will get it this week at the Combine. One can only hope Revis agent records it. That would be sweet.... Sign with the Pats and run a sting on the Jets.

Last edited:
We all like to pretend that there are no other competitors in the NFL outside of N.England (and maybe SEA as you said, who doesn't have a need for CBs, although they may if Maxwell leaves), but that's just not true. There are at least 6-8 teams in the NFL who are considered "consistently good," who may attract a free agent away from N.England.

In the AFC:

Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Denver

In the NFC:

Green Bay (but they don't play the free agent market much)
Seattle (recent, but give them their props)
Giants (?)

The quality teams just don't do stupid deals in free agency.

Seems like all the other teams tend to be one-hit wonders, up and down. Revis knows. He's played for the two other teams and the Patriots.

He's won his superbowl I doubt he stays here vs goes to jets on a 5 year 100m deal. Or buffalo where his true love coaches. He's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back