PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Other WR’s Not Named Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the Roster
Reaction score
I would like to see Golden Tate and his YAC in our offense, but unless Malcolm Brown can generate a large enough contract elsewhere to cancel him out in the comp pick formula, I question whether BB will bring him in if it costs him one of the current 3rds.

Who won’t cost anything in comp pick formula? RFA’s. 2 interesting names are Rashard Higgins and Geronimo Allison, both on original round tender.

Higgins may be behind OBJ, Landry, Njoku, and perhaps Callaway if he develops. If they really wanted Higgins they could have assigned the 2nd round tender for another million.

Allison is behind only Adams as far as proven talent is concerned, but GB triple-dipped in the draft last year bringing in Moore, St Brown, and Valdes-Scantling with the latter 2 showing some promise in their rookie years. GB has also spent the bulk of its cap room in free agency before it has officially begun. Again, a player who could have been locked in for a mere 1 million more in a 2nd round tender, and a franchise that may have been preparing a year ahead for Cobb’s departure that may have found 2 cheap replacements.

2 yrs, 10m with 5 gtd to buy out 1 yr if FA for one if not both? Doesn’t break the bank, both guys are young, and no cost to comp pick formula???
Or, sweeten the pot a la Welker and throw in a day 3 pick to acquire RFA rights and sign the longer term deal.

John Ross / AJ Green
Mohamed Sanu
Donte Moncrief
Chris Conley
LaQuon Treadwell
Tavon Austin

I see a trade coming out of nowhere.

I would like to see Golden Tate and his YAC in our offense, but unless Malcolm Brown can generate a large enough contract elsewhere to cancel him out in the comp pick formula, I question whether BB will bring him in if it costs him one of the current 3rds.
Well, we know Malcolm Brown (I refuse to spell his first name correctly) isn’t going to command that type of deal.

I think we’ll have to pass on Tate for financial reasons, though, not necessarily because we’d lose a third round comp pick.

I thought Shepherd might be an option at the trade deadline last year but after the OBJ trade I'm not sure now. Would the Browns trade away Rashad Higgins now? Breshad Perriman is now back on the market and John Ross is another option for a trade but neither feel like Pats type receivers. The other option might be Agholor but at $9m this year, it seems out of our price range.

What about one of the Jags receivers? They have Lee, Westbrook, Cole, Chark (and Moncrief a free agent). If they want to get Chark a bigger role given he was a high pick last year, and they focus on running the ball then maybe one might be available. Jags receivers have hurt us in recent years, which is always a sign that Bill might want one.

The WR free agent market is thin. I really only see Dorsett coming back at say 2 years $7-8m and then some low level signings along the lines of Matthews etc like last year.

AJ Green might be a great candidate. We only need to convince the Bengals that they are dead in the water and they should have a fire sale.

AJ Green might be a great candidate. We only need to convince the Bengals that they are dead in the water and they should have a fire sale.
Good luck with that. I know that someone brought this idea to the forum and everyone has been running with it, but I’m not sure why they’d want to trade their best player, unless Bill gave them an offer they couldn’t refuse.

Those who are throwing out proposals of a third round pick for AJ Green have been playing too much Madden. They have a top tier RB, have already stated that they’re keeping Dalton, and aren’t likely to crush the hearts of their fans by giving up their team leader, especially to the Patriots.

Good luck with that. I know that someone brought this idea to the forum and everyone has been running with it, but I’m not sure why they’d want to trade their best player, unless Bill gave them an offer they couldn’t refuse.

Those who are throwing out proposals of a third round pick for AJ Green have been playing too much Madden. They have a top tier RB, have already stated that they’re keeping Dalton, and aren’t likely to crush the hearts of their fans by giving up their team leader, especially to the Patriots.
People say the Giants would never trade OBJ. This offseason. We are all guessing here.What is fun shutting down every possible scenario. We have to get three or four WRs from somewhere.

People say the Giants would never trade OBJ. This offseason. We are all guessing here.What is fun shutting down every possible scenario. We have to get three or four WRs from somewhere.
Not meaning to rain on anyone’s parade or anything. I just don’t see Green as being a viable target, that’s all. You could be right, of course.

As far as filling the holes at WR, you saw what they trotted out there, last season, so forgive me for being somewhat skeptical. I think it could easily be a couple of draft picks, Edelman, and one of Hogan/Dorsett to go along with a lower level free agent signing. Of course, I hope I’m wrong and they make a big splash, but I think they’re more cap strapped than people have assumed.

Not meaning to rain on anyone’s parade or anything. I just don’t see Green as being a viable target, that’s all. You could be right, of course.

As far as filling the holes at WR, you saw what they trotted out there, last season, so forgive me for being somewhat skeptical. I think it could easily be a couple of draft picks, Edelman, and one of Hogan/Dorsett to go along with a lower level free agent signing. Of course, I hope I’m wrong and they make a big splash, but I think they’re more cap strapped than people have assumed.

Green is much attainable than OBJ was. OBJ went for 17th and a 3rd with Jabrill Peppers who is just ok. Cook for two year straight went for a bottom first round. Elite WRs' price tags are not as high as elite DEs.

Green is much attainable than OBJ was. OBJ went for 17th and a 3rd with Jabrill Peppers who is just ok. Cook for two year straight went for a bottom first round. Elite WRs' price tags are not as high as elite DEs.
OBJ was locked up under a 5 yr pact and had a much higher ceiling. I agree with you that Green can maybe be had, but I think it might take more than people are expecting.

Of course, thus far, it’s nothing more than a fabrication of fanboy fantasies. We have no idea if Cincy and their new coach would even entertain such an offer, not to mention that cap space would need to be cleared and we still have a lot of our own to deal with. Would Belichick really give up another first for a one year rental? Is he going to pay Green top dollar on a new contract? There are lots of questions that need to be answered before this could even be seriously considered.

OBJ was locked up under a 5 yr pact and had a much higher ceiling. I agree with you that Green can maybe be had, but I think it might take more than people are expecting.

Of course, thus far, it’s nothing more than a fabrication of fanboy fantasies. We have no idea if Cincy and their new coach would even entertain such an offer, not to mention that cap space would need to be cleared and we still have a lot of our own to deal with. Would Belichick really give up another first for a one year rental? Is he going to pay Green top dollar on a new contract? There are lots of questions that need to be answered before this could even be seriously considered.
BTW, the cap is not as tight as you might think. The Pats have something around 100m cap next year. If they want, they can manipulate it to make things work.

"
I will lay out this.
If the Giants trade OBJ for X picks,
Get:
X picks
Getting out OBJ's contract, saving 21 M cap space

Lose:
16M dead space this year
OBJ

Net = X picks-OBJ+5M cap saving.

If a player is traded, the pro-rated signing bonus left is 16M and the guaranteed money is offloaded to the next team.

The 35.5M dead space is for a straight release.
The Giants are not going to be competitive so the dead space ramification is really none.
The Giants just signed OBJ but it is a sunk cost or spilled milk which has no effect on the decision at all IF you are trying to make a RATIONAL decision.

We will see. My guess is that there is a good chance OBJ is dealt.

Last edited: Yesterday at 12:56 AM
"
The Pats will not take three rookies so we will see at least one via trade. Let us keep guessing who will he be. That is the fun part.

What about Tyrell Williams. He had a great year in 2016 during Keenan Allen absence. He is solid every year having Williams and Allen next to him in a very competitive offence. He is 27,big bodied receiver who can create some space. I have no idea what are his financial expectations but he would be a man we are looking for.

Big name WR's don't get traded...yeahhh. Lol. The Bengals are in rebuilding mode. They know they're not competing for a SB this year. I'm sure they'd entertain all offers for Green.

Well, we know Malcolm Brown (I refuse to spell his first name correctly) isn’t going to command that type of deal.

I think we’ll have to pass on Tate for financial reasons, though, not necessarily because we’d lose a third round comp pick.

Unfortunately I agree. I think the reason Tate hasn’t agreed to a deal is because he wants 15 + a season and teams don’t want to over 12. And I’m guessing most won’t go more than 3 years and he would like 4. I can see NE going 3/36/18, but no higher than that.

Big name WR's don't get traded...yeahhh. Lol. The Bengals are in rebuilding mode. They know they're not competing for a SB this year. I'm sure they'd entertain all offers for Green.
He slated to make $12m next year. BB has never paid a player that much at 31 except Tom.

He would need to redo his deal + extension but I'm not sure he'd want to

What about Tyrell Williams. He had a great year in 2016 during Keenan Allen absence. He is solid every year having Williams and Allen next to him in a very competitive offence. He is 27,big bodied receiver who can create some space. I have no idea what are his financial expectations but he would be a man we are looking for.

One trick pony. I wouldn’t touch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes