PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Other AFC Teams

My personal experience and observation tells a different story.

That's a sample size of 1, or at least very small, as opposed to a study of thousands of people.

J.D. Power noted that only 12 percent of the fans it surveyed said they watched fewer NFL games last season, with 27 percent of people saying they watched more and 62 percent saying they watched just as much as they had the season before.

That's a sample size of 1, or at least very small, as opposed to a study of thousands of people.

No, it's not a sample size of one. Feel free to browse the web and read people's experiences on the issue.

No, it's not a sample size of one. Feel free to browse the web and read people's experiences on the issue.

Go back and read what I wrote.

IMO, the only team that will be battling us for the #1 seed is whoever wins the AFC South.

AFC North winner ceiling is 11 games, AFC South 10 games, maaaybe 11.

It will then come down to the Raiders/Chiefs/Broncos, who hopefully beat up on each-other.
Did you mean the AFC West? I am thinking KC looks like our biggest opponent so far, and they are going to win any tie breaker with us.

No need. I remember it well.

Haha I'm just messing around since that's what you always say.

But to your point, sure you can find hundreds of anecdotes online about people who've stopped watching because of the protests. But that's all they are, anecdotes. They're not hard data. A JD Power survey that covers thousands of people and shows that more people increased their NFL viewing than decreased it last year is much more relevant than people's stories.

The narrative is that National Anthem protests (and really just Kaepernick until this week) have caused ratings to drop and are hurting the sport. It may have been a reason some people, including you, aren't watching anymore. But overall, they're not having a negative effect despite people's best efforts to make people believe that.

Ratings are only one way to measure who's watching football, and they might not be the best measurement anymore, especially when they are at odds with rigorous studies that the number of people watching isn't decreasing. Again,

J.D. Power noted that only 12 percent of the fans it surveyed said they watched fewer NFL games last season, with 27 percent of people saying they watched more and 62 percent saying they watched just as much as they had the season before.

Haha I'm just messing around since that's what you always say.

But to your point, sure you can find hundreds of anecdotes online about people who've stopped watching because of the protests. But that's all they are, anecdotes. They're not hard data. A JD Power survey that covers thousands of people and shows that more people increased their NFL viewing than decreased it last year is much more relevant than people's stories.

The narrative is that National Anthem protests (and really just Kaepernick until this week) have caused ratings to drop and are hurting the sport. It may have been a reason some people, including you, aren't watching anymore. But overall, they're not having a negative effect despite people's best efforts to make people believe that.

Ratings are only one way to measure who's watching football, and they might not be the best measurement anymore, especially when they are at odds with rigorous studies that the number of people watching isn't decreasing. Again,

Is the irony of you writing that last paragraph, and then posting the J.D. power line, lost on you, or are you just trolling?

Is the irony of you writing that last paragraph, and then posting the J.D. power line, lost on you, or are you just trolling?

I'm not trolling. Spell out the irony for me please. By the way, by ratings I mean Nielson ratings (which is what all the fuss is about), not survey responses.

Yeah except people are lying in that survey. If you look at the raw data, the total number of people watching the NFL hasn't really changed. It's just the amount of time they watch per game that's down. That reflects a distracted society (many more options competing for our attention) much more than a boycott or anything related to protests.

Source:

How Football Stopped Being Fun

More references in that link. People love to say that the protests are leading to ratings being down but that's just wishful, politically motivated thinking.

It's a JD Power survey of close to 10,000 people. They're all lying? Meanwhile, the jersey of the previously anonymous Steelers O-lineman who was the only one on his team to stand for the anthem just jumped to the 6th best selling jersey, right behind Aaron Rodgers. I think they mean it.

IMO, the only team that will be battling us for the #1 seed is whoever wins the AFC South.

AFC North winner ceiling is 11 games, AFC South 10 games, maaaybe 11.

It will then come down to the Raiders/Chiefs/Broncos, who hopefully beat up on each-other.

I might shoot myself if my man Bisquick leads the Clots to that seed.

(no, I haven't lost my feeble mind, just commenting on an ironic outlier)

It's a JD Power survey of close to 10,000 people. They're all lying? Meanwhile, the jersey of the previously anonymous Steelers O-lineman who was the only one on his team to stand for the anthem just jumped to the 6th best selling jersey, right behind Aaron Rodgers. I think they mean it.
Yeah maybe I shouldn't have phrased it that way, they are not all lying. The same survey also said the number of people who are watching more football is greater than the number who are watching less football.

Cross the Steelers and Raiders off the list.

Honestly, the lone O-lineman who was a three-tour Army Ranger and who stood for the anthem, made every other man on that team look like petty cowards.

"Since they couldn’t come to a consensus, Pittsburgh players and coaches were supposed to stay in the locker room, though it was later amended to the team’s tunnel near the Soldier Field turf because of timing.

Regardless, Villanueva has become an overnight hero.

As noted by ESPN’s Darren Rovell, Villanueva’s No. 78 Steelers jersey is currently the sixth-best selling and searched jersey on NFLShop.com." -yahoo sports

And the comments other Steelers are making today make them look sooooooo much worse. Like, honestly, you all looked like idiots. Stop talking and compounding the situation.

“We thought we were all in attention with the same agreement, obviously, ” longtime Steelers star linebacker James Harrison told Penn Live. “But, I guess we weren’t.”

More than anything, the other Steelers seemed confused.

“I don’t want to go into that, but we support our guy Al,” defensive end Cam Heyward said about Villanueva, who did not talk to media after the game. “He feels he had to do it. This guy served our country, and we thank him for it.”

Head coach Mike Tomlin said the team held a players-only meeting Saturday to discuss their options. Whatever they did, Tomlin said, they would do 100 percent. They could not come to an agreement whether to stand, sit or kneel as a team, and so they decided to abstain from the anthem entirely (which was then construed as its own protest, such is the pick-a-side nature of the situation): “I was looking for 100 percent participation, we were gonna be respectful of our football team,” Tomlin told reporters when asked about Villanueva after the Steelers’ 23-17 overtime loss."

Sooooo, Tomlin was compelling the players who wanted to stand to abstain instead?

Absolutely brutal in the seats. Lost interest in drinking beer because of saving room for water :eek:

I saw maybe 4 beers being bought..and about 4 million waters...first time ever

I figured it was hot there. but it looked as if there were more open seats than usual. Could it have been the protests?

Also, how many 4th Q comebacks have Pats fans missed because they left early? There has to be several of them

Our section 302 was completely full in the 2nd...we got in a bit late because the lines for security were brutally slow for some reason and I left the lot at the same time I always do

Carr inspiring confidence

It’s still early but in the AFC I would say after 7 weeks NE, Pittsburgh and KC are the true contenders. Denver and Oakland aren’t going anywhere - both of them are overrated. KC may have peaked early.

Pittsburgh is the team I am a little worried about. They are talented, but they are playing for Art Rooney and you can never underestimate the kind of motivation that provides a team. It’s similar to how the pats rallied around brady in 2014 and 2016. Not only Rooney, but they may be playing for Ben’s last season in the league.

It has been an interesting year. I still think Denver/Raiders are the biggest threats. I think in a one off game they can be very scary. Glad both are struggling.

KC as someone mentioned probably peaked too soon. Alex Smith is having an MVP year. He is not that kind of player. They played their best ball under the circumstances and are still 5-2.

Houston is an interesting team but they just lost too much talent and a rookie QB won't get it done in crunch time.

The Jags are perhaps the most interesting story in the NFL except maybe the Rams. Both were suppose to be bottom feeders. Jags are +73 and Rams are +74 in point differential which are the 2 best marks as of now.

Jags have a good D and running game. Bortles and those WRs don't scare me and they have been the most inconsistent team in the NFL.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back