PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots draft Antonio Garcia OT @ No. 85

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and Solder had testicular cancer. Our linemen are tough!

Then there was Matt Light's Crohn's disease. Just amazing that he played through that for so long.

I love the Pick hope he's not another Adrian Klemm.:p Also don't sleep on Cam Flemming he also plays very well under Scar. You never have enough decent Offensive Tackles on any given roster. Love the Garcia pick you can't Teach what he's already gifted with Athleticism.:cool:

Agreed on Fleming, I fully expect him to be on the team next year. Fleming is super-smart, very big and powerful, and in college was primarily a run blocker. I think he played quite well under Scar last year, and I suspect he has locked down the sixth tackle backup RT position.

However, as you point out Fleming isn't amazingly athletic like Garcia is. Hopefully Garcia can be groomed as a future LT.

It will be interesting to see whether there's a plan at LT for McDermott and Garcia. Garcia was clearly drafted ahead of McDermott but McDermott fits the Solder profile better. Will there be a battle to replace or backup Solder between the two or do they perceive McDermott as the future LT, either as replacement or backup with a different role envisioned for Garcia? Or is Garcia the heir apparent and McDermott protection? Will be interesting to track.

If Garcia is said to be undersized for LT and McDermott is the prototype because of his size could we see Garcia play another position on the OL?

I get that Garcia has more athleticism and more skill hence why he went far about McDermott in the draft. I'm glad we drafted both but is there a future where they both play on the OL for the Pats?

What other position could McDermott play on the OL?

If Garcia is said to be undersized

Not sure if 6'6 302 can be considered undersized, even though it is a bit on the lighter side especially considering that he played most of the year around 290. But Scar values athleticism highly over size so that probably explains a lot.

Not sure if 6'6 302 can be considered undersized, even though it is a bit on the lighter side especially considering that he played most of the year around 290. But Scar values athleticism highly over size so that probably explains a lot.
I suspect they want him to add 10-20 lbs

It must be weird to play FBS football in Alabama and not do it at Alabama or Auburn.

we probably said the same thing about Fleming when he came in. Its not anything against Garcia or Fleming but new blood is fun because we dont know them.

You're absolutely right, but I think even as a rookie, no one was calling Fleming a freak athlete. IIRC, he was drafted in the Googs era, during which the team favored power over athleticism in OL prospects.

I just came across this Clemson tape again while watching some Clelin Ferrell . and the Garcia expectations reached a new level.

He completely annihilated one of the top pass rushers in college football that destroyed so many OLs incl. Ohio St.

With this new context . and two yrs with Dante . I can now clearly see him as Pats 2018 LT (possibly even sooner..)
_____

Last edited:
I just came across this Clemson tape again while watching some Clelin Ferrell . and the Garcia expectations reached a new level.

He completely annihilated one of the top pass rushers in college football that destroyed so many OLs incl. Ohio St.

With this new context . and two yrs with Dante . I can now clearly see him as Pats 2018 LT (possibly even sooner..)
_____

Thanks for finding that tape.

The one thing you have to notice when you watch this tape is just how quick his feet are. I don't know who he was playing against or if they are any good, but he NEVER got even close to getting by him on a pass. He gets square on his man every rush

He's not going to make you forget Solder or Volmer as a power run blocker, but he does seem to have decent upper body strength pushing off rushers after squaring them up.

I agree with you that my expectations of him just rose now that I've seen him against quality competition like Clemson.

Thanks for finding that tape.

The one thing you have to notice when you watch this tape is just how quick his feet are. I don't know who he was playing against or if they are any good, but he NEVER got even close to getting by him on a pass. He gets square on his man every rush

He's not going to make you forget Solder or Volmer as a power run blocker, but he does seem to have decent upper body strength pushing off rushers after squaring them up.

I agree with you that my expectations of him just rose now that I've seen him against quality competition like Clemson.

Like I mentioned . mostly he went against Clelin Ferrell (#99) who is already projected by some as 2018 1st round pick and was destroying tackles on top teams like Ohio St. The rest of Clemson's DL is top quality as well with Wilkins projected as top 10 pick in 2018 and Dexter Lawrence in discussion for #1 overall in 2019.

Even more impressive than his legs are his hands.. Exciting tackle by all means.

Coaches were pretty vocal with him in minicamp when he stepped in for Solder. I guess they have high expectations as well.

You're absolutely right, but I think even as a rookie, no one was calling Fleming a freak athlete. IIRC, he was drafted in the Googs era, during which the team favored power over athleticism in OL prospects.

And yet Scar was still in charge of scouting the OL, and I believe worked with all of the draftees taken those two years.

Sure but I'm guessing Googs had a say in who to draft to fit his system.
My guess Scar scouted a bunch of players but at the end of the day Googs had final say.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
And yet Scar was still in charge of scouting the OL, and I believe worked with all of the draftees taken those two years.

Yes, I remember that. Still, I think guys like Fleming and Halapio were indicative of a temporary change in philosophy. Perhaps Scar kept Gugs' vision in mind while scouting.

Whoever recommended Stork instead of Russell Bodine, Fleming instead of John Urschel, Halapio instead of Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, and Tre Jackson instead of La'ell Collins ought to be ashamed of himself.

And reportedly helped to review film one day a week at Gillette, at least during the second year, anyway.

Whoever recommended Stork instead of Russell Bodine, Fleming instead of John Urschel, Halapio instead of Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, and Tre Jackson instead of La'ell Collins ought to be ashamed of himself.

I still have my Halapio jersey (sigh).

Like I mentioned . mostly he went against Clelin Ferrell (#99) who is already projected by some as 2018 1st round pick and was destroying tackles on top teams like Ohio St. The rest of Clemson's DL is top quality as well with Wilkins projected as top 10 pick in 2018 and Dexter Lawrence in discussion for #1 overall in 2019.

Even more impressive than his legs are his hands.. Exciting tackle by all means.

Coaches were pretty vocal with him in minicamp when he stepped in for Solder. I guess they have high expectations as well.

Ferrell is def a quality guy. Like you said that whole line is legit.
Wilkins is such a great prospect and looks to have just as great character traits.

Can't wait for the Dex and Ed wars to come.

Gracias (my #1T) biggest weaknesses that are actually correctable are some of the Pats biggest strengths imo.

Pats are notorious for their strength training programs and Garcia needs to get stronger overall but mainly in his lower half/core. He played under 300 a lot. Shouldn't hard to add some weight and strength. It will help big time when rushers redirect inside. Which happens a ton anyway but he sees it so much bc his feet are so good and hes so quick to the edge.

Hes had some penalties that need to be cleaned up. Pad level has to get better but the other thing I really want to see improve is his punch. Specifically the timing not necessarily the consistency or placement. Timing is key and it will help a ton.

1) Add weight to with redirect, speed to power etc

2a) Time punch better

Both will lead to less holding, grabbing etc which will lead to less penalties. In turn his position, ability to get himself set will get better.

Pad level need works and can get better also but again both of the above will help immensely and hes a rookie thats 6'6.

Has such a great prospect with so many traits to build off. So athletic and tough. Always talking before the snap to his guys and after the snap to the other team. So happy with this pick.

Pats know how to pick O-linemen. Last bust I could think of was Cannon. Oh well, he turned out of be a late bloomer.

How can a 5th round pick who was graded as 1st round talent but dropped due to Cancer be considered a bust?

Tre' Jackson was a 4th round pick in 2015 who couldn't stay healthy.. I'd think of him before Cannon..

Heck, Jon Halapio didn't even make the team as a 6th round pick back in 2014. And I'd think of him before Cannon.. And he's a bust only because he didn't make the team..

More Captain Stone Revisionist History.

Stork won the Rimington Award as the Best College Center in 2014. It was injuries that derailed him.

Urschel is another C/G. Fleming is a G/T who has actually played LT for the Pats and held up decently for 2 games.

The Pats steered away from La'el Collins due to the legal issues he was facing. In fact, the entire NFL steered away from Collins as he went undrafted. Considering that they had just had the Hernandez fiasco blow up, it's pretty obvious why they steered away from him.

But, Stone also needs to be reminded that Guglielmo was the Line Coach at the time and the guys drafted seemed to go with his style more than Scar's..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back