PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots hire former Vikings DL coach Brendan Daly as Defensive Assistant Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE_PATS_FAN_54

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Pete Roussel ‏@coachingsearch 6m

Per source, former Vikings defensive line coach Brendan Daly will join the New England #Patriots staff. Coaching Search Ticker | CoachingSearch.com
Collapse

4:04 PM - 28 Jan 2014 · Details

Here is his bio from the Vikings site:
Brendan Daly enters his 8th season in the NFL in 2013 and is coming off a 2012 campaign that saw his linemen display depth and playmaking with 7 big men racking up sacks and the unit grabbing 5 fumble recoveries and an INT for a TD. The 2012 Vikings held opponents to 64 fewer offensive points than in 2011 and jumped to the 16th-ranked total defense in the NFL, a 5-spot jump from 2011.

The 2012 Vikings defense improved over the previous season and keyed the club’s run to a 10-6 mark and playoff berth that was one of the NFL’s biggest surprises. The Vikings held opponents to 14 points or less in 6 wins and helped the club win the 4 final games of the season to earn a postseason appearance.

http://www.vikings.com/team/coaches/brendan-williams/53decdea-7d67-4c7a-8d46-85662bf52be4

Some more tidbits from poking around the internet:
-Graduated from Drake University in 1997
-Coaching resume: High School in Florida, Drake (2 years), University of Maryland (2 years), Oklahoma State (3 years), Illinois State, Villanova.
-NFL: Vikings (06-08 as Assistant DL coach), Rams (09-11 as DL coach), Vikings (12-13 as DL coach)

Interesting. Not sure what his time frame was there, but I recall the Vikings having pretty good line play (even in years where pretty much everything else was going wrong). If he was around for those times, could be a decent hire.

Let's hope he can turn Buchanan into a first round type player because the potential might be there. And let's hope he uses Jake Bequette as a tackling dummy (/joking)

Bill should just hire Schiano as LB Coach/Assistant HC; Daly's position speciality is already taken.

He's helped coach up some really good defensive linemen over the years and hopefully this will be a good hire with some of the young talent that we have. He learned from Karl Dunbar who's partially responsible for the "Williams Wall" and is currently the Jets defensive line coach.

Bill should just hire Schiano as LB Coach/Assistant HC; Daly's position speciality is already taken.
Patrick Graham has coached the LB before, perhaps he's going back.

Jared Allen is a FA, BTW, I wonder how his relationship with Daly is; Allen would be the prototypical vet signing for Belichick, not what he once was but a great guy to add depending on the $$$ he's looking for.

Patrick Graham has coached the LB before, perhaps he's going back.

Jared Allen is a FA, BTW, I wonder how his relationship with Daly is; Allen would be the prototypical vet signing for Belichick, not what he once was but a great guy to add depending on the $$$ he's looking for.

I think Jared Allen goes to the Bucs. They make so much sense. They have the money, pass rusher is the biggest need and Leslie Frazier is the DC.

so...we got Niedermayer from Animal House to coach our Blutos???

2ijrq80.png

Let's hope he can turn Buchanan into a first round type player because the potential might be there. And let's hope he convinces BB to jettison Jake Bequette as a tackling dummy (/joking)

Fixed it for you.

re: Rumor: Pats have hired Brendan Daly - was DL coach for Vikings and Rams

Get him some bodies to work with in the draft. If the team plans on returning to more two gapping, Louis Nix is an excellent prospect. If they plan on one gapping more (which they did a lot of this season), Jernigan is my favorite prospect at DT. I'm just not sure if the Pats are putting more emphasis on DT or DE as of right now.

re: Rumor: Pats have hired Brendan Daly - was DL coach for Vikings and Rams

Get him some bodies to work with in the draft. If the team plans on returning to more two gapping, Louis Nix is an excellent prospect. If they plan on one gapping more (which they did a lot of this season), Jernigan is my favorite prospect at DT. I'm just not sure if the Pats are putting more emphasis on DT or DE as of right now.

I hope this is a sign that the Pats will put a lot of emphasis on the DL in the offseason.

What I'd like to see:

1. Cut Wilfork and sign Linval Joseph. As much as VW has been great for us, I can't see him coming back from his injury next year, and if that's the case he would be a huge albatross if the team kept him.
2. Draft a quality DE to work in a rotation with Jones and Ninkovich. Trent Murphy is my favorite. Aaron Lynch has upside physical tools and upside, but questions. I think a UFA DE (Michael Johnson, Greg Hardy) will be too expensive.
3. Draft some athletic playmakers like Marcus Smith and/or Christian Jones who can play in space in the LB position, but also pass rush. Especially if we 1 gap more, I want attackers from the second level. Depending on who we got, Dont'a Hightower might be used on the line more, as well as at MLB. Either would be a more effective us of him than playing him at WLB like we did this year.
4. Ideally, a playmaking DT like Timmy Jernigan or Ra'Shede Hageman.

Re: Rumor: Pats have hired Brendan Daly - was DL coach for Vikings and Rams

Patriots officially announce the hiring. Only say Defensive Assistant no position named yet

Brendan Daly hired as defensive assistant

Worked with McDaniels in St.Louis. Oh no McDaniels extreme power is now happening on the defensive side!

Has anyone here heard anything about what Chandler Jones' brother is expected to be asking for in FA?

Chandler Jones
Kelly
Wilfork
Arthur Jones (Tyson Jackson as a backup plan)

Rotationals
Siliga
Chris Jones
Ninkovitch
Rookie DT

That group would allow for pass/run packages, would be easily interchangeable as 3-4/4-3 morphs, and would include a blend of youth and veterans.

No, but if it's reasonable we should definitely give it to him.

Might we be interested in DE Jared Allen, whose cap number is big and will be released, apparently? Ninko, Chandler, and Allen would be a good outside pass rush rotation id he is amenable to a reasonable contract

Minnesota Vikings not expected to re-sign Jared Allen

Has anyone here heard anything about what Chandler Jones' brother is expected to be asking for in FA?

Chandler Jones
Kelly
Wilfork
Arthur Jones (Tyson Jackson as a backup plan)

Rotationals
Siliga
Chris Jones
Ninkovitch
Rookie DT

That group would allow for pass/run packages, would be easily interchangeable as 3-4/4-3 morphs, and would include a blend of youth and veterans.

I would love either Arthur Jones or Tyson Jackson to be brought aboard, but I see them more as defensive tackles in a 4-3. They are both very solid players who be good additions to the team. I would like to see them bring in an edge rusher and a defensive tackle this season; the depth on the line needs to be addressed, Ninkovich and Chandler cannot possibly be expected to lead the league in snaps again next season without it wearing them down as it almost certainly did in this season's playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore