PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots linebacker Elandon Roberts says he was harassed at home by police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each party could have handled it better, but I don’t see this as a big deal.

If we are being honest we would have to admit it is grossly misleading to say he “was harassed at home” because it gives the false impression that he was at home all along when the cops showed up and went at him.

If you’re on public roads and doing 24 over the limit and a cop lights you up, but you don’t actually stop your vehicle until you’re in your driveway, sorry not sorry but that’s not “being harassed at home.”

Why no ticket or even a written warning then?

Throws some doubt as to the veracity of the officer's initial verbal claim of 59 mph.

And if it was actually legit 59 clocked, then he was derelict in his duty to protect the citizens of the neighborhood streets by not giving him a ticket.

24 over is what he supposedly did wrong. There really doesn’t have to be an “aside from.” I was cuffed when I was younger for being that much over the limit. I didn’t play for the NFL, so I didn’t get let go.

the key there is 'supposedly' ..... and nothing was processed, not even a warning.......the cops failed to do their job correctly and they failed to document it. it is just as likely that roberts was not speeding at all.......why believe a cop?

Throws some doubt as to the veracity of the officer's initial verbal claim of 59 mph.

And if it was actually legit 59 clocked, then he was derelict in his duty to protect the citizens of the neighborhood streets by not giving him a ticket.

I would suspect it’s because he plays in the NFL. Cop may have been a Pats fan?

Elandon Roberts: Big? Check. Black? Check. A man? Check. Why are we triggered about this? He was supposedly going well over the speed limit and got let off with a warning.

59 in a 35? You and I would get a ticket.

IF, Roberts was doing 59 in a 35, then that officer has a safety duty to the citizens and taxpayers to do his job.

It is what it is.

the key there is 'supposedly' ..... and nothing was processed, not even a warning.......the cops failed to do their job correctly and they failed to document it. it is just as likely that roberts was not speeding at all.......why believe a cop?
I don’t believe cops. I’ve had enough negative encounters with them that I don’t generally give them the benefit of the doubt. But I don’t see a logical connection between this and racism. So the cop pulled him over because he was a black man then suddenly forgot that he’s a racist and let him off with nothing? Doesn’t add up. I’m not going to disagree that the cop didn’t do his job. You won’t find a post in this thread of me making that argument. He should have been given a ticket at the very least.

Gimme a break. Cops give verbal warnings all the time. If that’s you’re big takeaway here, then you have nothing.

The police officer was certainly justified in stopping him. However, the way ER and his wife were treated was just plain wrong.
How were they treated? A police officer pulls over an expensive car for speeding. Instead of pulling right over he pulls into a driveway. (We don’t know how long that gap was so it may or may not be important)
Then contrary to any shred of common sense he gets out of the car.
When told to get back in the car his first move was to not get back in.
The officer, as he is correctly trained to do for the sake of his own safety (cops do get shot at at traffic stops and he has no clue who this is) told him to get in the car and put his hands on the wheel.
Other than describing a black man as black over his radio report what exactly is the part where he treated someone wrong.

Regardless of guilt innocence or fault if you end up in a situation where you present a potential treat to another person that person isn’t harming you by presuming you could be a threat.

Aside from the alleged speeding not sure what Roberts did wrong here..
Getting out of the car was not the wisest move. Even your average 16 year old first time driver knows when you get pulled over, you stay in the car and let the officer approach you.

Yeah, I’m going to refrain (or at least try to) from commenting much further. I woke up in a foul ****ing mood this morning and I’m itching to light someone up. Not the best mindset to discuss something like this. Let’s just say I agree.

No prob! (Backing away slowly.......)

Tough to tell how bad he was actually treated but I had a similar thing happen to me different results.

I was on my street kind of late at night too and I saw the officer pull a u turn and light me up. My house was right there and it all happened quick. Not thinking I pulled into my house and jumped out my car to explain to him this was my house. For a split a second he yelled at me to get back in my car. I complied the same as Roberts did.

Up to this point basically the same treatment. But after that the officer basically laughed at me and let me off with a warning with in a few minutes. Again it's tough to tell how much crap Roberts got after he complied but at a minimum looks like backup was at least called and it took them longer to trust him.

Obviously much bigger stories of police inequality going on in our country but someone shouldn't have to die for it to be an example of the police BS either.

I don't know how they do it in Texas but are people really trying to say that Roberts should have been arrested for going 15 over?

Ticket, or at least a written warning.

Just like me and you.

IF, the 59 clocking was legit. The officer and department sure seemed to back off of it quickly.

(BTW, there were TWO police cars with lights going off in that driveway video).

Gimme a break. Cops give verbal warnings all the time. If that’s you’re big takeaway here, then you have nothing.

Yeah, for maybe 49 in a 35.

59 in a 35 in a residential neighborhood is reckless driving.

Context.

If he was doing 59 in his neighborhood which necessitate TWO police cars to stop him, then a mere verbal warning is not enforcing the safety laws for which that officer is paid to uphold.

Do Your Job.

Yeah, for maybe 49 in a 35.

59 in a 35 in a residential neighborhood is reckless driving.

Context.

If he was doing 59 in his neighborhood which necessitate TWO police cars to stop him, then a verbal warning is not enforcing the safety laws for which that officer is paid to uphold.
...and I'm assuming ER wasn't drinking or on something. If he was and the cop STILL did nothing the officer should be suspended for poor job performance.

Also it seems this was when it was dark out. Are we talking 7pm or 3am?

I think this is reaching. "Big" is racist now?

I didn't say it was racist, just a bit insensitive. And there's really no need for the cops to call for backup for speeding. ER, as we all know, is harmless and did not appear threatening in the video. Calling someone "the big black male" sounds as if he is threatening.

Put it this way. If the cop pulled over a white guy and said "I have a drunk irish male here" who is being disorderly and non-compliant, what would an average irish american think?. While it may be true the guy was "drunk" and "irish" (by looking at his last name on his driver's license) and "male," irish americans wouldn't be offended? I sure as hell would be.

Last edited:
59 in a 35? You and I would get a ticket.

IF, Roberts was doing 59 in a 35, then that officer has a safety duty to the citizens and taxpayers to do his job.

It is what it is.

I think I’ll be able to go to sleep tonight even with that dastardly villain out there who didn’t get a ticket.

I don’t believe cops. I’ve had enough negative encounters with them that I don’t generally give them the benefit of the doubt. But I don’t see a logical connection between this and racism. So the cop pulled him over because he was a black man then suddenly forgot that he’s a racist and let him off with nothing? Doesn’t add up. I’m not going to disagree that the cop didn’t do his job. You won’t find a post in this thread of me making that argument. He should have been given a ticket at the very least.

local cops know where everyone who's anyone live.......given the scenario that played out in the video, the most likely circumstance in my opinion is that the 59 in a 35 never happened, because if it did, there would be evidence......since technically, nothing happened, then the cops are completely culpable in this situation......it's all their fault and in that case, you might be right that it's not racism....it's complete incompetence that should have the officer fired immediately.......but I suspect he's not that incompetent, so yeah.....there was racism involved

I think I’ll be able to go to sleep tonight even with that dastardly villain out there who didn’t get a ticket.

You don't live in that neighborhood. If someone is doing 59 in my neighborhood going well over more than 20 mph over the limit, I want my police department to give him a ticket.

We PAY then to Do Their Job for a reason. It isn't to get autographs of famous people.

It's a SAFETY issue.

Last edited:
You don't live in that neighborhood. If someone is doing 59 in my neighborhood going well over more than 20 mph over the limit, I want my police department to give him a ticket.

We PAY then to Do Their Job for a reason. It isn't to get autographs of famous people.

Like I said, if the best you have is the fact he got a verbal warning, then you really have nothing. Cops give warnings all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes