PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passing of the tourch.

24 points in the 4th quarter. Very well may have won the game in OT had the coin bounced differently. Big fan of Mahomes' game and expect him to get even better.

But that's for later. No torch was passed. Not tonight at least. The NFL's Final Boss moves on. As he tends to do. It's crazy, I know. Guy put his team in the SB three straight times since turning thirty-freaking-nine.

Regards,
Chris

Mahomes is going to be a great QB for a long time.

But he has a lot to prove yet.

Marino in 84 had a similar type of breakthrough, and never wound up reaching that peak again.

The fact you are reviving one of the earliest criticisms of the guy suggests maybe he's not done.

Either way thanks for coming in here and saying 'well we lost but I was basically right also your QB is old.' So classy.

Please feel free to eat a **** on your way out.
5KXIXL.gif

So if you look at the thread I started I pretty much called this game right on with a 34-31 Pats win. Obviously looking at the game it could of been a toss up either way coming down to that last minute and then a coin flip. But to the Pats credit they won and are off to the super bowl.

BUT in watching the game live it just looked like the torch as been passed. Mahomes looks much better and more well rounded, can make all the throws and keeps a very level head. I think he has a lot of Brady intelligence with the farve or rogers arm talent. Our Defense is just awful, I mean like "All Time Historic Bad" defenses to ever play football. We all thought Berry would help but really did nothing to help.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years. I'm glad Brady gets his one last swan song and we will see what he does in the super bowl, I think you have just as good a chance beating them as you did us so your odds look good.

But to most people around the country ( the QB cannot control defense) it was a pretty easy to see passing of the torch. Mahomes will carry it well into the next 15 years and thanks for a good game guys.
You are a good guy, but the one thing none of you “new” qb fans get... it doesn’t mean a thing til you pay your qb. This is the time you are suppose to win. Wilson, Big Ben, Flacco, Newton, once you pay a guy top dollar it gets a lot harder. Talk to me when Mahomes is making 25 mil a year and your terrible defense has no money to spend on it.

So if you look at the thread I started I pretty much called this game right on with a 34-31 Pats win. Obviously looking at the game it could of been a toss up either way coming down to that last minute and then a coin flip. But to the Pats credit they won and are off to the super bowl.

BUT in watching the game live it just looked like the torch as been passed. Mahomes looks much better and more well rounded, can make all the throws and keeps a very level head. I think he has a lot of Brady intelligence with the farve or rogers arm talent. Our Defense is just awful, I mean like "All Time Historic Bad" defenses to ever play football. We all thought Berry would help but really did nothing to help.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years. I'm glad Brady gets his one last swan song and we will see what he does in the super bowl, I think you have just as good a chance beating them as you did us so your odds look good.

But to most people around the country ( the QB cannot control defense) it was a pretty easy to see passing of the torch. Mahomes will carry it well into the next 15 years and thanks for a good game guys.

Excellent post and very insightful.

Yes, the torch has been passed. It's been passed from the Colts, Steelers and Texans to the Chiefs, as the new Patriots *****.

Congratulations! May many AFC finalist banners be in your future.

You are a good guy, but the one thing none of you “new” qb fans get... it doesn’t mean a thing til you pay your qb. This is the time you are suppose to win. Wilson, Big Ben, Flacco, Newton, once you pay a guy top dollar it gets a lot harder. Talk to me when Mahomes is making 25 mil a year and your terrible defense has no money to spend on it.
Prolly like 35 ngl

Mahomes is going to be a great QB for a long time.

I got nothing against the guy and I'm not particularly inclined to bet against him but we've seen other QBs come in and light up the league on that level and then end up as journeymen.

In 3-4 years if he's still taking his team deep into the playoffs and lighting up the scoreboard when cap issues will almost certainly keep him from having the best set of offensive options in the league like he has now, well, we'll see how things stand then.

If he really want to have the best chance of cementing his legacy he may have to take a page out of Brady's book and take team-friendly deals instead of this 200m blockbuster people are already predicting.

You did catch that he completed barely half his passes, right? fpr 295 yards. While Brady was hitting 65 percent of his? For 348.

I mean, sure Captain Obvious, pretty stunning insight that a guy 41 years old is nearer the end of the road than a guy 23 is, but to PASS the TORCH, you need to PASS the TORCH. That did not happen. Mahomes and the Chiefs lost. No torches were passed.

Also, too: It's kinda hard to amass 348 yards passing if you're 'dinking and dunking' all night.

#1 seed with home-field
MVP season for Mahomes
Mahomes on rookie deal
Hill on rookie deal
Last year before NFL has full season of tape on Mahomes
Late 4th quarter AFCG lead vs Pats

...and you still lost.

This was your year to beat Brady. Instead, you lost to him. (Twice)

Now, your best bet is hoping he "only" plays 4 more years (aka one presidential term) to 45 as he has mapped out.

Last edited:
I got nothing against the guy and I'm not particularly inclined to bet against him but we've seen other QBs come in and light up the league on that level and then end up as journeymen.
I do honestly think he’s just shown too much to wind up becoming a journeyman.

For me, it’s more about it being yet to be seen whether he becomes a HOF level QB, or just another very good QB that had only brief peaks where he was at that elite level. But ultimately does not get the job done. (Think Matt Ryan)

In 3-4 years if he's still taking his team deep into the playoffs and lighting up the scoreboard when cap issues will almost certainly keep him from having the best set of offensive options in the league like he has now, well, we'll see how things stand then.

If he really want to have the best chance of cementing his legacy he may have to take a page out of Brady's book and take team-friendly deals instead of this 200m blockbuster people are already predicting.

No, you haven't really seen anybody come into the league, throw 50 TDs his first year, get to the Conference Championship and then turn into a journeyman. What he'll eventually become is still up in the air, but pretending that lots of guys have come in and done what he did this year and then turned into journeyman makes no sense.

Last edited:
To support my "New Patriots *****" position, the Patriots have now beaten the Chiefs 3 out of the last 4 - twice in the playoffs, once in scary Arrowhead, with a last second win and an overtime win.

Oh and your shiny new QB is now 0-2 against the Patriots, making Alex Smith still the superior QB.

Maybe have Alex Smith "pass the torch" first?

No, you haven't really seen anybody come into the league, throw 50 TDs his first year, get to the Conference Championship and then turn into a journeyman. What he'll eventually become is still up in the air, but pretending that lots of guys have come in and down what he did this year and then turned into journeyman makes no sense.
Fantasy numbers are meaningless now. Someone will throw 60 td in 3 years.

But just couldn't help watching Brady dink and dunk down the field for most of the evening that his time is about done. Watching Mahomes shows you what the future of the NFL will be for the next 15 plus years.
I was going to just disregard this "observation" but on second thought: you have no freaking idea what the hell you're talking about. Brady didn't "dink and dunk" his way down the field as though that's all his allegedly declining skills could muster. He threw lasers on slants, sideline patterns and seam routes and completed a bomb for a touchdown. "Dink and dunk"? Hardly. Yes, Tom is in the twilight of his career but he played tonight like the champion he is. Your boy Mahomes has yet to win anything. He will be very, very lucky to survive 10 years physically (let alone 15) with his style of play -- especially with the unnatural torque he puts on his arm throwing opposite the direction he's running. He's 23 and can get away with that stuff now, don't count on it lasting forever. It also might be prudent to see what Mahomes accomplishes under duress in the heat of playoff competition before crowning him "the future of the NFL." So far, he's 1-1.

Last edited:

Dink and dunk? Do you see Tyreek Hill or Sammy Watkins speed and athleticism on the Pats WR corps? You must have been watching something else because Brady put on a clinic in the 4th quarter/OT throwing lasers 15-20 yards with pinpoint accuracy. I guess you would rather he throw deep to Chris Hogan? People who think he “dink and dunks” have serious critical thinking issues. He plays to the strengths of his receivers; when he speedsters on the outside (Cooks, Gordon) he’ll go deep often.

Mahomes is an amazing talent, but the idea of “passing the torch” to a guy with one whole playoff win? Yikes.

Your post is bad and certainly not rational.

For the torch to be passed Mahomes is going to have to beat Brady at least once. At the moment he's 0-2

I love Mahomes. For his first year I don't think I could ask any more of the guy. But he made some mistakes that were costly in both games against the Patriots. He needs to learn from those and come back stronger next year. Then the torch will be passed. But damn he's exciting to watch

No, you haven't really seen anybody come into the league, throw 50 TDs his first year, get to the Conference Championship and then turn into a journeyman. What he'll eventually become is still up in the air, but pretending that lots of guys have come in and down what he did this year and then turned into journeyman makes no sense.

Well, the rules and a WR like Hill have a whole hell of a lot to do with that. Combine that with his amazing ability to adjust arm angles etc. as someone said earlier the whole season is now on film. If BB can retool the D with faster guys...yeah it will make it very hard.

No, you haven't really seen anybody come into the league, throw 50 TDs his first year, get to the Conference Championship and then turn into a journeyman.

The TD thing is an impressive stat but that doesn't guarantee future success.

First guy to spring to mind is Culpepper. Light up the league, seem unstoppable and then for various reasons fall off of a cliff. If Culpepper and Moss and Cris 'Fall Guy' Carter were to time travel to today I think Culpepper is easily north of 40 TDs and looks unstoppable.

Flacco got benched for a guy who struggles to complete a pass. Luck pulled a disappearing act.

You can buy into a single historic season as a guarantee that Mahomes is going to end up in the Hall all you want. My point is that there is no guarantee of anything, I want to see sustained success over a period of time.

Before I annoint someone as the next Brady or Brees I want to see them play for more than 4 months.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back