PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2011 Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lots of talk about the DL, but I'm excited about this year's OL.

You lost all credibilty when you included Russell Okung. He has started 10 games in his entire NFL career I doubt you've seen him play more than once or twice.

Actually, saw him play twice, and was impressed. If you think Seattle would deal Okung for Light, you're smoking something. Light is on the downside of his career, and by PFF's admittedly non-justifiable metric (((Sacks + (0.75 * Hits) + (0.75 * Hurries)) / Pass Pro Snaps) * 100) Light was one of the worst pass blockers in the league. 2010 Pass Blocking Efficiency: Tackles | ProFootballFocus.com

Of course, by that metric, so were Bushrod and Roos - but that's where the problem with the stat comes in: it treats all QBs as equal. They aren't. A QB that gets the ball out quicker will have less hurries, and take less hits and sacks, than a QB that holds the ball. And Brady (unlike Brees, who likes to freelance, and the disaster at QB in Tenn. last year) is a guy who gets the ball out fairly quickly (except when taking shots deep, when he'll stand in the way he should). So when you consider that, the fact that Light was in the bottom 3 in the NFL for giving up sacks, hurries and hits per pass play in 2010 is pretty astounding - and damning.

(In fact, note that despite his - by their metric - horrible 2010, Roos was in the top 15 for pass blocking efficiency for the three year period between 2008-2010 Three-Year Pass Blocking Efficiency: Offensive Linemen | ProFootballFocus.com)

Bottom line - LT is a pass-blocking position, and Light is nowhere near the top 10 in that skill.

Last edited:

Actually, saw him play twice, and was impressed. If you think Seattle would deal Okung for Light, you're smoking something.

That is likely true, but it certainly doesn't support your claim that Okung > Light.

The fact that you included Jonathan Scott of all people on your list pretty much shows that your evaluation of Light is not credible.

I wonder if ohrnberger can take over for him next year. That and Cannon should be able to help on bull rushers. I'm optimistic. Maybe Ohrnberger isn't an ohrnbuster.

I wonder if ohrnberger can take over for him next year. That and Cannon should be able to help on bull rushers. I'm optimistic. Maybe Ohrnberger isn't an ohrnbuster.

Move over Ohrnberger. We Want Brewster!!!

Didn't it always seem that the plan was for Ohrnberger to hopefully replace Koppen? He's puny for a guard (have the Pats ever regularly played a 6'2" guard?) and extremely light when he got drafted but quick and supposedly very smart--a very good center candidate. He was always going to need a year or two in the weight room but then if everything went according to plan he's a much stronger, 300 poundish third year player with two years in the system at the same time Koppen's contract expires.

That is likely true, but it certainly doesn't support your claim that Okung > Light.

The fact that you included Jonathan Scott of all people on your list pretty much shows that your evaluation of Light is not credible.

I don't think Light is very good, at this point. He's a poor pass-blocker in a pass-first offense guarding his Franchise QB's blindside.

I don't think Light is very good, at this point. He's a poor pass-blocker in a pass-first offense guarding his Franchise QB's blindside.

Do you want the Pats to get rid of him?

Do you want the Pats to get rid of him?

No. As a Jets fan, I want him starting ;) :p

I think that unless Solder is ready to go Day 1, the Pats are a better team with Light than without him. But Light is not a very good LT at this point in his career.

No. As a Jets fan, I want him starting ;) :p

I think that unless Solder is ready to go Day 1, the Pats are a better team with Light than without him. But Light is not a very good LT at this point in his career.

If Light isn't cutting it at LT midway through the season I think Solder will be ready to take over.

Yes, but you probably think Slauson and Hunter are good players, and the list you supplied of LTs you claimed were better than Light was an absolute joke.

Looks like there is a possibility that Light will see his first playing time at Detroit.

Or then again, maybe not.

Bill Belichick Says Matt Light Will Play 'Soon,' Maybe Saturday in Detroit - New England Patriots - NESN.com - Jeff Howe

"If he's ready, I think he will be [playing Saturday]," Belichick said. "He's been out there. He's been able to do everything. I think his lead-up to the start of practice was good. Since he's been out on the field, he's been able to do everything we have asked him to do, so I think he's coming along. We'll see how it goes here [at Thursday's practice], see where we're at for the weekend. But I think he's close, I'll put it that way. If he doesn't play this week, I think he would be ready to play soon. Maybe he will be ready to play this week, I don't know."

Too bad your whole argument is based on misread data. You need to re-look at that link you provided. Light isn't bottom three. The chart has worst at 1 not 15. Light is roughly middle of the pack at LT, which is about right IMO.

Bushrod and Roos are also middle of the pack.

Worst is Dombrowski, third worst is Diehl.

But thanks for stopping by :rolleyes:

Actually, saw him play twice, and was impressed. If you think Seattle would deal Okung for Light, you're smoking something. Light is on the downside of his career, and by PFF's admittedly non-justifiable metric (((Sacks + (0.75 * Hits) + (0.75 * Hurries)) / Pass Pro Snaps) * 100) Light was one of the worst pass blockers in the league. 2010 Pass Blocking Efficiency: Tackles | ProFootballFocus.com

Of course, by that metric, so were Bushrod and Roos - but that's where the problem with the stat comes in: it treats all QBs as equal. They aren't. A QB that gets the ball out quicker will have less hurries, and take less hits and sacks, than a QB that holds the ball. And Brady (unlike Brees, who likes to freelance, and the disaster at QB in Tenn. last year) is a guy who gets the ball out fairly quickly (except when taking shots deep, when he'll stand in the way he should). So when you consider that, the fact that Light was in the bottom 3 in the NFL for giving up sacks, hurries and hits per pass play in 2010 is pretty astounding - and damning.

(In fact, note that despite his - by their metric - horrible 2010, Roos was in the top 15 for pass blocking efficiency for the three year period between 2008-2010 Three-Year Pass Blocking Efficiency: Offensive Linemen | ProFootballFocus.com)

Bottom line - LT is a pass-blocking position, and Light is nowhere near the top 10 in that skill.

You know my position on Connolly, but this could be a situation where the Patriots just want Solder to get work at different spots, or just don't like the interior depth and want Solder to get some work there. We'd probably know more if Cannon were healthy.

Having said that, a line of

Light
Mankins
Koppen
Solder
Vollmer

would be interesting to watch. Charting Brady's throws on each side, with all that height on the right, would be an NFL stat geek's dream.

The FAA will never allow Solder and Voillmer to line up next to each other.

Guard depth is scary. Rich Ob...ugh :bricks:

"24Lockdown" think about it......Hes a Rats troll.

you got me!

[edit: I don't know anything about football]

seriously though, you guys were saying how bad the jets depth is on the oline, but you're starters are not looking so hot...

Last edited by a moderator:
you got me!

[edit: I don't know anything about football]

seriously though, you guys were saying how bad the jets depth is on the oline, but you're starters are not looking so hot...

we'll see when all the patriots starters are the field at once. it's preseason for a reason...steelers got shalacked in their 3rd preseason game last year and ended up in the super bowl.

Logan Mankins should take a pay cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results