Reaction score
Mankins Franchised

On Monday, as per Reiss Twitter

Expected value 10m

Not surprising

Re: Mankins Franchised

Here we go

He can say he's pissed all he wants, but I cant see how the Mankins camp could not have seen this coming. especially from the Pats. Maybe Mankins should have did what Samuels did. Show up in camp and play the entire 2010 season with the promise of no franchise tag the following season. Although, Im sure the Pats learned their lesson on that one after Samuels left.

Yup! Move #1 Finalized. Now what's move # 2?

If I'm Mankins, I say great! Take the 10 mill and say see ya!

He can say he's pissed all he wants, but I cant see how the Mankins camp could not have seen this coming. especially from the Pats. Maybe Mankins should have did what Samuels did. Show up in camp and play the entire 2010 season with the promise of no franchise tag the following season. Although, Im sure the Pats learned their lesson on that one after Samuels left.

Mankins wasn't tagged last season. He was tendered as a RFA. They were not going to promise to never franchise him. Just like they wouldn't promise to never franchise Branch - which was something his agent requested in order to get him in during the final year of his rookie deal. That sets a really bad precedent. Promising not to franchise a player a second time (consecutively) is almost a financial no brainer given the 120% rule.

Last edited:

If I'm Mankins, I say great! Take the 10 mill and say see ya!

He has to play for 17 weeks in order to say see ya and get paid. While the tag is guaranteed, that's only if you show up...

He has to play for 17 weeks in order to say see ya and get paid. While the tag is guaranteed, that's only if you show up...

If he tries to pull the same shenanigans this year, he loses ~$550K/wk.

so I guess Matt Light will be gone?

Schefter: Patriots franchise Mankins - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

The Patriots officially placed the franchise tag on guard Logan Mankins on Monday, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reports. Mankins, whose contract is set to expire, will be paid a projected salary of $10.1 million if he signs the franchise tender, according to Schefter. That salary would be guaranteed.

If the Patriots applied the non-exclusive version of the tag to Mankins, then he will be able to negotiate with other teams when the free agency period opens, pending labor negotiations between the NFL and the NFLPA. Under the terms of the current collective bargaining agreement, any team signing Mankins will be required to compensate the Patriots with two first round draft selections.

Report: Patriots Place Franchise Tag on Logan Mankins - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Last week, we learned that the Patriots would "definitely" place the franchise tag on Logan Mankins, and on Monday, we learned that they "definitely" did.

The team placed the franchise tag on the All-Pro left guard, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. With the franchise tag paying guards the average salaries of the top five offensive linemen, it'll have Mankins earning about $10.1 million next season.

Of course, that's dependent on two things. First, there has to be an NFL season, which at this point still seems up in the air. Second, it depends on the new collective-bargaining agreement maintaining the franchise tag rules. Players, obviously, are opposed to the franchise tag, and if the new CBA does not include the option, then all players tagged during the current window will become free agents.

The $10.1 million would represent a higher short-term salary than the deal Mankins reportedly turned down last summer -- a deal reportedly worth $7 million per season over five years. He said after the 2010 season that he "wouldn't be happy" if the team placed the franchise tag on him.

It Is What It Is Report: Patriots place franchise tag on Logan Mankins

According to a report from Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Patriots have placed the franchise tag on guard Logan Mankins. He will paid a salary of $10.1 million should he sign the offer, according to the Schefter report. Mankins sat out the Patriots’ first seven games of the 2010 season before signing his contract tender as a restricted free agent. He told the Boston Herald before the 2011 Pro Bowl that he would not be pleased if the Patriots put the franchise tag on him this offseason.

“I wouldn’t be happy about (being franchised), if that’s what they chose to do, to be dealt that kind of hand,’’ Mankins told the Herald. “But we’ll see what happens. I would never say the door is totally shut. But the way it’s looking right now, I don’t see them trying to keep me, unless it’s with the franchise tag.”

Why does Mankins getting tagged mean Light is gone?
because I'm not hearing any news about him, and that's what people are anticipating based on what I've read.

so I guess Matt Light will be gone?
I wouldn't assume that since the Pats would have to sign another tackle to take his place - i.e., no cost savings. Light went on record this past week as saying he and the Pats had agreed to wait until after the CBA is worked out before they begin negotiations on a new contract.

If the Pats end up to be in need of saving cap space the players most likely to be targeted would be one or more of Tully Banta-Cain, Nick Kaczur, James Sanders and Stephen Neal.

Good, I hope they tag him 2 years in a row.

I read on PFT that the Franchise tag will mean he will earn a lot more in one year than he has in his entire career so far... I think he will do what Asante did, skip camp and then turn up for week 1, that is just too much money to turn down. That is of course, subject to change with the CBA.

At the end of the day, I understand why players don't like the Franchise tag, but it some cases, it works out in the players favor, like Walter Jones, who was tagged every year, missed camp, and ended up with even more $$$ than he would have got if he had signed long term.

because I'm not hearing any news about him, and that's what people are anticipating based on what I've read.

He is a UFA who isn't as 'special' as Mankins, and they can't do anything until the CBA is sorted, but teams can use the franchise tag before the CBA is in place.

:)

And Mankins, as a guard making 2 year's worth of salary each year, will say "thank you very much". BTW, he would make over $10M this year and $12M next.

Good, I hope they tag him 2 years in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back