PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots draft Antonio Garcia OT @ No. 85

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit it, I never put much thought into Garcia after the Cooks trade, because I thought he'd go in the top 40 - 50 picks. Incredible athlete. He might end up being our best left tackle we've ever had, once Scar coaches him up. Supremely happy with this pick!

Another great pick at an area of need. Though he is not a swing tackle. Pure lt

We will see what happens with this kid, as i said in the other thrread, coaches only get two hours with these guys in college. not enough time to really coach a lot of run ans pass blocking, got to kind of choose one.

Wasn't Canon dealing with cancer or some other such blood disease his first year here? I seem to remember him being drafted and then having basically a year off when he got diagnosed,then beating it and coming back and playing. Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else. If so I am sorry, but I seem to remember him as the one with those issues.

Also Cannon looked pretty decent in 2013 when Vollmer went down. So he was not really a late bloomer but it looks more like Googe was the wrong coach for him (and maybe others as well).

In 2016, Cameron Fleming played in 25% of offensive snaps. Ladrian Waddle played in 0.1%. OT was this team's biggest need heading into the draft.

Garcia was one of my favorite prospects. He will need some coaching up after playing in an air raid offense at a small school. He is also being coached up by the best.

Very real possibility that Garcia is starting LT in 2018.

I love the Pick hope he's not another Adrian Klemm.:p Also don't sleep on Cam Flemming he also plays very well under Scar. You never have enough decent Offensive Tackles on any given roster. Love the Garcia pick you can't Teach what he's already gifted with Athleticism.:cool:

Scar : to say that he is an integral part of the team's success in an understatement. Hope he "pulls a Cannon" here and we can be confident in this player in a few years.

Wasn't Canon dealing with cancer or some other such blood disease his first year here? I seem to remember him being drafted and then having basically a year off when he got diagnosed,then beating it and coming back and playing. Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else. If so I am sorry, but I seem to remember him as the one with those issues.

He had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and Solder had testicular cancer. Our linemen are tough!

And please, don't call him a bust if he doesn't play during his rookie season (if all goes well he won't play a down)
Actually if all goes well he will take flemings place and be the short yardage 6th ol.

The only thing wrong with this statement imo is that he says that brady "is one of the best in the business" instead of saying he IS the best in the business. But he'll learn. Sounds like a great pick.

I think he's exactly the kinda guy they should have drafted. Plays hard, finishes his blocks, takes his job seriously. His only weaknesses are things that can likely be fixed between coaching from Scar and some time in the weight room. I like the pick.

The only thing wrong with this statement imo is that he says that brady "is one of the best in the business" instead of saying he IS the best in the business. But he'll learn. Sounds like a great pick.

He's just a boy. He doesn't know anything yet

The Pats "paid" 164 points on a the draft-pick value chart for a pick worth 165 points.

Yeah not quite so hefty, :) more like with BB in this allegedly "deep" draft, would you rather have this ONE 3rd rounder? Or THREE players; a 3rd rounder at just 11 picks later, AND later another 4th rounder, which earlier in the day further cost you a 6th (and 15 lost draft chart value points) rounder to acquire, to keep digging for more gems.

Last edited:

No problem. Scar & TFB will send A Message to Garcia.

It will be interesting to see whether there's a plan at LT for McDermott and Garcia. Garcia was clearly drafted ahead of McDermott but McDermott fits the Solder profile better. Will there be a battle to replace or backup Solder between the two or do they perceive McDermott as the future LT, either as replacement or backup with a different role envisioned for Garcia? Or is Garcia the heir apparent and McDermott protection? Will be interesting to track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back