PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots GM Search

Gonna go ahead and predict another top 5 pick next year (not that bold I know). They fired Bill to keep everything else the same.

Yes it is being reported that there will be no GM until maybe after the draft. Yes, the Krafts are super cheap which is not to be confused with spending the whole player salary cap. It will get worse. But that is what people wanted.
Why would you wait until after the draft to hire a new GM? That's one of the vital pieces to the rebuild!

I fear the rumor that the Patriots staying put with Groh/Wolf are true.

No new hires, just retreads keeping in house staff.

What was the point of punting BB out the door if you're just going to repeat the same mistakes over and over again?

If I'm not mistaken wasn't Groh the guy who stacked those draft boards that yielded the scrubs that the Patriots ended up picking?

Yes it is being reported that there will be no GM until maybe after the draft. Yes, the Krafts are super cheap which is not to be confused with spending the whole player salary cap. It will get worse. But that is what people wanted.

Not having a GM is a problem because they haven't identified someone who's job it is to pick the players and the buck stops there.

That's unacceptable. We can't be a franchise where the owner is picking the players. That doesn't work.

Not having a GM is a problem because they haven't identified someone who's job it is to pick the players and the buck stops there.

That's unacceptable. We can't be a franchise where the owner is picking the players. That doesn't work.
I agree we need a new GM.

But Kraft has never picked the players in our drafts. Nor should he start to do so now.

Wolf/Groh is as status quo as you can get. How can Kraft think that's a good thing with how crap our drafts have been over the past 10 years?

Did BB overrule them for every pick? Because I'm pretty sure that the Mac Jones pick he sought feedback from the 'draft team' and it was a collective brainfart even if BB did make the final call.

Kraft will talk to Wolfe and Groh.

If one of them is considering leaving, that would force a decision on title contract change.

There is no reason to rush. Kraft has no intention of firing Wolfe or Groh, or likely in feeling the immediate need to bring in someone else. He wants Mayo in charge, not some new hire.
Your scenario is plausible. My feeling is that it’s probably Wolfe because Curran mentioned him and he’s been on point with how all of this has played out so far.

Curran seems to have insider info as many here have speculated.

Why would you wait until after the draft to hire a new GM? That's one of the vital pieces to the rebuild!

I fear the rumor that the Patriots staying put with Groh/Wolf are true.

No new hires, just retreads keeping in house staff.

What was the point of punting BB out the door if you're just going to repeat the same mistakes over and over again?

If I'm not mistaken wasn't Groh the guy who stacked those draft boards that yielded the scrubs that the Patriots ended up picking?

There are more and more reports that there will be no new GM until May, if at all. R Kraft is on the record saying he liked the last few drafts.

With the *news (*paid rumor) that Pats won't hire a GM soon... I think it's likely that it'll become a bit of a committee with:
Groh, Wolf, Mayo, maybe the OC/Head of Football type that's coming, and probably Jonathan as the final approval.
Question is - how will they run the draft. Who will make those decisions?

What are you basing this on?
I think he’s just mentioning what he thinks is a reasonable scenario.

No one can say with 100% certainty what’s going to happen.

As of now, it certainly seems like the GM will be an internal hire based on how everything has gone down so far.

Gonna go ahead and predict another top 5 pick next year (not that bold I know). They fired Bill to keep everything else the same.
Let’s see…we definitely could have some growing pains with Mayo.

Could it be that maybe Bill has been the main problem the last 4-5 years? That might explain why they’re keeping everyone else so far.

Who knows?

Worth noting the job Caserio has done in Houston while bringing along several ex-Pats scouts and front office guys. Does lend credence to the idea that the Patriots scouting department is good, but not always able to show it due to the guy making the picks often going his own way.

People keep saying “Groh and Wolf” but someone needs to have final say. It can’t be 2 guys.

I agree, we just don’t know who will get it. I would prefer Wolf.

Worth noting the job Caserio has done in Houston while bringing along several ex-Pats scouts and front office guys. Does lend credence to the idea that the Patriots scouting department is good, but not always able to show it due to the guy making the picks often going his own way.

We don't know who ultimately made the picks and who was recommended so there's no way of knowing if the guys in place are any good at making picks, they may be great, and BB overruled them or maybe they're to blame, I'll guess we'll find out.

League and team sources have given MassLive additional background on how things have been transpiring in the front office since parting ways with Belichick. Here’s what we know as of Saturday morning:

1. - In the 24 hours leading up to his hiring as the new head coach, Mayo spoke with people in the team’s front office and the expectation, according to a source, was that at least some people are returning. After Mayo was hired on Friday, it’s unknown how the current front office structure and the roles of each individual would change. At the very least, the new Patriots coach will keep some experienced members of the personnel department in place.

2. - A source theorized that Mayo could have some real input when it comes to the team’s personnel department. Although the new coach won’t have as much power as Belichick, it appears he’ll have a significant say on how his team is built through the draft, free agency and trades.

3. - Mayo has spoken to external general manager candidates in opposing front offices, so it hasn’t been entirely in-house up to this point, per source.

4. - Some high-ranking officials in the Patriots front office are working on expiring contracts, so that could be the reason for internal departures as well.

A guest (local comedian) today on 98.5 talked about Jonathan coveting full control of the franchise and stated that the thought of JK eventually running the Patriots and wanting to be involved in player personnel decisions terrifies him. He compared him to Francis from Pee-wee’s Big Adventure, who obsessively coveted Pee-wee’s bike. That made me laugh.

I’m convinced that he is the ownership puppet-master at this point. Robert’s decisions are really his decisions. I fear that this is going to lead to more emotionally-driven, ill-advised decisions.
Might as well try and get that itch scratching away - if not it won't ever leave. If it sucks, it sucks, and that'll be that.

The discussion is that BB told the Krafts that Mac was ass and the Krafts would not let BB trade Mac in the Summer of 2023 and move onto another QB. That is what was reported by Wickersham. If the reporting is correct, BB was correct and the Krafts are idiots.

Not sure what your point is. You don't believe the reporting?
It was genius Bill’s decision to draft Mac. Of course the blame has to be put on Kraft. No evidence that Kraft prevented a trade. Its all unconfirmed hearsay

or maybe when Caserio left, he knew who the best ones were and that's the ones he took

It was genius Bill’s decision to draft Mac. Of course the blame has to be put on Kraft. No evidence that Kraft prevented a trade. Its all unconfirmed hearsay
So, was he forced to keep him as punishment? A recognized mistake can't be corrected? Lord Farquhar will straighten this all out I'm sure.

Then all media reports are unconfirmed hearsay. Can't believe what you want to believe, and claim the report is hearsay when you don't want to believe it.

It is reported that BB wanted to move on from Mac before the 2023 season and Kraft blocked the move. No idea what that has to do with the drafting of Mac - you are trying to correlate to independent decisions - poor logic.

A few posters guessed that Mac was Kraft's guy since it was unlikely BB thought Mac was salvageable after watching him for two seasons. We were told Kraft had nothing to do with player decisions and BB had final say on everyone. Turns out that was hogwash, and now Kraft is exerting greater power by not hiring a GM.

R Kraft wants to mimic J Jones. Might start his own weekly radio interview next season.

We don't know who ultimately made the picks and who was recommended so there's no way of knowing if the guys in place are any good at making picks, they may be great, and BB overruled them or maybe they're to blame, I'll guess we'll find out.

I've only said this 1,000 times but the Patriots were QB deficient. There's a reason the Texans picked 2nd last year. They had no QB. They pick Stroud and they skyrocket.

You need a QB.

Wouldn't be a terrible thing (except to be a fan for next year) - helped the Bengals a ton.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back