PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots acquire OT Vederian Lowe from Vikings

Couldn’t he be cut instead of IRed? Or does the salary guarantee preclude that? Seems to me they should be able to cut him to free the roster slot even if they still have to pay him. So probably an injury settlement will be required somehow. Now I’m curious how all that factors into salary cap calculations…
As an injured Vested Veteran, I believe he has to be IRed first and then given an injury settlement because the injury occurred during football activities. But I could be wrong.
As for the Salary Cap, His signing bonus and salary are guaranteed money. It's there regardless.

If it's not a major injury, the Pats can IR him after Cutdowns and bring him back when he's ready. With the way injuries are happening to the O-Line, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Yeah, when he's playing LT. They didn't "blow by him" when he was at RT last year in the Pre-season. There are some players who just can't adjust from one side to the other. Matt Light was one. Isaiah Wynn is another.

The hypocrisy is amazing with some people on this board.

BB just traded for Wheatley and Lowe. Looks like BB does not believe in Steuber or McDermott either. If Reiff is hurt, BB traded for 2 guys because he thought we only had two dependable guys, Brown and Sow. Sow is a project.

BB just traded for Wheatley and Lowe. Looks like BB does not believe in Steuber or McDermott either. If Reiff is hurt, BB traded for 2 guys because he thought we only had two dependable guys, Brown and Sow. Sow is a project.
Reiff and McDermott are both hurt. Severity unknown but McDermott missed the last couple of weeks and Reiff’s knee was injured in the Titans game. Seems both of them aren’t expected to be good to go for start of the season.

I like that Bill was aggressive and went out and traded for the two OT prospects of his choice instead of waiting to go dumpster diving after cutdowns. Suggests to me that they are good prospects, or at least better than the dumpsters would yield.

seems certain people here just can't stand hearing one of their binkies is destined for the cut pile....

Reiff and McDermott are both hurt. Severity unknown but McDermott missed the last couple of weeks and Reiff’s knee was injured in the Titans game. Seems both of them aren’t expected to be good to go for start of the season.

I like that Bill was aggressive and went out and traded for the two OT prospects of his choice instead of waiting to go dumpster diving after cutdowns. Suggests to me that they are good prospects, or at least better than the dumpsters would yield.

If it took Strong to get Wheatly, he must be emerging. Bedard loved Wheatley's tape. Lowe played a lot last year I think. Not sure why the Vikings let him go - a 6th rounder seems very little.

If it took Strong to get Wheatly, he must be emerging. Bedard loved Wheatley's tape. Lowe played a lot last year I think. Not sure why the Vikings let him go - a 6th rounder seems very little.
season after season we, as fans, tend to overate player values...face it , most business is done swapping 6th and 7th round picks

Yeah, when he's playing LT. They didn't "blow by him" when he was at RT last year in the Pre-season. There are some players who just can't adjust from one side to the other. Matt Light was one. Isaiah Wynn is another.

Steuber was on PUP all the way through the 2022 camp and into the season. Nobody could "blow by him" at any position because he wasn't on the field.

Steuber was on PUP all the way through the 2022 camp and into the season. Nobody could "blow by him" at any position because he wasn't on the field.

He saw plenty of time in practices and BB never felt the need to cut him.. Again, he only practiced at RT. He played RT and RG at Michigan. He actually lined up next to Onwenu for 3 games.

He saw plenty of time in practices and BB never felt the need to cut him.. Again, he only practiced at RT. He played RT and RG at Michigan. He actually lined up next to Onwenu for 3 games.
edit: He didn't come off PUP and start practicing until Christmas week. How does that add up to "plenty of time?" Since he clearly wasn't going to play (the 21 day window to get him in game shape and activate him ran past the last game) how many meaningful reps could he have gotten?

Steuber didn’t play at all in 2022. He spent the entire season, including preseason, on the NFI list after hurting himself working out post draft. Our memory fails us at times.

Agree with you 100% about difficulty of swapping sides on the OLine. Steuber would have faired much better playing RT this preseason and doesn’t deserve the ridicule he’s getting here.

Could Trent Brown be in danger of being released? They can’t be happy with how Brown half-assed it this off-season. His release would save $8 million of salary and cap space.

Could Trent Brown be in danger of being released? They can’t be happy with how Brown half-assed it this off-season. His release would save $8 million of salary and cap space.
If Calvin Anderson was healthy and showed anything representative at LT I would think this is possible. They weren't that lucky...............

BTW, I recognize that Steuber was a natural RT with all his experience on that side. I suspect that's why they tried him at LT. If he was going to make the team they didn't view him as a likely starter, but as a potential swing backup tackle. That requires having the flexibility to play both sides as you don't know where the need will arise with limited gameday rosters. Unfortunately for Steuber it appears he's not suited to LT so it made him appear worse than if he'd been at his natural position. I don't think they did it just to humiliate the kid.

Lowe played in 4 games for a total of 33 offensive snaps and 16 STs snaps. He was penalized twice.
According to PFF, he breakdown was 18 Run Blocking snaps and 15 Pass blocking snaps. Gave up 1 pressure.

season after season we, as fans, tend to overate player values...face it , most business is done swapping 6th and 7th round picks

I was thinking more statistically. My apologies for not being more clear. Chances that a 6th rounder is a starter is 9% and chances a 5th rounder is a stater is 14%.

I know nothing about Lowe's talent or skill level. He was a 6th rounder who started some games out of a backup role last year. He has one year of training and conditioning under his belt and three more years at a low 6th round salary level. I would have thought that having started in the NFL and having one year of seasoning would make him more of a 14% chancer (5th round) than a 9% chancer (6th round), and according, worth a 5th round draft pick in 2024. But I was wrong.

I was thinking more statistically. My apologies for not being more clear. Chances that a 6th rounder is a starter is 9% and chances a 5th rounder is a stater is 14%.

I know nothing about Lowe's talent or skill level. He was a 6th rounder who started some games out of a backup role last year. He has one year of training and conditioning under his belt and three more years at a low 6th round salary level. I would have thought that having started in the NFL and having one year of seasoning would make him more of a 14% chancer (5th round) than a 9% chancer (6th round), and according, worth a 5th round draft pick in 2024. But I was wrong.
Your opinion is not wrong. They could have insisted on a 5th round pick from the Pats, in which case the deal doesn't get done.This time of the year it's all quid pro quo between the teams. How many times have you read "I'd give up a 3rd round pick for (insert player)" only to find that the player in question fetches a 6 or even a 7th...leaving us fans scratching our heads? It's NOT our business...we're just here to keep the golden goose fed. O lineman are plentiful for the asking this time of year. Another position we tend to over rate is RB. To us, many experienced, productive backs made available seem to be steals for a 2nd rounder or 3rd. You see them either re-sign with their team on a one year contract or moved for low round draft choices.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back