PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

I wonder how Cam is feeling after news of the 49ers moving up to 3 broke?

You mean from a cap perspective? The first issue that he’s taking home $24m this year, which apparently no team wants to pay. But even if the Pats did, they could renegotiate a deal that would fit easily under this year’s cap if they wanted to. They can’t fit him as is though.
Yup. Got $11M. I don’t see a realistic “fit easily” deal. What you got?

Not to be a downer, but this could be doubly bad for the Pats. The 49ers could decide to keep Garoppolo for one more year to allow whoever they draft to develop. It also means the Pats could be out of reach of any of the top five QBs in the draft even if they are willing to trade up.

I am not a huge Garoppolo fan. But if the Pats we’re going that route, their best bet was for the 49ers to trade for Darnold or another established QB. If the 49ers draft Trey Lance, it is almost a certainty they will keep Garoppolo because Lance isn’t NFL ready and the 49ers would likely want him to sit a year and develop.

Not to be a downer, but this could be doubly bad for the Pats. The 49ers could decide to keep Garoppolo for one more year to allow whoever they draft to develop. It also means the Pats could be out of reach of any of the top five QBs in the draft.

I am not a huge Garoppolo fan. But if the Pats we’re going that route, their best bet was for the 49ers to trade for Darnold or another established QB. If the 49ers draft Trey Lance, it is almost a certainty they will keep Garoppolo because Lance isn’t NFL ready and the 49ers would likely want him to sit a year and develop.
Another point, is why would they trade Jimmy now? He’s worth it to keep as a bridge, is already under their cap, and if they got rid of him, there’s no one left to spend the money on in free agency. I strongly think they’re keeping him.

Another point, is why would they trade Jimmy now? He’s worth it to keep as a bridge, is already under their cap, and if they got rid of him, there’s no one left to spend the money on in free agency. I strongly think they’re keeping him.

Draft picks vs releasing him next year for nothing.

Also, Jimmy may not want to stay and train his replacement

Draft picks vs releasing him next year for nothing.

Also, Jimmy may not want to stay and train his replacement

But if they don’t think the QB they draft is ready, they got Garoppolo basically in a contract year motivated to get a new deal next year. That may be more important to the 49ers than a third or fourth round pick especially if they think they can contend this year with Jimmy under center.

Maybe Peyton wants to win a ring with Bill to piss off Tom lol.
For real though unless New England moves up to 5 before the draft Lance or Fields is not walking thru the door.
So we are in Jimmy G, Darnold, Minshew, Mariota, Love, Lock, Mills, Mond, or stay Pat with Cam or Stidham territory. I think that covers it all.
Or Bill convinces Brees to un-retire. Yea, that's the ticket.

Miami and Philly both traded back today. That is not a move by a team looking to draft a QB.
I think they're not committed to drafting a QB. But if someone they're not expecting to be available is there, they might still take one. The premise of the initial post was how a QB might drop to the Pats, but I think plenty of teams would grab someone who is falling

I think they're not committed to drafting a QB. But if someone they're not expecting to be available is there, they might still take one. The premise of the initial post was how a QB might drop to the Pats, but I think plenty of teams would grab someone who is falling

After two trades Miami dropped from #3 to #6 and added a 2021 3rd and 2023 1st. Miami would have offered the Eagles to swap the 3rd and 6th pick for the same package, a 1st in 2 years and a 3rd this year. That is the equivalent of a 2nd and 3rd at best. The Eagles declined and moved back to 12th. If the Eagles thought any of the QBs, after Wilson and Lawrence, were any good they would have moved up - the cost was reasonable. The Eagles obviously think QB 3 - 5 leave a lot to be desired. Most likely Miami agrees. Very unlikely either team will take a QB that is falling because they could have had the same player for marginal additional cost (or an opportunity lost cost).

If he becomes a free agent and can be had cheap they could do worse, I'd sign him on an incentive laden deal and draft a QB. Then cut Cam...

I have no problem with that idea. But as long as he's still considered a bridge.

You mean from a cap perspective? The first issue that he’s taking home $24m this year, which apparently no team wants to pay. But even if the Pats did, they could renegotiate a deal that would fit easily under this year’s cap if they wanted to. They can’t fit him as is though.
Idk, maybe. Brady had a $25M cap hit that got lowered to $9M with an extension and adding 3 voidable years. That would all but wipe out Pats cap space.

It's doable if you restructure other contracts to free up $9-$10M but is it worth it?

I posted something like this earlier in the thread. Suppose they think he’s worth 25m a year as QB (just for sake of argument). They could wipe out his current deal and replace with a 5 year, 125m contract with a 20m signing bonus. 1m salary in 2021, 26m salary in 2022-2025. Gets a 5m cap charge in 2021, 30m cap charge from 2022-2025. If the Pats think the cap is going up with the new tv deal, they might think 30m for a QB is more feasible than they did 3 years ago.
Idk, maybe. Brady had a $25M cap hit that got lowered to $9M with an extension and adding 3 voidable years. That would all but wipe out Pats cap space.
See above. What helps here is that there is no pre-existing bonus with Jimmy G as that stays with the 49ers. In Brady’s case, TB can’t do anything about last year’s signing bonus proration, so his cap charge could only go down so much.

After two trades Miami dropped from #3 to #6 and added a 2021 3rd and 2023 1st. Miami would have offered the Eagles to swap the 3rd and 6th pick for the same package, a 1st in 2 years and a 3rd this year. That is the equivalent of a 2nd and 3rd at best. The Eagles declined and moved back to 12th. If the Eagles thought any of the QBs, after Wilson and Lawrence, were any good they would have moved up - the cost was reasonable. The Eagles obviously think QB 3 - 5 leave a lot to be desired. Most likely Miami agrees. Very unlikely either team will take a QB that is falling because they could have had the same player for marginal additional cost (or an opportunity lost cost).
Yup, Tua and Hurst are sleeping comfortably tonight.

Gawd, Miami robbed the 49'ers, man, whew. I am jealous; this is the type of robbery that the Patriots used to do.... The 49's have to be out of their minds...they mortgaged their future so they could draft an unproven QB who could turn onto the next JaMarcus Russell.

This bad news for the Patriots since Miami will be able to build off this robbery.

Ok. Let’s take this step by step.
Jimmy wants to be traded.
If the 49ers want to trade him he gets traded.
If the 49ers don’t want to trade him they want to play him.

So the argument you are making us that a guy who has been able to play 25 of his teams last 48 games and is being asked to start and make 24 million dollars would be sensible to tell the team FU because you drafted my eventual replacement and I’m too good to be replaced so I am going to become a dlck and set out to destroy your locker room until you trade me, because that is my best career move.
Seriously?
Yes. You must be watching peewee football. Have you not heard of Watson? That is exactly what he is trying. There are plenty of divas who force a trade: Jalen Ramsey, Yannick Ngakoue, Jamal Adams, Antonio Brown, Eric ****erson, Randy Moss, Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Brett Favre, Joe Montana, John Elway, etc... You act as if a player has never demanded a trade and threatened to hold out. I really don't know what league you watch.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back