PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Owners including Kraft must turn over all cell phone records

I'm sorry, but the reason very clearly is not his playing ability. He is not great, but talent wise should be on a team. He is rightfully being not hired by the teams. The collusion thing should not be a thing, they can hire who they want.

If he threw for 4,000 yards, 32 TD passes, and won 60% of his games last year he would definitely be on a team this year. So while I get your point I don't think you can say it has nothing to do with performance. We've seen time and again that franchises don't really have 'moral values' and will take 'players with any baggage' as long as they can help win.

As I said a week ago, some team should hire Kaepernick and save the owners millions. Kaepernick may or may not be better than some starter. He is clearly good enough for SOME team to hire him at Hoyer type pay as a backup.
If he gets hired today it would be evidence toward a claim of collusion up until now.

:)

IMHO, a settlement is much more likely. the owners would like this to go away.
Why? He doesn’t have a leg to stand on.
Settling will hurt them worse publicity wise.

Right. HE had a 1-10 record. It had NOTHING to do with the rest of the team, or the organization, it was him that had a 1-10 record. I certainly don't think he's great, but it's instructive that you don't note his 16-4 TD-INT ration, or his 91 quarterback rating. No, HE was 1-10.
Why would statistics generated while losing be meaningful?

But still can't get over this fact: HE opted out of his contract last year. He ALSO had opportunities to take a backup role, but refused them.

What, he has the right to demand a starting job now?

He opted out in the same way that you get "asked to resign" so your boss doesn't have to give you **** afterward.

There's no good reason why Kaep isn't at least a backup with the currently active QBs. The Patriots, however, have never made sense as a landing spot for him so I'm not worried.

I'd be worried if I were the Ravens.

if anything they would have encouraged other teams to do so

To be clear, you believe that Kraft's emails will show that he encouraged other owners to sign Kaepernick?

@mtgeich Did you miss the "if anything" part? IMO, be a bit more charitable when reading other's claims :).

I'm sorry, but the reason very clearly is not his playing ability. He is not great, but talent wise should be on a team. He is rightfully being not hired by the teams. The collusion thing should not be a thing, they can hire who they want.
These are two separate things. They can hire who they want, but they can't collude. Barring collusion is part of the rules, so it can't just be dismissed because it "should not be a thing".

So I don' t know anything about law. But can't the owners just delete all phone records without anyone ever finding out? And emails too?

do these owners even know how to text?

Meanwhile, right now, the best possible fit for Kaepernick's style of play might in fact be...

...the Houston Texans. o_O

200w.gif

Why would statistics generated while losing be meaningful?
They indicate that the team might just possibly have had other, worse problems than the QB who was good enough to take them to the Super Bowl a few years earlier.

It would be terrible if some other collusion got leaked from their phones like say a fictitious deflate scandal to put the players in their place and prove they can do it to anybody. Or simply Mara insisting on it and Fraudger agreeing would be good enough.

And are the owners compelled to turn over records, or is this a request by Kaep's legal team. What would compel one to do such a thing in a civil case

Parties in civil cases can require the production of all sorts of documents. One can refuse to produce what is requested, claiming the request is unreasonable for some reason (overly broad, unduly burdensome, not reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of relevant evidence...) , then the requesting party files a motion to compel and the judge decides.

If a party is caught hiding something they should produce, there are potential (severe) criminal consequences in addition to civil ones.

Marty Schottenheimer was 14-2 as head coach of San Diego when he was fired in 2006. San Diego never again equaled that record and Marty never saw a head coaching job again. But ... he didn't sue the NFL over collusion.

Obviously it's a team game, but the quarterback is by far the single most important player on any football team......so a 1-10 record is going to reflect poorly on a quarterback. Especially in today's age of football where refs throw a gazillion flags against the defense throwing 16 TD passes in 11 games is not very impressive.

I mean, legally, it's got to be tough to convince someone you're being outcasted for non-performance reasons when you managed to lead your team to a 3-16 record the past two years of playing.

I would think that legally Tim Tebow would have a better shot suing than Kaepernick in his position.

I mean, I can't imagine this being good for Kaep either, after all, now does he get to listen to 32 different owners/gm's testify and explain EVERY reason why they think he is a bad player?
If a 1-10 record reflects badly on him, than you have to work it the other way as well. 2012 and 2013 he was 17-6-1 in the regular season and 4-2 postseason including a very competitive SB appearance. It works both ways.

It might just be possible that losing a good coach and replacing him with Jim freaking Tomsula and the Chip Kelly might just possibly have been a more important factor.

As I've said before, I don't think he's great, but he's certainly way better than some of the clowns who have jobs in the league right now, and in the right system I expect he'd win his fair share of games.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back