PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OTish: How do you run practices in plague times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Ross Tucker made an interesting point I don't recall seeing before:

So how do you deal with this? Presumably NFL practices are massively structured around position groups being together all the time.

I have no idea how they do this. Maybe morning practice for the starters and evening for the backups with heavy sanitization of the locker room and equipment in between? Honestly it all seems like a crapshoot as one equipment guy or coach gets it and all of a sudden 2 dozen players get it. What does a team do when their entire starting offensive line gets it?

If this season is played it is going to be a complete mess. Look at how long it took the NBA for someone to break free from the bubble. A player left yesterday to pick up fast food and now has to quarantine for 10 days.

I would break it up into 3 groups: The starters, the back ups, and the emergency guys.

And every group runs their own drills...e.g. each QB has his own throwing session with his guys, starting OL-men work out together, etc...

A lot of moving parts...but it is what it is.

I wonder if the Pats' smaller-than-usual coach staff will be "overworked" this year overseeing multiple groups?

It's pretty clear that we will need more than just an expanded practice squad to deal with this, even with frequent testing. I am thinking a 60 man roster and 15 man practice squad. And yes, starters and backups at the same position should probably not practice together.

I would break it up into 3 groups: The starters, the back ups, and the emergency guys.
That may work for the QB's but the thing is, you are not 3-deep at every position and, over the course of a game, you see endless different combos.

For example, take the WR position. You don't want to practice exclusively with your best 3 WR's with your #1 QB and the next 3 with the #2 QB. Ideally, you have only 1 guy play QB for an entire game (not including garbage time) but any one of those 6 WR's might be on the field at any time working with the #1 QB.

I think we will not be able to answer this until we know the exact agreement between the NFLPA and NFL with regard to testing protocols, practices rules and everything else.

It is really ridiculous that the league took such a slow burning approach to it all and here we are now in the middle of July and nobody still knows how exactly camps are supposed to work.

Leave it to this incompetent bunch of idiots to just twiddle their thumbs through May and June instead of proactively work towards solutions for the most likely scenarios.

Amazing the NFL hasn’t even told teams how they’re doing this yet or fans if anyone will be allowed to attend.

That may work for the QB's but the thing is, you are not 3-deep at every position and, over the course of a game, you see endless different combos.

For example, take the WR position. You don't want to practice exclusively with your best 3 WR's with your #1 QB and the next 3 with the #2 QB. Ideally, you have only 1 guy play QB for an entire game (not including garbage time) but any one of those 6 WR's might be on the field at any time working with the #1 QB.

I think it's worth the risk to practice only with the top 3 WR's and let the #4-#6 guys figure it out if they are thrust into action.

How about...

Keep everything the same. But pay them hazard pay lol.

Those who dont want to play could just keep their normal salary. The NFL could afford it

Amazing the NFL hasn’t even told teams how they’re doing this yet or fans if anyone will be allowed to attend.
Just FYI, I got this email from the Pats today. I'm a STH.

Thank you for your continued patience as we prepare for the 2020 football season. Today, we are reaching out with new information regarding our expected seating capacity in 2020 and how it will impact Season Ticket Members.

Last week, Gillette Stadium met separately with members of the Massachusetts Reopening Advisory Board and Town of Foxborough officials to present a plan to safely host fans this season. Additionally, we received new requirements and recommendations from the NFL that all stadiums will follow in 2020. Those guidelines include the following stipulations:

• Ticketed parties will be required to maintain at least six (6) feet of physical distance from other ticketed groups.
  • Ticketed parties will be arranged in blocks of ten (10) seats or less.
  • The first eight (8) rows of the stadium will not be accessible to fans this year.
  • All ticketholders will be required to wear face coverings inside the stadium.

Most importantly, in accordance with these guidelines – and subject to state and local approvals – should Gillette Stadium welcome fans in 2020 it will operate at approximately 20 percent of its total capacity. Ticket quantity and game availability will be extremely limited and it is unlikely that Season Ticket Members will have the opportunity to attend every home game in 2020. Additionally, Season Ticket Members should expect that if tickets are available, they will be given access to locations within the stadium that are different from their existing seating assignments.

We know these constraints will impact your membership and stadium experience. However, Season Ticket Members who retain their accounts in 2020 will be given priority access to available tickets pending state and local approvals to operate with fans. We are currently working on an updated seating manifest and we will communicate forthcoming details about ticketing inventory, pricing, refunds, and the allocation process as soon as the final number of available seats is confirmed. Tickets will then be made available on a single-game basis to account for adjustments that may need to be made as the season progresses. Please also understand that the impact of our stadium capacity reductions due to physical distancing requirements will prevent us from accommodating any requests for seat upgrades or relocations this season.

We recognize that this information may prompt you to reconsider your commitment to attending games this year. If you have decided you do not wish to retain your Membership in 2020, you are welcome to defer your Season Ticket Membership. Your existing seat location, regardless of whether you retain or defer your membership in 2020, will be protected and available for you to renew in 2021.

If you wish to defer, please let us know prior to Friday, July 31 by completing the 2020 Deferral Agreement on your xxxxx . Once you have logged in, click your name in the upper right hand corner of the homepage. In the dropdown menu, select "Your Account." On the next page, complete the 2020 Deferral Agreement. Your recent payment will be applied as a credit toward the 2021 season, or we will be happy to offer you a full refund. You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours of submitting your signed Agreement.

We appreciate your continued support of our efforts to provide a safe environment for everyone at Gillette Stadium in the age of COVID-19. While the circumstances this year are unique in many ways, the one constant is your dedication to our team, and for that we are extremely grateful.

Sincerely,
Patriots Member Services

Last edited:
If you test negative before practice, what's the worry? As long as players aren't dumb enough to head to a public spot in-between that test and the practice. Unfortunately some are.

Presumably everyone will get tested before every practice and every game...

I imagine they have this position group infection risk any season with a cold or flu going around (i.e., every season). This one will have hand-wringing and precautionary procedures time 100 though even if cases aren't bad.

At the high school level here in NH, we breaking up into position groups. Further break downs into small groups of max of 10, with two coaches, so 8 players. Those players stay together for all drills all week, those coaches stay with that group of 8. We are only conditioning, so no inter-squad 1 on 1 or 7 on 7 yet.

In NH, it's going to end up being local control, at least for the time being. The governor is speaking as we speak. I know this isn't the NFL, but it would make sense to have something along these lines at any level.

The same as you always do. Most players in the NFL aren't in the high risk group.

And this virus is only slightly more deadly (mostly to older people with preexisting conditions) than the yearly flu.

The same as you always do. Most players in the NFL aren't in the high risk group.

And this virus is only slightly more deadly (mostly to older people with preexisting conditions) than the yearly flu.
Lol so take no precautions at all?

Playing gloves would be mandatory. I guess they have a specialized helmet on trial right now, or faceshield?

5000 wind sprints a day since most aren’t going to be in playing shape with almost no preseason.

Shower at home

uber eats from the stadium to home.

actually I don’t know jack.

Hopefully, by September, the spit test is in place. That'll allow for players to be tested multiple times a day, and even people attending games, because the results will be available in a few minutes.

I can see the entry line at the game where you are given a test with a number, spit in the cup, tear off the matching number, and get a text activates your ticket. It'll take a while to get in to the game, but we've adapted to that kind of thing before.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...t-4-0_opinion-card-b-right:homepage/story-ans

That would create a situation ridiculously rife for abuse.
What would be abused? Players who want to play play for more money, and players who don't want to play don't lose out on their base salary. Easy peasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back