PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Minicamp 6-8-2022

Agreed. I've come to dislike Bedard and Curran. Reiss and Perry are OK. Evan Lazar is my current favorite as he's non-negative and backs his opinions up with film. His podcasts with Alex Barth are well worth listening to.
Agree. Curran turned to click bait awhile ago and on occasion he comes back from from the edge. Bedard has done the same in the past couple years.I always count on Reiss, Lazar, Perry to give an honest assessment of what they see and report it appropriately. I am sure they get pressure from upper-management to make more sensationalized tweets and articles.

Agreed. I've come to dislike Bedard and Curran. Reiss and Perry are OK. Evan Lazar is my current favorite as he's non-negative and backs his opinions up with film. His podcasts with Alex Barth are well worth listening to.

Agreed. If Lazar could add Patriots' news and notes with his analysis, and without the "breaking news" approach, he would round into a great reporter. Avoid the sensationalism while blending the film review and updates. Bedard gained exposure by being on F&M but it seems to have effected his approach to reporting as well (negatively), kind of like when a Belichick assistant becomes a head coach and tries to mimic Belichick. Reiss' "news and notes" are great, but he has no strategic or film analysis ability. Curran was Brady's mouthpiece, so now he has nothing and is not worth listening to. Phil Perry tries to round out his analysis by bringing in outside opinions, like his interview with Dante, which I enjoy a lot, but then he spends a lot of time disclaiming his own opinions as not "expert" which is tiring (some politically correct thing).

Lazar has the highest ceiling. If he could add some "news and notes" like Reiss and limited outside interviews like Perry to continue to fill out his Patriot's coverage he would round into a great reporter.

I like Lazar too, although his voice is not made for radio/pods. Sometimes he talks about sources which may or may not exist or tries and gives a controversial/edge take to keep up with the Joneses but not usually. I am not a fan of Barth, though. I find him really annoying. You can hear Lazar getting annoyed by him from time to time as well, when he won’t let a subject/ opinion go and sound like he took too much Adderall. Barth seems to be a guy whom he keeps around bc of his (sort of) name recognition due his online work at either 98.5 or WEEI (can’t remember which) and because he is a draft guy and Lazar is not.

Lazar is very dry and has a monotone voice. He could use someone who knows football but who is also likable and funny. Someone like Jerry Thornton but with less comedy/ fewer one-liners and more NFL-wide and college football/draft knowledge. A more “mature” co-host would also have the ability to compare the current team to the 70s-90s Pats, when appropriate. Lazar and Barth both started watching the Pats during the Brady-Belichick era.

Last edited:

Tier 7

As we approach the last tier of position groups, we see a common trend: the lack of a true and proven WR1. While a lot of young talent are present in this company, the No. 1 option in the passing game is lacking. These will be the teams that could struggle due to their lack of diverse talent on their offense. They can be one-dimensional at times and can lack consistency.

The lack of star power at WR is not my greatest concern with them... We had the Smurfs during the First Dynasty, and I still believe that if evrerybody stays healthy & performs to their fullest potential then this is a group with whom we should be able to score points...It's the lack of consistent reliability from Parker & Agholor (with Meyers as Next Man Up & a rookie backup in serious need of more Fatburgers) that concerns me the most; and if we don't receive production from outside the hash marks then the middle of the field inside the chains will be so crowded that there won't be enough room for our inside guys to operate...

And, needless to say, all this is predicated on being given adequate protection from our OL, beginning with the Tackles...

Such as...

Will DeVante Parker play a full schedule for the first time since his contract season?
Will Nelson (Malcolm Butler would've made the tackle) Agholor continue to prove worthy of barely half of his salary?
Can Kendrick Bourne really take it to another level as Mac's primary Slot WR?
What's the over/under before Meyers & his 10 yds/catch starts outside because of injury/ineffectiveness issues with Parker/Agholor?
Will Tyquan Thornton be able to shake-off tight NFL coverage without injuring himself?
Is Tre Nixon the next Julian Edelman or the next Bam Childress?
Does Kristian Wilkerson have another gear to make people remember when he was the late-season binkie as the anti-Harry?
Why is Ty Montgomery even in our building?
I wonder where Malcolm Perry will be stationed by this time next year...?
And will Kneal, Harry still demand a trade after he clears waivers?
Why must you always take things so far in one direction?

If Meyers, Bourne, and Parker just play the way they typically have played throughout their careers (combined 15 years in the league)then our WR group is improved from last year.

Then you can start asking the questions:
Can Meyers, Bourne, or Parker step up their game even more?
Can Agholar give us a little more than last year?
How quickly can your favorite draft pick ever Thornton contribute?
Can Nixon or Wilkerson turn into anything?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back