PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Other than $ why would UFA choose NE over other suitors?

What former players have spoken in that manner?

Huh?

Similar climate as half the NFL.

One single player - that was not a free agent - said that.

One single player - that was not a free agent - said that.
Plus Patricia is neither a coordinator nor position coach.

Take a look at the free agent signings from one year ago. Nearly all signed with teams that missed the playoffs the previous season.

Did that help Carolina sign free agents from 2011 to 2019?

Players and their agents follow the money. Yes, they will speak in oft-repeated clichés at their first press conference about how they always admired and respected (fill in name of player's new team here), but that is nothing more than PR for the fans and local media.

We will see come free agency if players are willing to come here. The first thing they need to do is get a QB. Don’t know if scam is it.

Some do, sure - but come on, more than half the league is way over the cap.
Agree. But the point is money will be the only criteria they would want to come to NE and not fir coaching or culture or learning . I think the absence of brady and the notion that both deshaun watson and stafford do not want to come to NE , definitely diminishes the aura we once had.

It's more a last option or a place where FAs can make the most money. So young FA with potential could possibly go for a lower sum elsewhere when patriots offer is pretty close like say Curtis samuel or Corey Davis. Unless we significantly overpay, we will be second choice or third choice for them.

I think we can get only second rung or third rung FAs unless we are willing to overpay... I wouldn't mind that strategy and try to build a well rounded team and maybe stretch for 1 or 2 defensive playmakers.

They usually go to who offers the most money.

THat's why I don't think Rodgers would work here either and it was silly to say things like RoDgErS WoUlD WiN TeN SuPeRBoWls WiTh BelchIcK
I think playing for belichick might get Rodgers over the top. Aside from an inability to win the big one he checks all the boxes. Certainly belichick would increase his chances to win the big one.

They usually go to who offers the most money.
sounds like a bumper sticker
Lot's of other things are important. Clearly, money is most important. If a 28 year old QB is offered $5M a year more, it is not all clear that money will be most important.

I see Bill doing what he's been doing for the last 20 years and going to the bargain section as the "best" FA's aren't worth signing. But if he strikes out on those, we may have a problem.

Trey Hendrickson is my under the radar guy.

Last edited:
I see Bill doing what he's been doing for the last 20 years and going to the bargain section as the "best" FA's aren't worth signing. But if he strikes out on those, we may have a problem.
I expect us to have a QB in the first 8 days, a week after the season starts. It is quite passible that several QB's can be rejected because they were simply to expensive for what they offered.

The reasons for this is that having a QB will help frame other decisions. Most obviously, a different WR or TE might be chosen depending on choice of QB.

I expect us to have a QB in the first 8 days, a week after the season starts. It is quite passible that several QB's can be rejected because they were simply to expensive for what they offered.

The reasons for this is that having a QB will help frame other decisions. Most obviously, a different WR or TE might be chosen depending on choice of QB.
What QB is available that would help attract other FA's?

We are a game plan team. There are people that genuinely enjoy the study part of football. Self proclaimed video buffs would love it here. We are perfect for solid, not great free agents that aren't concerned with stats. We are also perfect for any player that hates the media. We encourage players to have robotic responses(Marshawn Lynch would be happy here).

Players that like their time here are often defensive guys that like to play off of others and communicate on a high level. It comes in handy when we get fancy and disguise coverages and pass off guys correctly or stunts and run containment from the front 7. Our secondary functioned well when we had multiple guys from Rutgers for a reason(Harmon, Dmac, Logan Ryan). Ryan and Harmon didn't have elite talent but they worked well together.

let's count the ways...NFL free agents love astronomical gas taxes, high real estate prices, schitty roads, potholes, eternal Facemasks, remote learning forever, snow, cold rain, high car insurance, high property tax, the closest major cities closing at 10 or 11 pm and only allowing 25% dining capacity...oh, let us come the ways why anyone would want to play in Foxboro

let's count the ways...NFL free agents love astronomical gas taxes, high real estate prices, schitty roads, potholes, eternal Facemasks, remote learning forever, snow, cold rain, high car insurance, high property tax, the closest major cities closing at 10 or 11 pm and only allowing 25% dining capacity...oh, let us come the ways why anyone would want to play in Foxboro
You do know that other than the snow, that describes Southern California right now, right?

Yeah, they would rather go to cleveland or cincy or detriot or jacksonville or carolina or philly or washington .Those places are far more "fun"

depends on what contract they are on

some always chase the money, no matter what - honestly this seems to be the largest category

vets near the end of their run look to win, or look to play on a one year deal hoping to score one more time

some looking for a long term deal look to win, or look to the best situation for their family

some want the system that suits them

if you don't think coming to this franchise to play for BB still isn't a draw, you haven't been paying attention......

there's a lot of factors.....depends on the position, where guys are in their career, what sort of contract they're looking for......but 'show me the money' is still one of the bigger factors

Money is a good reason for FAs to sign with any team. I know things don't look great in NE right now, but even the Jets were able to sign high caliber free agents over the years because of $$$, why can't we? I mean, does anyone really think Chris Godwin would sign for $5M per year less with another team instead of us because BB doesn't hang out with him outside of work?

BB has reputation as not being a players coaches and players do not speak glowingly of him. Crappy stadium. Cold climate. Popular UFA just said he would go anywhere EXCEPT NE. Matt Patricia is not loved by players. Brady years are over and they are in rebuilding mode.
THe one thing about bringing Cam back is that he is a popular guy amongst players and might help with recruiting UFA.
Feeling like NE is not exactly a preferred destination right now.

And to confirm this, Stafford apparently was willing to go anywhere but the Patriots.

The Patriots discount is about to become the Patriots premium............. as in how much more we pay people than they get in the market to lure them here.

We will see come free agency if players are willing to come here. The first thing they need to do is get a QB. Don’t know if scam is it.
Agree that the Pats need an upgrade at QB.

My point was that historically a team coming off a season where they missed the playoffs has not deterred free agents from signing with that team. Same holds true for the QB position.

It is a line that many on this forum have been repeating recently, but I have found no evidence of that being how free agents have made a determination on which team to sign for in the past.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back