PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots expected to part ways with Cam Newton

This as close as you will ever come to seeing BB confirm a media report. Cam will not be back. BB loves Jimmy G and I expect he will be QB next year if available
Imagine your Jimmy G you currently have Sunshine, Kittle, Samuel, Aiyuk, Shannahan.
You wake up one morning and find out you have Blizzards, Asiasi, Harry, Meyers, McDaniels.

My worst fear is that BB sees this article and decides he hasn't proven every single person in the world wrong yet, on every possible situation... and he re-signs Cam.

My worst fear is that BB sees this article and decides he hasn't proven every single person in the world wrong yet, on every possible situation... and he re-signs Cam.
We must think alike.
It’s horror like the Jordan Richards draft pick all over again or the Sanu trade.
I don’t think I need that kind of negativity in my life.
I can’t go thru another season of receivers barely separating or getting none and watch balls bounce off the field while our neighbors in Buff QB rolls the entire right side of the hash mark falls back and rockets a perfect pass to a stable of receivers.
We don’t deserve that.

Gotta love how some people think Jimmy G will fair any better with this division II roster.

Was there an alternative to parting ways with Newton? This obviously is no surprise. They can't move on to the next guy fast enough.

The 7-9 record is about what I expected with Cam. I don't honestly know how many wins the Pats would have had with Stidham. But if you accept Bill at his word, ("Cam gives us the best chance to win"), two three, or four wins would have been more likely. So, what was the net effect of paying Newton 1 to 4 million dollars to quarterback for a year? It moved us out of position to compete for one of the top qb prospects in the draft, without providing (except for the delusional) any realistic hope of making the playoffs. Nice work, Bill.
If you are saying BB would tank for better draft position, I think that is wrong.

He plays to win, plays the players best able to help win.

My preseason prediction for the team was 8-8 and was almost right.

Time now to look forward rather than backwards.

Cam ain't the answer, neither is Stid.

Time to bring in fresh blood at QB, hope to find a diamond in the rough.

But it would not surprise me for BB to roll with some other vet he thinks he can revitalize.

The team has a lot of older players and lots of holes to fill, BB may say I get more value drafting LBs etc.

I expect another mediocre season coming up, we still have lots of churn coming.

I expect the media and patsfans.com membership to be really salty.

Get over yourself, Larry Bird ain't coming through that door.

If people are disappointed by Stid they should point the finger at themselves for taking in all the media hype.

I feel sorry for whomever comes in to play QB, the saltiness is going to be unreal.

this makes me happy, but let's be honest.....with the COVID opt outs and obvious offensive holes, the difference between a brady led 2020 Pats and a Newton led 2020 Pats was that, the difference between 7-9 and 9-7?

He plays to win, plays the players best able to help win.
Demonstrably not true since the Malcolm Butler benching.

He let Cam start so he'd make as much as his contract incentives as possible.

I bet he can throw more than 8 TD passes.
Maybe but you’ll take away about 200 snaps from the run game to do it and he’ll probably get injured behind this offensive line. He’ll probably end with about 15 which would be negligible when you add Cam’s running TD’s

Harry, Meyers, Byrd, Asiasi, Keene, Harris, Michell will all be on the team next year.
Im expecting to upgrade at wr, possibly TE whether it’s pitts or a FA (Henry, Ertz). I don’t think it’s a guarantee that someone like Harry makes it out of training camp.

He let Cam start so he'd make as much as his contract incentives as possible.
He let Cam start because Hoyer and Stidham are worse. This isn’t complicated.

this makes me happy, but let's be honest.....with the COVID opt outs and obvious offensive holes, the difference between a brady led 2020 Pats and a Newton led 2020 Pats was that, the difference between 7-9 and 9-7?
Tom Brady ain't coming through that door either.

One data point over twenty years under murky circumstances doesn't prove the point.

Sorry you're still salty about it, hope the wound heals some day.

let's also be honest:

as much as i think his flawed footwork coupled with a bum shoulder leads to too many throws in the dirt......and as much as i think his unfamiliarity with the system and with calling plays at the line led to him holding the ball too long and taking too many sacks (especially at inopportune moments), i also think he was likable, his teammates played for him, he worked hard and was a good soldier.....he cared about helping this team win, and wasn't just out there playing for a contract for next year

he isn't the QB moving forward.....and at times he drove me crazy this year, but he made also made a non-playoff team (even with another QB) in 2020 fun to watch at times

Its obvious Tom Brady ""was"" the system and he took it to Tampa.
Mike Evans had a career season and Tbay are in the post season, not a coincidence.
Before the season started I thought even 20 td tosses by Newton would be considered a failure.... but 8????? 3 of them in the last game vs the worst team in the League.
Oy!
No arm strength. Cannot read complex defence, horrible pocket passer, crap accuracy. His completion rate is in the 60's but mine would be too if I was throwing the ball only 6 yards down field.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back