PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Base Is At Least 5 Defensive Backs, and A Front Six

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We had at least 5 defensive backs on the field almost all the time (perhaps even all the time.

Depending on the offensive set, we played the 3rd corner (usually Jackson) or the 3rd safety (Harmon).

And yes, J Jones also got some good reps.

That's SEVEN solid defensive backs, all producing well in their roles. (and perhaps we will have help in the future from Crossen, Obi and Dawson.
=======
Folks complain about our front six. We are fine for 2018 with
DL: Flowers, Guy, Wise, Claiborne, Butler
LB: Hightower, Van Noy, Roberts, Simon
We will need some additions in 2019, but that is standard operating procedure. Out current backups may be back or more likely not (Davis, Rivers, Shelton)

Last edited:
We had at least 5 defensive backs on the field almost all the time (perhaps even all the time.

Depending on the offensive set, we played the 3rd corner (usually Jackson) or the 3rd safety (Harmon).

That's SEVEN solid defensive backs, all producing well in their roles. (and perhaps we will have help in the future from Crossen, Obi and Dawson.
=======
Folks complaint about our front six. We are fine for 2018 with
We will need some additions in 2019, but that is standard operating procedure. Out current backups may be back or more likely not (Davis, Rivers, Shelton)
We barely play a snap with a front 7.

On Madden, I forego the 3-4 and typically use some derivation of nickel.

People wanted more speed and coverage ability. Given how difficult it is to get those unicorns among LBs the thing that always made sense was to use more DBs instead. As long as you don't get gashed on the ground it is a sound approach.

=======
Folks complaint about our front six. We are fine for 2018 with

DB snap counts yesterday:

D.McCourty = 61 (100%)
J.McCourty = 61 (100%)
Gilmore = 61 (100%)
Jackson = 54 (89%) - pretty much full time at LCB since halftime of the Jets game
Chung = 52 (85%)
Harmon = 33 (54%)
Melifonwu = 12 (20%) - he had 13% v. the Jets
JJones = 2 (3%) - in garbage time yesterday
-----

Brown and Guy were the mainstays at DT yesterday.

DL snaps:

Flowers = 48 (79%)
Brown = 31 (51%)
Guy = 30 (49%)
Clayborn = 24 (39%)
Wise = 17 (28%)
Butler = 14 (23%)

I'm beginning to doubt that Shelton gets offered another contract in the spring.

Both Rivers and Davis (who's developed much further than Rivers) are under cheap contract for 2018. It's possible that the Pats give up on Rivers even before OTAs. But I think they're likely to keep Davis through the end of Camp and make a decision it that point.

People wanted more speed and coverage ability. Given how difficult it is to get those unicorns among LBs the thing that always made sense was to use more DBs instead. As long as you don't get gashed on the ground it is a sound approach.

BB doesn't seem to mind LBs who can't cover well. But he also seems to abhor DBs who can't won't tackle really well.

Both Rivers and Davis (who's developed much further than Rivers) are under cheap contract for 2018. It's possible that the Pats give up on Rivers even before OTAs. But I think they're likely to keep Davis through the end of Camp and make a decision it that point.

Next offseason will be huge for Rivers. I doubt they give up on him before cuts in camp. He is cheap, has potential and will finally have a full offseason to develop instead of rehabbing. It still sucks that he has not contributed at all.

DB snap counts yesterday:

D.McCourty = 61 (100%)
J.McCourty = 61 (100%)
Gilmore = 61 (100%)
Jackson = 54 (89%) - pretty much full time at LCB since halftime of the Jets game
Chung = 52 (85%)
Harmon = 33 (54%)
Melifonwu = 12 (20%) - he had 13% v. the Jets
JJones = 2 (3%) - in garbage time yesterday
-----

Brown and Guy were the mainstays at DT yesterday.

DL snaps:

Flowers = 48 (79%)
Brown = 31 (51%)
Guy = 30 (49%)
Clayborn = 24 (39%)
Wise = 17 (28%)
Butler = 14 (23%)

I'm beginning to doubt that Shelton gets offered another contract in the spring.

Shelton is as good as gone.

Obi one melon fondu seems to be getting on the field a decent amount...

Shelton is as good as gone.

Obi one melon fondu seems to be getting on the field a decent amount...

Well, Obi has 20 total D-snaps over the course of two games - averaging about 16%. So, let's not go overboard. ;)

That said, I have a feeling that the Pats will blowout Miami next Sunday. If that comes to pass, I bet we see a lot of Obi and "the Duke" in the 4th-Q. Maybe even some Crossen and Humber (which sounds like an outdoorsy clothing company).

This is why I expect us to go hard after a run stopping dt either in the draft or FA.
When branch was at his best (and Hightower in there) we were a strong run d with a nickel base, stringer than most trans playing 34 or 43 base.

Well, Obi has 20 total D-snaps over the course of two games - averaging about 16%. So, let's not go overboard. ;)

That said, I have a feeling that the Pats will blowout Miami next Sunday. If that comes to pass, I bet we see a lot of Obi and "the Duke" in the 4th-Q. Maybe even some Crossen and Humber (which sounds like an outdoorsy clothing company).
16% is not alot but a decent amount. More that JJ got yesterday.

BB doesn't seem to mind LBs who can't cover well. But he also seems to abhor DBs who can't won't tackle really well.
I think he realizes that LBs who can cover well barely even exist.

Yeah, this is a clear response to the direction the NFL is headed. I’d be interested in seeing how our DB usage compares to the rest of the league.

This is why I expect us to go hard after a run stopping dt either in the draft or FA.
When branch was at his best (and Hightower in there) we were a strong run d with a nickel base, stringer than most trans playing 34 or 43 base.
That's what BB thought he was getting with Shelton. Can't win em all.
As usual, Pats D getting stronger when it counts. Plus a very physical offense. If they can stay healthy, I see the Pats as THE favorites to win it all. Still a long way to go and **** happens, but I'm feeling good about this team.

16% is not alot but a decent amount. More that JJ got yesterday.

A "get your feet wet" amount. Slightly less than what Jackson got his first two games.

I have no idea what's going on with JJ. It's not great, though

Yeah, this is a clear response to the direction the NFL is headed. I’d be interested in seeing how our DB usage compares to the rest of the league.

BB has been working on the nickel as the base defense, and on blurring the lines between CB and safety, since 2010. He actually said as much back in 2010.

BB has been working on the nickel as the base defense, and on blurring the lines between CB and safety, since 2010. He actually said as much back in 2010.
Right, the nickel as the base was pretty much established by 2010. But I believe what's changed since then has been a significant increase in the amount of snaps in dime and with 7 DBs (quarter defense?). I'd need to pull the stats to see if this is true or not, and I don't have the time for that unfortunately. And it's more than that too; in the amoeba defense yesterday, we often saw just one traditional lineman - Flowers most often, with Butler otherwise. The other non-DBs were linebackers. Back in 2010, how often did we see a defense on the field with zero 300 pounders? Or even zero 280 pounders? I recognize what we saw yesterday is still rare, but having it happen even once is more frequent than 2010 and earlier.

Yup, that’s why slot corner has been a position on the Pats that could count on getting paid (sometimes accompanied by fan head scratching).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back