PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots need to keep Revis, even if it means picking up year 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading the Sup/hwc debate this question comes to mind. The 2 OTHER "best CB's in the league" pretty much established the top of the CB market as between $13-14MM/yr. Bother are bigger, faster, and more importantly YOUNGER than Revis. So if Revis' peers have set the market, I have to wonder why is it what we keep on talking about teams offering 15, 16 or even 20 million dollar a year deals to a guy 3-4 years older, who is 5'11 and will be 20 before TC starts. Why is it that we assume everyone else's GM is willing to destroy his cap structure for one guy regardless of his talent. Especially when its a non-QB

I think by now, even the thickest of GM's (take a bow Ryan Grigsom) in the league have come to understand that tying up large percentages of cap space in a few players is a strategy doomed to failure, even if you have a lot of room currently. The only time that strategy works is when teams cheat on the cap. :rolleyes:

Now is it possible someone offers him something that exceeds $14MM/yr by is bit? Yes. Though I think it more likely that the Peterson/Sherman deals have set the market for total dollars, and team might look to improve those deals with better guarantee numbers. Again, pretty risky for a guy who will start TC at 30.

BTW- In a 3 year deal, I'd be willing to take 2 years of "elite/worth the money"play, and live with one year of "not worth the money but good" play

BTW-2 - I don't see a 5 year deal as being out of the question. It allows teams to be more flexible in how they structure those first 3 "real" years.

BTW-3 - The prevailing facts still remain. The Pats are still in position to offer Revis all the things he wants in a team. Someone to pay him what the top CB's in the league are making, Playing for a contender. Playing with coaches and teammates he's comfortable with. Those facts won't change in this process and is why its most likely Revis will remain with the Pats.

Last edited:
My thinking is he wants to make a statement with a JJ Watt type of contract. It's a pride thing. And if he plays somewhere and turns the franchise around, then who gets the credit? HIM. He wins here who gets the credit? Brady. Gronkowski. Edelman. And then him, down #4 or #5. So that's the difference. I bet Buffalo goes all in, 5 years 100M dollars. Top that, NE! They won't.

Buffalo has a good team, except for QB, but if he and his love Ryan win a SB there, then he's almost single handedly turned the franchise around, or at least that's how it'll read.

Good news is that they won't have to cut wilfork and can resign mccourty, Ayers, Branch, etc. etc and.

It's not Belichick's style to let the guy who loves it here and is willing to take a discount leave (mccourty) while keeping the Hamlet guy who isn't sure what he wants to do. Especially when Hamlet will hamstring him.

20 million in cap FREED! Free! Free as a bird!

You really think the bills would bw dumb enough to tie up 20million in a cornerback when they have SERIOUS questions on offense? Their defense is fine

And you really think revis puts them over the top for a superbowl when they probably will have josh mccown at qb?

I am sorry, but letting Revis walk will return us to the days of the leagues worst pass defense. The Patriots have mediocre corners all over the field. Without a true number 1, the Patriots will be back to getting into shootouts and losing.

4/56/32........

I am sorry, but letting Revis walk will return us to the days of the leagues worst pass defense. The Patriots have mediocre corners all over the field. Without a true number 1, the Patriots will be back to getting into shootouts and losing.
Yeah, because that's been the recent history.

The potential offer from Buffalo is a concern. Rex will no doubt try to tempt Revis with more money and a significantly shorter season. Throw in the fact that he will be able to play in the Pro Bowl and attend the year end league awards show and he is good as gone. Who in their right mind would want to have to work for an extra 5 weeks?

My thinking is he wants to make a statement with a JJ Watt type of contract. It's a pride thing. And if he plays somewhere and turns the franchise around, then who gets the credit? HIM. He wins here who gets the credit? Brady. Gronkowski. Edelman. And then him, down #4 or #5. So that's the difference. I bet Buffalo goes all in, 5 years 100M dollars. Top that, NE! They won't.

Buffalo has a good team, except for QB, but if he and his love Ryan win a SB there, then he's almost single handedly turned the franchise around, or at least that's how it'll read.

Good news is that they won't have to cut wilfork and can resign mccourty, Ayers, Branch, etc. etc and.

It's not Belichick's style to let the guy who loves it here and is willing to take a discount leave (mccourty) while keeping the Hamlet guy who isn't sure what he wants to do. Especially when Hamlet will hamstring him.

Florio, is that you?

Yeah, because that's been the recent history.

The Patriots defense has been terrible ever since Samuel left (except for Talib's 1 year appearance). I am highly skeptical of the Patriots ability to play pass defense without a corner la number 1 corner. When I look at the Patriots roster without Revis, I see a bunch of number 2 and 3 corners.

That means a pass defense like a wet paper bag.

The Patriots defense has been terrible ever since Samuel left (except for Talib's 1 year appearance). I am highly skeptical of the Patriots ability to play pass defense without a corner la number 1 corner. When I look at the Patriots roster without Revis, I see a bunch of number 2 and 3 corners.

That means a pass defense like a wet paper bag.

"Terrible" is a bit hyperbolic.

20 million in cap FREED! Free! Free as a bird!

BUT, we will have 5 m in dead money + a NEED to sign the top FA.
I agree with you with, if Buffalo is willing to give him 20m/yr he should/probably go there.
And about Wilfork, independently of whether there is cap space for him or not , I think he has to reduce his numbers.
Patriots need to have flexibilty next year to renew with Hightower and Jones.
They need to do something with Mayo, Wilfork, DA, regardless of Revis situation.

The top of the CB market is 14m. That's what Richard Sherman makes. I don't see any reason why Revis wouldn't be satisfied with a deal that nominally makes him the #1 paid corner, even if it's by just 1m more.

Sherman signed for 57.4m 4 year deal. We could give Revis 58.5m over 4 years without destroying our cap. And this extension needs to be a DONE DEAL before free agency.
Right now we have EXCLUSIVE negotiating rights. If it gets to March 10th and a new deal is not done, then I am worried.

OK, let's presume that Revis doesn't have to be the highest paid corner in history.

QUESTION
Why does it follow that this means that he'll sign with the patriots?

ANALYSIS
We have our own analysis of why players shouldn't choose anyone but the patriots. The are plenty of playoff quality teams with $20M of cap room available: IND, CIN, DEN, SD, GB, SEA. Surely, ONE of them might sell Revis on the idea that he could be THE difference maker for them, the one player who puts them over the top.

Other playoff teams with less cap room available might sign a 5-year deal with $25M salaries in year 4 and 5 to push the cost out to after the "real" contract.

CONCLUSION
Revis has two fine alternatives available to him. He can play for one year for $20M. Or, he can play for a team that he wants to play for. If Revis is sure that this team is the patriots, then a contract could be signed in the next three weeks. If Revis isn't sure, then he can see other offers, before making a decision.

I do find it interesting that almost everyone believes that if Revis hitting the open market means that he will choose someone else. I guess we feel that if NE is his first choice, then he'll sign in the next thee weeks.

THE OPEN QUESTION
Other than the fact that we are patriots fans, why wouldn't Revis listen to sales pitches from teams like SEA, DEN and GB?

How do all the other teams, without Revis, manage to avoid having the worst pass defense in football?

If he were willing to sign here without testing the market, he already would have done so. Thus....he wants to test the market. QED. That's my take. Once Rex starts talking, he's gone gone gone. That's what I think.

You really think its that easy that he already wouldve signed?

Maybe the pats just havent met with him yet. Has any other big would be fa signed a deal yet? Not that I can think of

If he were willing to sign here without testing the market, he already would have done so. Thus....he wants to test the market. QED. That's my take. Once Rex starts talking, he's gone gone gone. That's what I think.

Please do tell what big name that will be a FA has re-signed with his team since the end of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots