PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passing of the tourch.

Mahomes is going to be a great QB for a long time.

But he has a lot to prove yet.

Marino in 84 had a similar type of breakthrough, and never wound up reaching that peak again.

We’ll see. We hear this with every young QB who comes up the ranks. He has a lot of talent but . . .

Tourche!! This year it was Mahomes. Next year it will be Mayfield. Then Lawrence trying to get Brady's crown.

The TD thing is an impressive stat but that doesn't guarantee future success.

First guy to spring to mind is Culpepper. Light up the league, seem unstoppable and then for various reasons fall off of a cliff. If Culpepper and Moss and Cris 'Fall Guy' Carter were to time travel to today I think Culpepper is easily north of 40 TDs and looks unstoppable.

Flacco got benched for a guy who struggles to complete a pass. Luck pulled a disappearing act.

You can buy into a single historic season as a guarantee that Mahomes is going to end up in the Hall all you want. My point is that there is no guarantee of anything, I want to see sustained success over a period of time.

Before I annoint someone as the next Brady or Brees I want to see them play for more than 4 months.

This. Don’t forget Dak Prescott was also one of the recently Anointed. We’ll see.

You are making the same mistake people did with Wentz, RGIII, Luck, Wilson....the list could go on and on. Yes PM had an AMAZING season and you are quite properly excited about the future. However you need to stop focusing on the impressive throws and realize he is a very young guy and still makes mistakes. Lots of them amd unless he continues to improve he will be figured out. That's what makes Brady so great the never ending drive and hunger to always get better. Year in and year out for 18 years now. So no, no torch has been passed and we will see what year two of PM looks like. For now he is just another name ina long list of QB's Brady sent home early.

Now all of that said I think he has a better chance of being the next best QB in the league when Brady retires then anyone else on that list. He was extremely impressive and I look forward to seeing him develop. The chiefs have absolutely nothing to regret they left it all out on the field and gave the pats all they could handle. Great game, and good luck next year....until they play the pats ;)

Losing Hunt was a major blow to the chiefs. Their running game wasn't much which is why we got away with our front.

The mother of all hot takes.

Pretty much, it seems like the OP was really trying hard to make himself feel better.

On another note, it was pretty apparent that the best TE in the NFL continues to be GRONK, the full package. Kelce will also have to wait to receive the "tourch."

At least he can work on his TD dance at McDonalds!

#1 seed with home-field
MVP season for Mahomes
Mahomes on rookie deal
Hill on rookie deal
Last year before NFL has full season of tape on Mahomes
Late 4th quarter AFCG lead vs Pats

...and you still lost.

This was your year to beat Brady. Instead, you lost to him. (Twice)

Now, your best bet is hoping he "only" plays 4 more years (aka one presidential term) to 45 as he has mapped out.

Somewhere last night on the broadcast was a "fact" that the Chiefs are going to extend Mahomes this offseason, with a $200M contract. Isn't that two years early? Why would they do that? It removes one of their greatest competitive advantages for the next couple of years.

Mahomes is a fantastic QB and he could very well retire with a few rings. That being said, ain't **** passed last night.

So if you look at the thread I started I pretty much called this game right on with a 34-31 Pats win. Obviously looking at the game it could of been a toss up either way coming down to that last minute and then a coin flip. But to the Pats credit they won and are off to the super bowl.

BUT in watching the game live it just looked like the torch as been passed. Mahomes looks much better and more well rounded, can make all the throws and keeps a very level head. I think he has a lot of Brady intelligence with the farve or rogers arm talent. Our Defense is just awful, I mean like "All Time Historic Bad" defenses to ever play football. We all thought Berry would help but really did nothing to help.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years. I'm glad Brady gets his one last swan song and we will see what he does in the super bowl, I think you have just as good a chance beating them as you did us so your odds look good.

But to most people around the country ( the QB cannot control defense) it was a pretty easy to see passing of the torch. Mahomes will carry it well into the next 15 years and thanks for a good game guys.

There is no doubt that Mahomes is an electric player. For such a young guy, he showed a lot of poise last night. With a bit more seasoning he should reach the elite levels. Where Mahomes can falter, like so many have before, is when the pressure is truly on his shoulders. I'm talking when your 5 skill players invoke a nation-wide "Who?"; when the bills come due and your team has to cut back on the second level talent. We'll see.

That said, this knock on Brady for his "dink and dunk" style just amazes me. The NFL is not Madden X. The records that matter - wins, comebacks, Super Bowls - belong to Brady for a reason. He doesn't care - take what the D is giving you, and make them regret it. Efficient drives, patience, discipline. Add to that the total package approach by BB and the rest of the staff, and you have a true TEAM that understands, and embraces, the fact that a W is worth a thousand Sports Center moments.

So if you look at the thread I started I pretty much called this game right on with a 34-31 Pats win. Obviously looking at the game it could of been a toss up either way coming down to that last minute and then a coin flip. But to the Pats credit they won and are off to the super bowl.

BUT in watching the game live it just looked like the torch as been passed. Mahomes looks much better and more well rounded, can make all the throws and keeps a very level head. I think he has a lot of Brady intelligence with the farve or rogers arm talent. Our Defense is just awful, I mean like "All Time Historic Bad" defenses to ever play football. We all thought Berry would help but really did nothing to help.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years. I'm glad Brady gets his one last swan song and we will see what he does in the super bowl, I think you have just as good a chance beating them as you did us so your odds look good.

But to most people around the country ( the QB cannot control defense) it was a pretty easy to see passing of the torch. Mahomes will carry it well into the next 15 years and thanks for a good game guys.

Another example of someone who just doesn't get it.

Executing an offense that gets NE to the Super Bowl 50% of the years since this offense was installed (9 trips in 18 years)...."displeasing to the eye"

News flash:
"Dink and Dunk" nets 30+ points in most every Pats playoff game.
"Move the chains" game plans have earned Brady 29 playoff wins
Brady's 500 yds in last year's SB must be a misprint

PS: The Mahomes fanboy purposely ignores his QB's dumpoffs to his RB that kept KC in the game. When Brady does it......D & D....but when Mahomes does it....GLOWING TORCH

Last edited:
Again no salty, no issues just being pragmatic about it, you guys as a team looked really good tonight and what I was most impressed with was your coaching, absolutely out coached us for sure. But just watching the game live you could easily see that the torch was passed at QB. Don't worry we will take good care of it. Again good game fellas

I just went on Chiefs planet for a few minutes and that's...quite the interesting site...

Losing Hunt was a major blow to the chiefs. Their running game wasn't much which is why we got away with our front.

Damien Williams scored 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter.

Again no salty, no issues just being pragmatic about it, you guys as a team looked really good tonight and what I was most impressed with was your coaching, absolutely out coached us for sure. But just watching the game live you could easily see that the torch was passed at QB. Don't worry we will take good care of it. Again good game fellas

Win something then get back to us.

Brady's stats may look bad but we handed off inside the 5 yard line like, what, 3 times for a TD? He doesn't get credit for it but he is sure as **** the reason we got there

Mahomes had a truly remarkable season, and earned his MVP.

With that said, I wouldn't be too quick to the trigger on any career labels. Nobody saw 2008 for Brady after 2007. Gannon and Esiason had MVP seasons, but are not in the Hall of Fame. If health, personnel and personal drive are there, then maybe he is the future. Those are really big if's.

In professional sports, especially a contact sport like football, I wouldn't be quick to look past the season and the ability to put a collection of great years together. If you need a cautionary tale on the uber kid who comes out of nowhere to shock the world, see local product Mark "The Bird" Fidrych. 22 year old All Star and Rookie of the Year with a 19-9 record, #2 in Cy Young voting, 2.34 ERA. Next year tore his knee, done in five seasons having never repeated that success.

What makes Brady the greatest is greatness over time. Others will grab the great years, but fortune tellers trying to call the future have repeatedly failed in calling his end, let alone the identity of those who will come to replace him. I like Mahomes, and I wish him well because he does seem to be a decent kid and is fun to watch, but I wouldn't be so quick to anoint him the future of anything just yet.

Dude slow down. 15 years? Dude has come up limping 2 playoff games in a row. He will be lucky to see 10. Also, he isn’t Brady in any way shape or form nor ever will be Brady has “dinked and dunked” for years. Why? Because it is a precision based offense while “Showtime” plays a version of backyard football. Only real time Brady didn’t was Moss in ‘07 and a real NFL fan would know that.

Mahomes has shown me NOTHING that says he is even clsoe to Brady in anything other than physical gifts.
I think he has physical gifts that Brady has never possessed but I think mentally he is very close to brady and next year will probably be at his level. Again nothing against Brady but this game was a passing of the torch QB wise, the bigger deal here was how well you were coached, that is what won the game, not the QB. Hell Alex Smith could of played that game and won against us the way you were coached. Sort of reminded me of the year Peyton won the SB when he was a shell of what he was. Brady isn't the reason you guys with this year, the Hoodie is the reason. Again good game.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back