PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patricia: Return of the Rocket Scientist

I don't like this.

So sick of these coordinators crawling back after having their little affair with another team lol. Patricia coming back with the losing stench of Detroit. Hose him down before he gives us football aids.

Why is everyone here happy with this?

The era he was here was probably the worst defensive era for the Patriots under the Belichick era.

No idea what team you watched but 2014, 2015 and 2016 were pretty strong years. Even 2017 wasn't bad -- especially given the loss of HT midseason -- but all everyone remembers is the SB.

He clearly was able to translate BBs vision to the field otherwise he wouldn't have stayed DC for so long.

No idea what team you watched but 2014, 2015 and 2016 were pretty strong years. Even 2017 wasn't bad -- especially given the loss of HT midseason -- but all everyone remembers is the SB.

He clearly was able to translate BBs vision to the field otherwise he wouldn't have stayed DC for so long.

2014 was actually underwhelming given the talent of that team had on defense (McCourty, Hightower, Revis, Browner, etc.) despite being strong.

2014 was actually underwhelming given the talent of that team had on defense (McCourty, Hightower, Revis, Browner, etc.) despite being strong.

They dominated opponents through the season and won a SB in which the offense turned the ball over twice. I don't know what you mean by underwhelming. You are aware that the only meaningful defensive stat is the amount of points given up relative to those scored, right ?

How to you come back to the Pats with any credibility as Patricia now?

"Hi guys. Good to see some familiar faces. Now I know for the last few years you've been playing a new style of defence where you try to "stop" the other team from advancing the ball, and "force punts" etc. [*physical air quotes used]

But I'm a rocket scientist. So, we're going back to our old scheme of conceding the first 80 yards of the field and then doing our damndest to hold them to field goals in the red zone. Everybody good with that?"

The string of baffling missteps continues. Maybe Matt will compete for qb. I mean, he could probably stumble forward into the end zone a couple times next year just as well as Cam did, and he's likely got a better arm at this point.

My real concern is how this might affect Jarod Mayo, who already has to keep an eye over his shoulder for the Coach's nepotistic children. Now this. Jarod is really going to amount to something down the road: it now seems that might have to happen elsewhere.

We've all seen analyses of Bill's many shortcomings - failures - over the past few years. Add this to the list.

I do not yet say Bill is past it, but I do say the burden of proof is now squarely on him.

Ask yourself: what has he done for us lately? This? Yeah, right.

Bill's surrounding his kid with people he trusts.

McDaniels wanted out so badly he would take the awful Philly job because he knows the organizations plan.

Matt would probably be good being his kids defensive coordinator. He's had his taste of coaching.

Bill likes to teach and his kid seems like he wants to learn. That's what I think is happening.

They dominated opponents through the season and won a SB in which the offense turned the ball over twice. I don't know what you mean by underwhelming. You are aware that the only meaningful defensive stat is the amount of points given up relative to those scored, right ?

Nah not true. You can give up only 21 points, but if you take too long to get off the field in doing so, that's just as bad as giving up 35 on shorter drives.

Why? Because when you take long to get off the field, you're a) letting the other team burn clock, and b) you are rarely giving your offense good field position. When that happens, the offense barely has the ball, their margin for error is lower, and it's harder for them to get into a rhythm.

His 1st action should be to fire BB's kid. The one that coached the LBs.

As bad as he was with the Lions, the Patriots defensive players loved him here.
They may have loved him but the next year when Flores was calling the defensive plays the players kept saying they weren’t thinking as much just playing because it wasn’t as complicated.

I dont mind it. Doesnt mean it's going to translate into anything substantive though. Smart guy, but he didnt exactly leave NE on a high note, or Detroit for that matter.

Sounds like he’s there more to evaluate talent.
If he brings Stafford or Golladay to New England or old buddy Trey Flowers I’m all
For it. Matter of Fact eff it let’s get Harmon and Jamie Collins back Too.
Hopefully Dan Campbell starts jettisoning players we can pick.

The string of baffling missteps continues. Maybe Matt will compete for qb. I mean, he could probably stumble forward into the end zone a couple times next year just as well as Cam did, and he's likely got a better arm at this point.

My real concern is how this might affect Jarod Mayo, who already has to keep an eye over his shoulder for the Coach's nepotistic children. Now this. Jarod is really going to amount to something down the road: it now seems that might have to happen elsewhere.

We've all seen analyses of Bill's many shortcomings - failures - over the past few years. Add this to the list.

I do not yet say Bill is past it, but I do say the burden of proof is now squarely on him.

Ask yourself: what has he done for us lately? This? Yeah, right.

There's only two coaches that have done more lately Thelonious the erroneous. The winner of this year's and last year's SB. 2018 BB delivered yet another SB trophy in case you've forgotten.

Patricia coming back shouldn't be any worse than when Josh came back having led the league's worst offense (12pts/game) in St Louis 2011, and after being fired from Denver going 5-17 before being fired in 2010. Patricia sounds like he's a good teacher, just have to put him in spots that he's good at.

Last edited:
Good news. More continuity after we have lost a ****ton of supporting staff in the last 3-4 years.

So far it has been a fine offseason in terms of staff adjustments.
Hmm, I’m still not sure. Nick wore a lot of hats for this team. Hopefully MP and this cat he is bringing with him can pick up some of those responsibilities and perform wel.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back