PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers fire GM

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Hm...well this is odd...

Panthers have been well run past few years while he was running the show since he was hired in 2013. Rumors that Bills new GM that was hired from Carolina and worked as their assistant GM was leaking picks during the draft to the Bills...wonder if that has anything to do with this.

He did botch the secondary pretty hard last year. I know he also deserves credit for drafting decent replacements in Bradberry and Worley, but c'mon...he let Norman walk for nothing despite (IIRC) not needing the cap space for anything else.

Then, consider the WRs Newton has had to work with lately. His top targets have been Olsen (a tight end), 1 good year of Kelvin Benjamin, and...Ginn? This went on for years with no real sense of urgency. Even when they took one early, it was a slow, borderline TE in Funchess.

Odd timing for sure. And he was doing a good job for them. Super bowl appearance in 2015.

He did botch the secondary pretty hard last year. I know he also deserves credit for drafting decent replacements in Bradberry and Worley, but c'mon...he let Norman walk for nothing despite (IIRC) not needing the cap space for anything else.

Then, consider the WRs Newton has had to work with lately. His top targets have been Olsen (a tight end), 1 good year of Kelvin Benjamin, and...Ginn? This went on for years with no real sense of urgency. Even when they took one early, it was a slow, borderline TE in Funchess.

Agree on the offense but imo he took a big step in fixing that with the additions of mccaffrey and samuel.

problem is with ron rivera, not dave gettlemen.
Think so? Aside from one bad season last year, he's been pretty consistently good. I'd bet on Carolina to bounce back this year.

When I think of teams that could use to shake up the franchise and start over with a new plan... the Panthers do not appear on that list.

What the heck is going on in Carolina?

Yeah the team fell off a cliff 1 year after a SB appearance thats a bad look...considering they are keeping Rivera blame fell to GM. The defense had some age to it but I agree he mismanaged the DBs pretty horribly last year which lead to much of this slide.

WR has always been weak but Cam has been able to overcome it. They also had like the easiest schedule of all time the year they went to the SB fwiw....

Think so? Aside from one bad season last year, he's been pretty consistently good. I'd bet on Carolina to bounce back this year.

When he thinks they should have a home opener to celebrate losing in the Super Bowl and then double down and blame that for the reason they sucked, I'd say Ron Rivera is not a good coach.

This is really weird. I live in South Carolina and heard no complaints about this guy. Even Norman was viewed as a problem. Consensus was he was doing a good job building the team. There has to be a back story.

Agree on the offense but imo he took a big step in fixing that with the additions of mccaffrey and samuel.

Must have been too little, too late. Either that, or the firing was known internally a while ago and someone else was calling the shots this offseason. Just some wild guessing.

I'm still somewhat surprised by this but just offering some possible reasons why this was justifiable.

Also FWIW I think McCaffrey will be a colossal bust as a top 10 pick. Reggie Bush 2.0. Will be a very good receiving back but not a 3 down guy.

He was a hard ass on paying some veterans. Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen at present. Maybe Richardson took the players' side.

This is really weird. I live in South Carolina and heard no complaints about this guy. Even Norman was viewed as a problem. Consensus was he was doing a good job building the team. There has to be a back story.

I live in SC as well, but have yet to meet a Panthers fan.

I live in SC as well, but have yet to meet a Panthers fan.

Ha! I live 40 miles from Charlotte, so there are some. Mainly Clemson fans - ugh.

Also FWIW I think McCaffrey will be a colossal bust as a top 10 pick. Reggie Bush 2.0. Will be a very good receiving back but not a 3 down guy.

I don't know what your standards are but Reggie Bush had a pretty damn good career. 9,000 rushing and receiving yards and 58 TDs is nothing to sneeze at.

I don't know what your standards are but Reggie Bush had a pretty damn good career. 9,000 rushing and receiving yards and 58 TDs is nothing to sneeze at.

Can you honestly say the Saints got a good return on their #2 overall pick? He turned out fine, even great for a couple years. But for his draft position, he was a huge bust. I see McCaffrey the same way. He'll be real good in a lot of ways, just not a game changing, all-around superstar.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back