PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Overall Needs After Further Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish the Pats were more predictable sometimes, so I could say things like "dude you are so wrong," but hey, if the FO agrees, fine. I think the value approach may well yield players exactly as you request them; maybe not. Need obviously plays in as well, but an "offer you can't refuse" at some of these positions may push them right up the totem pole in Patsland.

Howsomever, I have to say I am okay with your rundown through number 1 and number 2 (though number 2, not so much... I would even concentrate at LB, and hold off a year at safety.) Here's where we start to diverge...

#3 - "ultra elite" receiver talent? Sorry, you just don't know that until 3 years after a draft. Maybe spending a first day pick at WR makes sense, but I would definitely not go first round, because I perceive a need right now. Your big stories at WR are so often late round finds, like NO's Colston or arizona's Boldin. I remember the latter holding down the fort while 2 first rounders were sitting around licking their wounds... in any event, I think the Chad experience tells us one thing: you can't just insist on instant fixes out of the draft at WR. Chad may come along, he may not... but let's not do a high-round WR 2 years running, to fix a perceived present need. Second comment... in terms of FA, I've come around to the idea that an "upper middle class" WR, if he comes at that pricetag, would be okay... I'm high on Bennett, but I don't know what his demands are likely to be.

#4 - no, no, no, no, no. First off, Faulk is a role player, first last and always. That means low mileage. He's also going to be 31 this year, not ancient. Faulk's not getting any younger... though he is getting more noisome in terms of cap space. I would say ask him to consider restructuring... but no, we do NOT need another candidate for featured back. Maroney is the man until proven otherwise. With luck, we get a repeat of this year's backfield, which actually produced quite well. (Now watch BB go and grab TJ Duckett from Washington as a power back/goal line vulture, and just to make me look like an ass.)

5, 6 - you're back on track.. I think these get addressed pretty much as you've written it.

7 - Maybe. What little we've seen of our "development project" here looks okay. I'd like to know more about Cassel, but then again, I wouldn't, because that would mean something happened to Brady. Maybe it is likely we'll throw in a QB choice, if history is our guide... and I think yes, another veteran backup would be a good idea, not the guy who has a social security check in addition to the game check.

8 - The more the merrier... agreed. I don't think BB is ever afraid to throw in more OL talent.

9 - NOT ANOTHER TIGHT END... but you know it's coming. Only question is whether it's one more or 2.

PFnV

2) Safety - I hold fast on this count as safety can be a team changing position. High end star safeties make plays all game long and can lend a real air of confidence to a team, see Sanders, Reed, Polamalu, etc.

3) WR - I forgot to mention Bennett, I'm glad you did, because he could be a reasonably priced upgrade. I like the guy and he is obviously more likely to help this year but I wonder just how big a change he'd be from Gaffney. If Bennett asks for twice what Gaffney gets I'd have to say he' not worth the difference in price. I believe Bennett is better but not for that much extra dough.

4) RB - I hear what you're saying about Faulk being a role player, but since speed and agility are the first things to go on a back and those two things are Faulk's forte, I'd still very concerned about a sudden decline in output from him. The chances we get a "repeat of this year's backfield" are very low. Dillon could be a goal line back but planning to get more than that from him would be exceedingly rash. His restructing will sour him and he already 'milks it' by taking off 2 of every three plays, plus his speed ( ah, a better word would be movement?) to the corner is gone. I wasn't thinking so much that we'd draft another feature back more that we'd grab a Faulk-like tweener in the late second/3rd round range. Either way, counting on two 30+ backs to be mainstays of your offense is asking for big trouble and has killed other solid teams.

BBB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results