PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are "incredibly high" on QB Tom Savage

crownontherocks

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports the Patriots are "incredibly high" on Pittsburgh QB Tom Savage.

The talk of the quarterback position the past few weeks has centered around Tom Savage of Pittsburgh. So what’s the inside story? Ever since the combine I’ve known the New England Patriots have been incredibly high on Savage and will consider using a pick to acquire the signal caller during the draft. Some in the organization are now referring to Savage as “Tom #2”, with Tom #1 of course being Tom Brady. I’m told Savage impressed the franchise during combine interviews, especially when former Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano was on hand. Evidently Savage took responsibility for the 2011 situation when he left the Rutgers football program, which was then headed by Schiano. Both the Patriots and Schiano were impressed by Savage’s maturity in discussing his departure. Teams who’ve studied tape on Savage from last season broke it into halves and feel the second half of the campaign, when the signal caller lessened his mistakes and improved his accuracy, is the next level prospect they can build upon.

He is absolute muck.

No disrespect intended to Tom Savage, but if it were true that the Patriots had strong feelings about drafting him, then it's pretty hard to imagine they'd be telling anyone, much less Tony Pauline (whoever he is).

I call BS ... we're 50-50 that it actually was coach's birth day the other week, let alone Pats feelings on a QB ... before the draft. :rolleyes:

More disinformation from New England's draft zampolits. :cool:

I refuse to believe anything said about the Patriot's potential draft picks until New England actually picks someone. Belichick runs that ship tighter than the NSA. If someone is quoting "sources" it's most likely Belichick giving that specific information to someone he suspects is letting secrets get out so as to confirm his suspicions when they end up in print. That, or he's having fun with all the mediots & reportards grasping for material.

"Some in the organization are now referring to Savage as “Tom #2” "

Is this a joke?

Yeah, that jumped out to me too. And by "jumped out" I mean totally eliminated any credibility Pauline's report might have had.

I don't expect them to draft him now that it's been reported. And I hope they won't. I really don't get what others are seeing in Savage. His pocket awareness is bad, throws into double coverage, and stares down his receivers which allow opposing safeties and CB's to close in on his throws. He has a cannon for an arm and throws a tight spiral, but he makes way too many bad decisions for my liking. I remember in week one of the college season Pitt was playing FSU and the announcers were praising Savage as if he were the second coming of Joe Montana in college football. It only took FSU one quarter to figure him out and they pretty much ***** slapped Pitt's offense from there. I didn't see any noticeable improvement in Savage after that.

Savage is garbage. He is the Tavon Wilson of QB's.

Does anyone actually give credence to pre-draft reports, good or bad?

no matter who they draft at QB, the player will be better then geno "the turnover" smith

"Some in the organization are now referring to Savage as “Tom #2” "

Is this a joke?

I could see them saying that with the context that he has some of the same traits and if you draft him in the 6th round like they did with Brady he could end up being a great value pick several years down the line. If they take him in the second round I will never watch the draft again.

fwiw. I liked how quotes were shaded in the old format.

Does anyone actually give credence to pre-draft reports, good or bad?
Absolutely not. I just wanted to add my thoughts on Savage. Those thoughts are that I don't think much of him.

Was someone "incredibly high" when this was "reported" to Mr. Pauline?

I feel like if you just look at the good games from Josh Freeman, you have a QB who you can build upon to take to the next level.

Although I ain't buying any pre-draft talk, I would rather the Pats take a QB in the later rounds than one of the four or five QBs bound to go in the first or high second rounds. I am not in love with any of them and I am doubtful that any of them are going to be a solid franchise QB in this league. I think there is as much of a chance that someone from the later rounds surprises and emerges than any of the guys at the top. IMHO.

I don't expect them to draft him now that it's been reported. And I hope they won't. I really don't get what others are seeing in Savage. His pocket awareness is bad, throws into double coverage, and stares down his receivers which allow opposing safeties and CB's to close in on his throws. He has a cannon for an arm and throws a tight spiral, but he makes way too many bad decisions for my liking. I remember in week one of the college season Pitt was playing FSU and the announcers were praising Savage as if he were the second coming of Joe Montana in college football. It only took FSU one quarter to figure him out and they pretty much ***** slapped Pitt's offense from there. I didn't see any noticeable improvement in Savage after that.

I think attempting to evaluate players on crap teams can be difficult for the average fan, particularly when it's at the position of QB.

I agree with you about not seeing anything great in Savage, but we're not privy to all of the information either, so if he's taken in the 3rd round or something I can certainly accept and live with it as a fan. Obviously, he's gotten the attention of the entire league in the past month or so, meaning that someone likes what they see---right or wrong.

I think attempting to evaluate players on crap teams can be difficult for the average fan, particularly when it's at the position of QB.

I agree with you about not seeing anything great in Savage, but we're not privy to all of the information either, so if he's taken in the 3rd round or something I can certainly accept and live with it as a fan. Obviously, he's gotten the attention of the entire league in the past month or so, meaning that someone likes what they see---right or wrong.
Even though I'm not high on him either, Aaron Murray would be better value. He at least looks off DB's. Murray's problem is that he has a gunslinger habit that he sometimes settles into.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back