PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots cut Brian Hoyer (EDIT: OLD THREAD - not cut recently, thread just got necro'd because people wanted to argue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're gonna sign someone. I mean they're GOING to sign SOMEONE. No matter how good Mac looks you need a viable short term backup. We don't want Meyers out there under center.
If they're cutting BOTH Cam AND Hoyer they've got to have some kind of idea who fills that role until Stidham is back. They've got to.

Looking at the list of available QBs one guy does stand out: Nick Mullens, Garoppolo's old backup in SF. He's got a big arm, and considering you're scraping the bottom of the barrel a big arm with turnover problems isn't a bad place to start looking.

And yeah, Danny etling's also on that list.

My guess is BillB told Hoyer to stay in touch to eventually come back.

Nobody in their right mind would have no backup for Mac Jones or even just a QB starter for any team.

Well there is another possibility, and that's that something came up that forced Bill's hands. Like a violation of the team's health code or code of conduct.

Hoyer will be back on the team September 13. They don't want to guarantee his salary especially if they decide to go with Stidham as back up after he returns from injury.

Hoyer will be back on the team September 13. They don't want to guarantee his salary especially if they decide to go with Stidham as back up after he returns from injury.
So who’s going to play QB against Miami if Mac is injured?

This seems like a move so they can have someone on the 53 who is moving to in-season IR. Then once they're secured there, Hoyer comes back. He's a veteran who doesn't have to clear waivers, so it's easy to tell him he's coming back for the same money once the shuffling is complete. Could be someone like Harry going on IR for the first three weeks.

I'm holding to that, because it is the ONLY way this makes sense.
Crap. I was kinda stoked to be rid of Newton but if he could be towers-of-Hanoi-ing Hoyer, he could be doing that and eventually settling on Cam at backup. Or all 3, once some ultra top secret moves are somehow sorted out (like I needed 5 more days to decide on my 2nd string safety or something.)

Danny Etling got released by the Vikings./s

This is more surprising than the cam news frankly

So who’s going to play QB against Miami if Mac is injured?

They have gone through games in the past with only one QB on the roster. My guess is Jakobi Meyers will be the emergency QB.

If they have a QB on the roster for game one, their salary for the year is guaranteed. They will risk going through one game with just Mac Jones on the roster. It isn't a huge risk. They did this several years with Brady and I think Hoyer.

I could be wrong. Have been wrong a lot recently about Patriots QBs.

Last edited:
N’Keal Harry is going on IR tomorrow, but he needs to be on the initial 53 to be eligible to return this season. They’ll resign Hoyer once they do that.
You make a lot of sense Odinson

N’Keal Harry is going on IR tomorrow, but he needs to be on the initial 53 to be eligible to return this season. They’ll resign Hoyer once they do that.

The more I think about it. Your explanation makes the most sense and the most likely thing to happen.

Maybe Hoyer will come hold down the mentor role until Stid is back - then he'll be the career backup.
It seems Stid really took to the mentoring of Mac while he's been hurt. Stid is younger and has a similar skill set to Mac.
I could see it. Because no one can imagine Hoyer actually playing a number of games as a backup.

Sign Bledsoe to the practice squad. (he is a legacy, Otter. His brother was a ’59, Fred Dorfman).
1630459975100.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing