PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

Our move should be to pressure the 49ers to release by trading up to 7 or 8 (use 2nd & 3rd) to take Pitts or Chase or consolodate our position for Mac Jones. Make out we are going with Cam now, and we could trade a late pick for Minshew. Carry 3 QBs whether the third is Stidham or Jimmy G is down to the 49ers release! Having Minshew anyway makes sense due to Cam and Jimmy injuries.

If I'm Jimmy I hand in a trade request at this news. He's too young to be just a vet placeholder for a rookie.

Can't build a future with a franchise that has effectively said "babysit our new star for a year then you're history."

Are you saying people tend to not appreciate being required to train their replacement so they can get fired?

Brady is hanging 50 on BB
That match up will be interesting. I think BB especially got players that will give Brady Problems in the match up this year. My money is on BB.
The Bucs got very lucky last year. Their significant injury rate was below the mean in the NFL and this year it will return to the average. They were one team that also benefitted from the IR rules last year

Again, the trade didn’t happen until a lot changed. Brady was in the middle of an MVP season, Jimmy’s agent wasn’t playing ball on a team friendly contract, Kraft inserted himself for the first time and told Bill that Brady was his QB. The trade happened at the last possible moment when Jimmy was either getting traded or was going to hit free agency. At that point those were the options. He wasn’t actively shopping around Jimmy or angling a trade. Jimmu was already gone and it was a matter of getting something or nothing.
And again, my point is a lot can change on the 49ers front between now and then. Maybe the guy the want most falls to 3, who they already think is ready but didn’t think they could land. Or maybe they do get the guy they expect, who they thought would need seasoning, but suddenly he’s actually is instantly impressive in camp and looks better than Jimmy G. Maybe the Jags reach out to them today and say they’ll offer Mineshew for a 5th rounder. Suddenly things change. “Jimmy G is our starting QB in 2021” now is no longer the scenario.

Schefter’s being used as leverage in case something like that happens. As he should be if you‘re in the 49ers front office.

Yeah he can say trade me to NE, cut me, or pay me $24M. The end.

Looking back on it, this offense really does look good for him. He obviously likes the TE considering his time with Kittle. He already knows Bourne. He's injury prone, but NE has the best OL in football to protect him. They can lean on play-action. Their WRs aren't "elite" but Jimmy can definitely hit the open man quickly.

And if he gets hurt a few weeks, they have Cam, who can realistically beat the easier teams handily if they just go extremely run-heavy and don't ask him to throw much. If that doesn't work, there's still Stidham.

Or SF can start him and contend this year and cut him next year

Not sure that proves anything. You know who else has a winning record as a starter? Cam Newton? You know who else? Mitchell Trubisky. Remember Jay Fiedler from the Miami Dolphins? He had a winning record in his career as well.

Comparing Jimmy with Stafford doesn’t work because Jimmy doesn’t have the arm talent Stafford has nor the overall resume. Stafford is a proven franchise QB (top 10 guy for the past decade) who has only missed 8 games in 10 years as the full time starter. He played for one of the worst run franchises in all of sports so I wouldn’t hold the W-L record against him, he’s not the reason why they were terrible. Jimmy missed more than that just last season.

Why are you talking trash about Jay Fiedler?

He at least won a playoff game. Something that "franchise QB" Matthew Stafford has yet to do.

So the Pats were supposed to trade up in this draft?! Phins got how many picks?! No way BB can pull this off. Not enough draft capitol. In Cam we trust...

This is interesting and suggests the 49ers aren’t locked in on a specific QB.

Has such block buster trades ever worked for the team that gave away picks?

Why are you talking trash about Jay Fiedler?

He at least won a playoff game. Something that "franchise QB" Matthew Stafford has yet to do.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay... so at best, you’re just messing with me, and at worst, you’re dead serious...

Either way there’s nothing more to be said here. Have a good day.

Three first round picks to move up 9 spots, wow
Maybe this will put a little reality check on those who are speculating what it would take for the Pats to move up the same 8 or 9 slots.

Not only its a lot, it's a whole lot more that that when you consider you just paid it for the chance to get JUST the #3 QB available.

On the surface this makes no sense. The Jags will take Lawrence and the Jets will either take Wilson and trade Darnold, or sell the pick to another suitor who IS looking for Wilson. Either way the Niner will have paid 3 first round picks for the chance to the 3rd pick of the litter. :rplleyes:

BTW- for those who think this is the way Jimmy gets back to NE, think again. If the Niners moved up to get a QB #3, then they are going to choose between Lance and Fields, and according to a lot of what I've read, neither of those guys are likely to be ready to start on day one. So unless the Niners are punting on 2021, then Jimmy will be in SF for at least the next season.

Last edited:
I think that translates to "We like Lance, but if the Jets pass on Wilson for whatever reason we'll certainly take him."
Very little risk. Obviously Lawrence is off the table. But to me Fields/Wilson is negligible and if you like Lance or Jones skill sets you have the option. So the only downside is if you are all in on either Wilson or Fields

Maybe this will put a little reality check on those who are speculating what it would take for the Pats to move up the same 8 or 9 slots.

Not only its a lot, it's a whole lot more that that when you consider you just paid it for the chance to get JUST the #3 QB available.

On the surface this makes no sense. The Jags will take Lawrence and the Jets will either take Wilson and trade Darnold, or sell the pick to another suitor who is LOOKING for Wilson. Either way the Niner will have paid 3 first round picks for the chance to the 3rd pick of the litter.
In yet if they hit on QB, none of it matters.

Are you saying people tend to not appreciate being required to train their replacement so they can get fired?
Exactly! If you're 39 years old it's one thing training a rookie, but Jimmy is probably a year or two from his prime. He needs to be playing for a contender and building a team that can win over the next 3-4 years. Like New England.

So the Pats were supposed to trade up in this draft?! Phins got how many picks?! No way BB can pull this off. Not enough draft capitol. In Cam we trust...
I'm sure we still have our future first rounders

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back