Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Tom and/or Gronk join the team for OTAs Today?

• both will attend

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Tom yes Gronk no

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Tom no Gronk yes

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • no Tom no Gronk

Votes: 56 77.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My final thought on this matter. You can still be a fan of Brady and think the team will perform well and not like his decision to skip OTAs and think it may hurt the team. Maybe not enough to make a difference, but the team would be better if he showed up. I don't think that is debatable.

—It’s a fact that Brady has talked it up for nearly 20 years about how important this stuff is. So it’s reasonable to wonder why that’s changed.

Probably because, in the end, it's really not that important. At least not when compared to what goes on in MC and TC. He did them because he's a psychopath. He misses those and I'll be right there with you.

Great, Tom has mastered the system. Good for him. What about all the new receivers?

He gets to work with them in MC and TC.

Have they mastered the system?

We'll see. OTAs have never been the determinant of that. The system is too complicated. It's always been the full contact drills on top of when the meat of the game plans get installed which, again, is not in OTAs.

Do they know exactly how Brady likes his routes run?

They'll get that in MC and TC.

Do they have experience catching a ball he throws? Are used to Brady calling the plays?

There is so much that goes on during OTAs other than Brady learning the system. The excuse making is unbelievable.

So teach us. What is going on in OTAs that Brady is going to miss that he doesn't get in MC and TC?

Minicamp is over before it even starts it's so short and TC doesn't allow for the same sorts of opportunities.. The run both 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills this week. Tom can't have it both ways. For years he's talked about the importance of having enough reps throwing to the new guys, now he's blowing off the chance.

Of course it does. They run 7 on 7s and 11 on 11s almost daily in TC. They also scrimmage other squads. And this all happens with opportunities to wear full pads and hit... something he doesn't get in OTAs. Look at the pics that are now being published. They're glorified workouts that are more important for the rooks and the new guys so they get to see how Belichick runs his team. Brady's not missing anything he hasn't covered before.

Saw some pics, seems like there is an Edelman sighting and a Mitchell sighting :). Good news those guys are out there. Also a Derek Rivers sighting:)

Mitchell had a torn ACL last year? Is that not news?

Probably because, in the end, it's really not that important. At least not when compared to what goes on in MC and TC. He did them because he's a psychopath. He misses those and I'll be right there with you.

He gets to work with them in MC and TC.

We'll see. OTAs have never been the determinant of that. The system is too complicated. It's always been the full contact drills on top of when the meat of the game plans get installed which, again, is not in OTAs.

So teach us. What is going on in OTAs that Brady is going to miss that he doesn't get in MC and TC?

You should just read what Brady say's about it. He tells you. Why do you think he is lying about it? Why do you think Belichick is lying about the importance of OTAs?

You continue to ask that question, when it has been answered a number of times already. Why can't you accept the answer?

Just because Brady and the other plays get "x" in TC and MC doesn't mean that more of it won't serve them better.

Saw some pics, seems like there is an Edelman sighting and a Mitchell sighting :). Good news those guys are out there. Also a Derek Rivers sighting:)

I hate how that knee is so fragile.

Yeah, so ? I’m excited he’s out there, sue me.
I misread it. Edelman and Rivers has the ACLs. Unfortunately Mitch’s problem seems chronic.

Guys ,lets all try to calm down a bit. Sure, more practice is always better than less practice. Nobody knows what going on with TB. It could be that he just wants to rest his body more or that he is sending a message or whatever. Sure, I would like him there working with Matthews, Patterson and Britt as much as possible but he is not there right now...whatever.

One thing I want to mention. TB is one of the most competitive athletes of all time and wants to win more than anyone. Would this guy intentionally stay away from practice if he thought it would really hurt his chances to field a winning team. He does not seem like a cut of his nose... type of person.

This guy wants to win. If his attitude was "F it, I am gonna phone it in and just show up whenever", then why not just retire now?

You should just read what Brady say's about it. He tells you. Why do you think he is lying about it? Why do you think Belichick is lying about the importance of OTAs?

There's an order of importance. For the new guys, OTAs are more important. For guys that have been in the system for 18 years and are 41 years old? Not so much. Furthermore, since we've now come to the determination, thread-wide, that Brady is not missing anything in OTAs (you all can thank me later) that he won't get in MC and TC, the OTAs in his case just simply aren't that important.

You continue to ask that question, when it has been answered a number of times already. Why can't you accept the answer?

It really hasn't. Nobody in this thread has given me anything that Brady will miss in OTAs that he won't also get out of MC and TC.

Just because Brady and the other plays get "x" in TC and MC doesn't mean that more of it won't serve them better.

More of what? There is no contact. This is a throwing and catching session which Brady can, and has routinely, done on his own time with other receivers. This includes during TC. The important part for him is when the meat of the game plans gets installed and the players are either in shells or full pads so that the DBs on the other side of the ball can jam the receivers. That's when timing is developed, route-running is perfected, and the offense is fully absorbed for the newer guys.

From Curran's piece today:

All the other ambiguous issues related to atmosphere, fun and respect are quite clearly part of it as well.

After Deflategate, a four-game suspension, an upstart over his shoulder, a fifth Super Bowl win, an upstart still over his shoulder despite the Super Bowl win, a tug-of-war over his trainer and a Super Bowl loss that featured an inexplicable benching, the bill came due. And here we are.

Would we be here writing this if Garoppolo had been franchised or agreed to a bridge deal and was in Foxboro taking all the reps? Probably not. Brady’s got leverage and he’s using it. Which, again, is the complete opposite of what he’s outwardly done for 18 seasons.
Based on this, some will suppose that Brady’s radically changed. Others will allege that it was a fable all along. And the rest will applaud him for standing up to Belichick.

Which brings us to the coach.

How will Brady’s decision to withholding services change things? Does Belichick, after some introspection, yield on some things? And which things deserve yielding? Tone? Trainer? Contract?

Meanwhile, does this very public decision by both Brady and Gronk to go their own way chip away at Belichick’s authority? Or have the potential to.

Curran: Uncharted territory - Tom staying away because he's Brady

Are the rookies there? Can't remember if OTAs are veteran only. Still gotta know what those jersey numbers are...

Guys ,lets all try to calm down a bit. Sure, more practice is always better than less practice. Nobody knows what going on with TB. It could be that he just wants to rest his body more or that he is sending a message or whatever. Sure, I would like him there working with Matthews, Patterson and Britt as much as possible but he is not there right now...whatever.

One thing I want to mention. TB is one of the most competitive athletes of all time and wants to win more than anyone. Would this guy intentionally stay away from practice if he thought it would really hurt his chances to field a winning team. He does not seem like a cut of his nose... type of person.

This guy wants to win. If his attitude was "F it, I am gonna phone it in and just show up whenever", then why not just retire now?

Bingo.

He is balancing his family with football. As a husband and father, I totally agree with his decision. As a football fan, I don't.

Of course it does. They run 7 on 7s and 11 on 11s almost daily in TC. They also scrimmage other squads. And this all happens with opportunities to wear full pads and hit... something he doesn't get in OTAs. Look at the pics that are now being published. They're glorified workouts that are more important for the rooks and the new guys so they get to see how Belichick runs his team. Brady's not missing anything he hasn't covered before.

It's not for his benefit. So, in October when Matthews is frozen out because he isn't in Brady's 'circle of trust', that's fine? (Doesn't have to be Matthews, insert name of choice)
And what you say about TC is true, but you also know that guys lower on the depth chart get fewer reps in TC. Now is the time they could build on to try and change that.

As has been said, he can't have it both ways. For nearly 20 years he's maintained it's vital to have as many reps throwing to guys, especially the news ones, as possible. Now, suddeny it isn't.

If Rodgers blew off OTAs and Packers fans were trying to justify why they didn't matter, there's be a 10-page thread making fun of how dysfunctional their team is and how Rodgers' lack of work ethic is why he isn't as good as Brady. Now Brady is blowing stuff off and suddenly all that stuff about "team-building starting back in the spring" and Brady being fanatical and BB demanding participation doesn't matter. Cool.

It's not for his benefit. So, in October when Matthews is frozen out because he isn't in Brady's 'circle of trust', that's fine? (Doesn't have to be Matthews, insert name of choice)

You're now using a hypothetical in order to condemn Brady for not attending. Brady's attendance at OTAs has never guaranteed success for a new receiver in the offense. However, we have seen plenty of instances in which players that have held out have skipped OTAs, come back during the MC and/or TC portions, and went on to have phenomenal years. Unless you think that Brady is no longer committed to winning, the latter is what we should expect will happen.

And what you say about TC is true, but you also know that guys lower on the depth chart get fewer reps in TC. Now is the time they could build on to try and change that.

The guys lower on the depth chart get more reps in TC than they do in the regular season unless there's a rash of injuries at their position.

As has been said, he can't have it both ways. For nearly 20 years he's maintained it's vital to have as many reps throwing to guys, especially the news ones, as possible. Now, suddeny it isn't.

He's also suddenly 41, has been through 17 of these, and is coming off of a very long season where he absorbed a high amount of hits. He's not missing anything he won't be getting in a couple of months... in spades.

I mean, that's sort of the whole point of concern--Brady has changed and thinks he doesn't need to be there. I guess, as a fan, your argument is that Brady knows more than Bill Belichick, he who has coached four decades and probably would much, much rather prefer Brady be there, right? And Brady has exposed Belichick's lack of coaching acumen for deciding OTAs are a waste of time. OK great, brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes