PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2020 Draft Class Grades

I know this won't sit well with PATS fans, as I have been one for over 30 years. I would give this draft an F.

Prior to the draft they Franchise OL Thuney for almost 14 million. No money left for free agents. There wasn't a free agent OL, they could have signed for 7-10 million?
After what they selected after trading down, I wish they had stayed at 23. At 23 they could have gotten an immediate impact starter: Kenneth Murray, LB, Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Xavier McKinney, S.
Then they could have traded back into the second round and gotten another starter.
I don't see where they improved. The safety comes from Division II. Who knows? He probably won't play except on special teams.
The linebacker from LB Josh Uche might be good but could have gotten starter in round 1.
As for the other players, two of them will be starters by default, K & TE.
What about WR? Last year slow as molasses. Couldn't get separation.
What about backup QB? Hoyer? Really?

I predict they will finish third or last in division. Tough schedule. Lost key starters. Little improvement on offense and defense.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Yeah this draft absolutely feckin Sucked...again...no doubt about it...But I was on board with the trade-back, because I felt it was important not to allow so much talent slip away without two picks within the first 86 instead of just one...

As it turned out - as it often does during that weekend - there was Plenty of good players available at both 37 & 71, although the WRs didn't fall to us the way I had hoped...

I know this won't sit well with PATS fans, as I have been one for over 30 years. I would give this draft an F.

Prior to the draft they Franchise OL Thuney for almost 14 million. No money left for free agents. There wasn't a free agent OL, they could have signed for 7-10 million?
After what they selected after trading down, I wish they had stayed at 23. At 23 they could have gotten an immediate impact starter: Kenneth Murray, LB, Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Xavier McKinney, S.
Then they could have traded back into the second round and gotten another starter.
I don't see where they improved. The safety comes from Division II. Who knows? He probably won't play except on special teams.
The linebacker from LB Josh Uche might be good but could have gotten starter in round 1.
As for the other players, two of them will be starters by default, K & TE.
What about WR? Last year slow as molasses. Couldn't get separation.
What about backup QB? Hoyer? Really?

I predict they will finish third or last in division. Tough schedule. Lost key starters. Little improvement on offense and defense.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Maybe the Patriots should terminate Belichick and select you for their coach, considering your expertise.

Maybe the Patriots should terminate Belichick and select you for their coach, considering your expertise.
It wasn't Bill the HC to whom he was referring, Mrs Belichick...

Notable omission in this year’s draft: a run-stuffing, two-gapping NT.

Leki Fotu, whom the Cardinals got early in the fourth. Easily within reach for us if Bill hadn’t done his repeated questionable move ups.

I felt that way last year with TE and Dawson Knox. He moved up to get the intriguing though slow Joejuan Williams.

So at _another_ obvious position of need Bill hasn’t delivered. Last year, TE; this year a Run Stuffer.

Do I don’t know how anyone can give Bill higher than a C+. More like a C- by my book.

He had a chance to do so much more in this draft. Let it come to you, Bill.

Leki Fotu, whom the Cardinals got early in the fourth. Easily within reach for us if Bill hadn’t done his repeated questionable move ups.

I felt that way last year with TE and Dawson Knox. He moved up to get the intriguing though slow Joejuan Williams.

So at _another_ obvious position of need Bill hasn’t delivered. Last year, TE; this year a Run Stuffer.
Super curious how the DT group will look this year...I'd like Guy, Butler, Cowart, Murray...Allen is solid, but rather go cheaper and younger

Feel like BB values DT as he values RBs...fairly replaceable, I say this because of when he relied on Vellano and Jones and actually found some success

Do I don’t know how anyone can give Bill higher than a C+. More like a C- by my book.

Feel like I say this to myself annually, I'll trust Belichick more than myself, although the last couple years we can make an argument

I don’t know how anyone can give Bill higher than a C+. More like a C- by my book.

Yep...Each and Every One of those trade-ups were a Complete Feckin Waste of precious resources, especially for players likely to still be available at the original pre-trade-up position ... And what's worse, even if All of Uche, Assyassy & Keene were taken before 71, 98 & 100: so feckin what? There were BETTER prospects than ALL of them still available anyway - Zach Baun at 71, Adam Trautman at 98 and Harrison Bryant at 100, though I would've used #100 on Leki Fotu instead of on a second consectutive TE...Even the pick at #87, which wasn't moved, was used on a positionless plodder (who refused to perform at the combine, likely because he knew that his lack of top-100-caliber athleticism would've been exposed for all the world to see) who was taken TWO FULL ROUNDS before he should've been even considered...

And Little Billy Notgoat still had a chance to somewhat atone for by-passing Fotu when he could've used his 7th-rounder on Benito Jones...but noooooo; he chooses a feckin weak-ass, tryout-caliber midget Center instead...

Too bad that Little Nicky Caesar doesn't have the minerals to tell Mr Notgoat that he's fecking up yet another draft weekend...Unless he actually agrees with this sh!tshow... Don't know which is worse...

Last edited:
Super curious how the DT group will look this year...I'd like Guy, Butler, Cowart, Murray...Allen is solid, but rather go cheaper and younger.
The only name in that group that can be even remotely relied-upon to try to stop the run is Guy, and that's not really his speciality; he's actually more of a natural 3-4 DE who has beefed-up over the years...Fat Thor just plain sucks, and the Comedian is a 280-lb, tryout-caliber, blocking-dummy-value DT...that is indeed Funny...except he's on our team...
Feel like BB values DT as he values RBs...fairly replaceable, I say this because of when he relied on Vellano and Jones and actually found some success.
Joey Vellano sucked.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots