PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OTish: How do you run practices in plague times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be abused? Players who want to play play for more money, and players who don't want to play don't lose out on their base salary. Easy peasy
Please let me see if I understand you, because I find it rather difficult to believe that you're suggesting what it sounds to me like you're suggesting.

Are you saying that any player who decides to sit out this season still gets paid what he would have otherwise received, and the players who do play get paid their regular salary plus extra?

That is sure what it seems to me you are suggesting but that cannot possibly be the case.

Please let me see if I understand you, because I find it rather difficult to believe that you're suggesting what it sounds to me like you're suggesting.

Are you saying that any player who decides to sit out this season still gets paid what he would have otherwise received, and the players who do play get paid their regular salary plus extra?

That is sure what it seems to me you are suggesting but that cannot possibly be the case.
I meant it tongue in cheek but I don't get what you meant by that being abused. In this not serious hypothetical situation what would be exploited?

Just FYI, I got this email from the Pats today. I'm a STH.

Thank you for your continued patience as we prepare for the 2020 football season. Today, we are reaching out with new information regarding our expected seating capacity in 2020 and how it will impact Season Ticket Members.

Last week, Gillette Stadium met separately with members of the Massachusetts Reopening Advisory Board and Town of Foxborough officials to present a plan to safely host fans this season. Additionally, we received new requirements and recommendations from the NFL that all stadiums will follow in 2020. Those guidelines include the following stipulations:

• Ticketed parties will be required to maintain at least six (6) feet of physical distance from other ticketed groups.
  • Ticketed parties will be arranged in blocks of ten (10) seats or less.
  • The first eight (8) rows of the stadium will not be accessible to fans this year.
  • All ticketholders will be required to wear face coverings inside the stadium.

Most importantly, in accordance with these guidelines – and subject to state and local approvals – should Gillette Stadium welcome fans in 2020 it will operate at approximately 20 percent of its total capacity. Ticket quantity and game availability will be extremely limited and it is unlikely that Season Ticket Members will have the opportunity to attend every home game in 2020. Additionally, Season Ticket Members should expect that if tickets are available, they will be given access to locations within the stadium that are different from their existing seating assignments.

We know these constraints will impact your membership and stadium experience. However, Season Ticket Members who retain their accounts in 2020 will be given priority access to available tickets pending state and local approvals to operate with fans. We are currently working on an updated seating manifest and we will communicate forthcoming details about ticketing inventory, pricing, refunds, and the allocation process as soon as the final number of available seats is confirmed. Tickets will then be made available on a single-game basis to account for adjustments that may need to be made as the season progresses. Please also understand that the impact of our stadium capacity reductions due to physical distancing requirements will prevent us from accommodating any requests for seat upgrades or relocations this season.

We recognize that this information may prompt you to reconsider your commitment to attending games this year. If you have decided you do not wish to retain your Membership in 2020, you are welcome to defer your Season Ticket Membership. Your existing seat location, regardless of whether you retain or defer your membership in 2020, will be protected and available for you to renew in 2021.

If you wish to defer, please let us know prior to Friday, July 31 by completing the 2020 Deferral Agreement on your xxxxx . Once you have logged in, click your name in the upper right hand corner of the homepage. In the dropdown menu, select "Your Account." On the next page, complete the 2020 Deferral Agreement. Your recent payment will be applied as a credit toward the 2021 season, or we will be happy to offer you a full refund. You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours of submitting your signed Agreement.

We appreciate your continued support of our efforts to provide a safe environment for everyone at Gillette Stadium in the age of COVID-19. While the circumstances this year are unique in many ways, the one constant is your dedication to our team, and for that we are extremely grateful.

Sincerely,
Patriots Member Services
Did you defer or are you going to try to attend some games?

Did you defer or are you going to try to attend some games?
I'm going to defer. If there is a season I may get tickets to one game from the secondary market just to see how weird it is, but I did not want to commit to an entire season. I usually go with my dad and he's 72 so I would not feel comfortable going to any games with him.

Presumably everyone will get tested before every practice and every game...

Seems like the league/the owners is about to **** up a couple of no brainers and risk the season:

Doubt there will be a camp in 14 days (and season) if the league doesn't agree to those things. How can you even try to make COVID a non football injury in times like these. I get that they can get it outside of practices and camp as well but how can you expect players to wrestle with each other in the closest proximity and then try to take their pay away via NFI.

Last edited:
1 word. Madden.

There might be a vaccine soon. Hopefully so because I really want the season to happen.

U.S. COVID-19 vaccine program to start manufacturing by late summer, says U.S. official

I love the stories I'm seeing & of course, hope for the best. For Reuters to be saying they'll begin production in late summer is extraordinary (particularly since no vaccines are out of clinical trials).

The story here is that they're planning to produce while doing the scaled up testing of the vaccine. It's also possible that the Oxford trial (I think) have T-cell boosting effects as well as antigen production, which would be great, because it's looking like immunity is fleeting with COVID.

Now for the cold water... the first tranche of doses are likely for the health care front lines (and naturally the politicians). Probably, so that everything looks "normal," they'll include athletes too.

The downside is that any downsides from pushing really hard to go really fast could turn the public off the vaccine even once it's fixed :(

There's also a marked preference for optimistic results and a marked tendency in the present regime to put the politics ahead of the science. Stay tuned.

I'll be the second guy on my block in line to get it :D

I don't think I'll be picked but I volunteered to be part of a vaccine trial. I can't live like this with everyone scared of their own shadow. Not to mention the stupid uniform (the M word).

Just give them methadone and call it a wrap

I don't think I'll be picked but I volunteered to be part of a vaccine trial. I can't live like this with everyone scared of their own shadow. Not to mention the stupid uniform (the M word).

Annnnd just like that, off we go into the politics of schizophrenia again.

I love the stories I'm seeing & of course, hope for the best. For Reuters to be saying they'll begin production in late summer is extraordinary (particularly since no vaccines are out of clinical trials).

The story here is that they're planning to produce while doing the scaled up testing of the vaccine. It's also possible that the Oxford trial (I think) have T-cell boosting effects as well as antigen production, which would be great, because it's looking like immunity is fleeting with COVID.

Now for the cold water... the first tranche of doses are likely for the health care front lines (and naturally the politicians). Probably, so that everything looks "normal," they'll include athletes too.

The downside is that any downsides from pushing really hard to go really fast could turn the public off the vaccine even once it's fixed :(

There's also a marked preference for optimistic results and a marked tendency in the present regime to put the politics ahead of the science. Stay tuned.

Heard an NPR interview with a microbiologist a while back and he said that under certain circumstances such as a pandemic that multiple labs would agree to focus on different methods to create a vaccine. One would use method A, another method B and so on to expedite the creation of a working vaccine. At the time he said that with that teamwork effort and the advances in microbiology it would be quite possible to have a vaccine by the end of the year. Anyway I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I think practices and games should be run very, very carefully and that any player who wants to play should have that right. Anyone who doesn't agree has the right to stay away.

I think practices and games should be run very, very carefully

What does that mean in the context of football ? How do you practice or play games very, very carefully ?

Heard an NPR interview with a microbiologist a while back and he said that under certain circumstances such as a pandemic that multiple labs would agree to focus on different methods to create a vaccine. One would use method A, another method B and so on to expedite the creation of a working vaccine. At the time he said that with that teamwork effort and the advances in microbiology it would be quite possible to have a vaccine by the end of the year. Anyway I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hope for the best, plan -- and act -- for the worst. Including the 2 or 3 things we know work. Wear a mask or murder your neighbor (not to mention screw up football this year.)

We've screwed this pooch so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye