PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots draft Antonio Garcia OT @ No. 85

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdangle

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
2nd NE Pick

The Patriots then followed up on Rivers by selecting Troy tackle Antonio Garcia at No. 85, after trading Nos. 96 and 124 to Detroit to move up.

Some interesting tidbits:

Antonio Garcia Troy OT • r/NFL_Draft

Moves his feet very quickly. Great Great hand usage. Has a nice snap down move that he uses on pass blocking and could use more on run blocking. Does a great job of displacing defenders in run blocking. Has good strength. Plays aggressive. Finishes all blocks.

Scouting Report: Antonio Garcia, OT, Troy 2017 NFL Draft

Elite pass protector that has been one of the better left tackles in college football. Perfect combination of size, length, and technique that should allow him to move into a starting role very early in his NFL career. Simply doesn’t allow defenders to get by him. Very nasty player that coaches will love to coach.

Just watched his highlights versus Clemson (a top college squad), and he really smooshed his man all game. A little coaching up by Scar, and I really like this pick.

Obviously so do the Pats, they paid a hefty price to jump up to grab him.

Last edited:
Pats know how to pick O-linemen. Last bust I could think of was Cannon. Oh well, he turned out of be a late bloomer.

Well, you could say Stork and Jackson, but I think they both had injury problems. That's part of it, though -- the Pats will gamble on players with medical issues in the hope that some of them will pull through.

Just watched the Clemson game linked above, as I had never heard of him. I see elite pass protection with some really nice quick feet and does a great job of locking onto his defender so he can't get by him. The offense he is in makes it hard to judge as it looked liked they threw screens and 4 yard slants more then the 2001 patriots. What I didn't see was any push or power in the run game. The only time his man moved forward was on a double team. Interesting prospect who is gonna get a year of polishing in the Dante school for offensive lineman. I think he could at least man the fort if solder goes down for a couple games so that's 2 out of the top 3 needs left on the roster who at least got a body. Loving this draft so far just need a coverage LB and I will need a cigarette.

Well, you could say Stork and Jackson, but I think they both had injury problems. That's part of it, though -- the Pats will gamble on players with medical issues in the hope that some of them will pull through.

yeah, you cannot predict injuries. also they were fourth round selections so you have to discount some for that. The worst was Jon Halapio a sixth rounder who never made out of camp.

Just watched the Clemson game linked above, as I had never heard of him. I see elite pass protection with some really nice quick feet and does a great job of locking onto his defender so he can't get by him. The offense he is in makes it hard to judge as it looked liked they threw screens and 4 yard slants more then the 2001 patriots. What I didn't see was any push or power in the run game. The only time his man moved forward was on a double team. Interesting prospect who is gonna get a year of polishing in the Dante school for offensive lineman. I think he could at least man the fort if solder goes down for a couple games so that's 2 out of the top 3 needs left on the roster who at least got a body. Loving this draft so far just need a coverage LB and I will need a cigarette.

Surprised to learn that he was a safety in high school. College coaches had him rushing the passer exclusively, and I dont blame them as I would take his 41 sacks as a certainty. Maybe he can be an OLB too.

This is not good news for Solder's future as a Pat. Isn't his contract up at the end of the year? This kid seems a bit small for left tackle

Finishes all blocks.

THIS was the part that stood out for me. Shows that the guy takes his role seriously,and has a great work ethic that will stand him in good stead with New England.

Coach Belichick preaches that one sermon constantly of "Do Your Job!", but he also has a sub mantra of "Play To The Whistle".

I think this new kid will fit in jut fine.

Pats know how to pick O-linemen. Last bust I could think of was Cannon. Oh well, he turned out of be a late bloomer.

Wasn't Canon dealing with cancer or some other such blood disease his first year here? I seem to remember him being drafted and then having basically a year off when he got diagnosed,then beating it and coming back and playing. Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else. If so I am sorry, but I seem to remember him as the one with those issues.

2nd NE Pick
Obviously so do the Pats, they paid a hefty price to jump up to grab him.

Is it hefty or is it "hefty"... ;);)

This is not good news for Solder's future as a Pat. Isn't his contract up at the end of the year? This kid seems a bit small for left tackle

Solder could be extended yet this year. He turns 30 next April, so he could also walk for one last big payday.

There's a small possibility that he could hang up his cleats due to health concerns.

Garcia is insurance. He appears to have the potential to develop into a 2018 starter under Scar. Worst case for Garcia is probably as a significant upgrade to Waddle as a backup OT (if Solder re-signs).

Waddle is also in the last year of his contract, as is Fleming.

Garcia measures 6062/302 with the frame to put on some "good" weight via an NFL caliber strength and conditioning program that seems likely to be a bit better than what Garcia had a Troy. Anyway, Garcia is about the same size as Ramczyk and the three OTs taken in the 1st round in 2016 (a bit taller, actually), and probably at least matches NFL average size for an LT.

OTOH, Solder (6082) and Vollmer (6075) are relative monsters.

Competition for Fleming is a good thing. This guy looks promising.

More likely competition for Waddle.

In any case, Solder, Fleming and Waddle are ALL playing the final year of their current contracts in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes