PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Vikings swapping picks with Falcons due to tampering?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
This is interesting and would certainly change the landscape a bit if the Vikings were to move up to #8:

and

Last edited:
This is interesting and would certainly change the landscape a bit if the Vikings were to move up to #8:

and

Never happening.

8 & 23 much more attractive than 11 & 23

Make It So Star Trek GIF

Never happening.
Yeah, they pretty much gave up on switching picks for tampering when the Jets tampered with Revis and the NFL looked the other way. If they punish the Falcons, it'll be a slap on the wrist.

Yeah, they pretty much gave up on switching picks for tampering when the Jets tampered with Revis and the NFL looked the other way. If they punish the Falcons, it'll be a slap on the wrist.

not sure if this is entirely true. last year the eagles and cardinals swapped picks as punishment for tampering with Gannon.

But they did ding the Dolphins with a loss of a first rounder when Brady showed up on Ross's boat in 2019.

The weird thing about this is that the Vikings have incentive to remove their tampering complaint in this trade and so do the Falcons, because while the Phins lost their 1st rounder, the Patriots received nothing.

Minnesota: "We'll shut up about the tampering stuff if you just move down 4 slots with us, because the Pats said pick 11 is too low, but pick 8 is pretty good."

not sure if this is entirely true. last year the eagles and cardinals swapped picks as punishment for tampering with Gannon.

You're right, but those were third round picks. That's a bit different than pick 8 and 11.

According to the "outdated" charts - value from pick #8 (1400 pts) to pick #11 ( 1250 pts) is 150 points, or pick 87/88, end of third round.

Minnesota: "We'll shut up about the tampering stuff if you just move down 4 slots with us, because the Pats said pick 11 is too low, but pick 8 is pretty good."
Money Yolo GIF

Reactions: Ian
Here’s my issue:

We still can’t come out of this draft without a QB, IMO. If the staff thinks 5th/6th option guys are not far off from the like of Maye and McCarthy, then you can afford to be flexible here.

But if the top 4 guys are seen by yourself as head and shoulders about Nix/Penix.. moving down to 8 remains a risk to lose out on one of those 4.

I’m actually not as concerned with Denver trading up due to their lack of talent/capital to begin with. But the Giants making a move definitely concerns me.

According to the "outdated" charts - value from pick #8 (1400 pts) to pick #11 ( 1250 pts) is 150 points, or pick 87/88, end of third round.
That's the truth, too. Outdated. They are worth whatever someone will pay to get the 3rd pick and their franchise QB.

Here’s my issue:

We still can’t come out of this draft without a QB, IMO. If the staff thinks 5th/6th option guys are not far off from the like of Maye and McCarthy, then you can afford to be flexible here.

But if the top 4 guys are seen by yourself as head and shoulders about Nix/Penix.. moving down to 8 remains a risk to lose out on one of those 4.

I’m actually not as concerned with Denver trading up due to their lack of talent/capital to begin with. But the Giants making a move definitely concerns me.
Depends on their QB evaluations, yeah. If they really like Penix Jr or Nix, it's feasible that they could move down to 8 and get either one of the top WRs (Nabers or Odunze) or top tackles, then move up from 23 to the teens to take the QB that they like. Fill two big needs with immediate starters and one blue-chip talent, and still likely have pick 34 in your pocket for whichever need you didn't yet hit.

Worth noting though, if they did take Penix, left tackle becomes less of a problem because he's a lefty. So your right tackle is now your blindside protector instead, and Onwenu is here for a few years to lock that down. Okorafor may be serviceable at left tackle if he's not your blindside protector and instead playing the role the right tackle would typically play.

I could see something like - trade with Minn. for pick 8 + 23 + first rounder in 2025 + 4th rounder in 2024 (pick 108). At pick 8, draft Rome Odunze. Trade up from pick 23 to pick 16 with Seattle in exchange for pick 68 and draft Michael Penix Jr. At pick 34, take a tackle like Patrick Paul. You'd still have picks 103, 108, 137, 180, 193, and 231, and an extra first rounder next year.

Last edited:
Depends on their QB evaluations, yeah. If they really like Penix Jr or Nix, it's feasible that they could move down to 8 and get either one of the top WRs (Nabers or Odunze) or top tackles, then move up from 23 to the teens to take the QB that they like. Fill two big needs with immediate starters and one blue-chip talent, and still likely have pick 34 in your pocket for whichever need you didn't yet hit.

Worth noting though, if they did take Penix, left tackle becomes less of a problem because he's a lefty. So your right tackle is now your blindside protector instead, and Onwenu is here for a few years to lock that down. Okorafor may be serviceable at left tackle if he's not your blindside protector and instead playing the role the right tackle would typically play.
Exactly. For me I think rolling with Penix or Nix feels like a risky proposition. Both aging rookies with certain limitations.

I still am of the opinion to either stay at 3, or do some maneuvering to trade down with Minnesota, then trade back up into the top 5-6 to make sure we land one of the top 4 guys. Minnesota moving to 8 could be help that become more feasible.

A perfect scenario is to trade down to that 8 spot, snag Minnesotas 1’s this year and in 25, then taking that 25 1 from Minnesota (or this years 2) in order to move back up into the top 5 and still landing the QB.

Yeah, the Penix righty/lefty thing really makes things a lot more interesting.

Here's a thing about Penix. They have to LOVE him to make that decision, because they'd get crucified by the local media and fans, and laughed at by the national media. Is Kraft ok with that? Do Elliot and the Wolf want to stake their futures on that? The safer play is take Maye or Daniels.

8 & 23 much more attractive than 11 & 23

Make It So Star Trek GIF
I was thinking the exact same thing. If I take off my Pats fan hat, the penalty would be excessive, but the options at 8 would likely be much more desirable than 11.

Here’s my issue:

Yeah, the Giants are in an odd spot.

Daboll is probably on the hot seat as HC (as is GM Joe Schoen), regressing from 9-7-1 and a wild card to 6-11 and the league's sixth worst record.

Those two are responsible for the Giants signing Daniel Jones to a four-year $160 million contract extension in 2023. Do they stick with Jones, since they are the ones that re-signed him to a huge deal? Give him more support (OT or WR at #6)? Would trading up for a QB be admitting they made a huge personnel mistake - and be setting themselves up to be fired?

They have to keep Jones this year (he has $36 million guaranteed), but his contract has no guarantees beyond that. If they cut Jones in 2025 they take on $22m of dead money, but also give themselves $19m in cap savings.

Yeah, the Penix righty/lefty thing really makes things a lot more interesting.

Here's a thing about Penix. They have to LOVE him to make that decision, because they'd get crucified by the local media and fans, and laughed at by the national media. Is Kraft ok with that? Do Elliot and the Wolf want to stake their futures on that? The safer play is take Maye or Daniels.
I dunno, I don't think they'd be crucified for taking Penix in the teens. He's a good quarterback. Is he going to be top 5 in the league? Probably not, but he can likely be top 15 while still letting them get a potentially game-breaking WR at the same time that defenses have to gameplan around. If he stays healthy he will be a good player and his left-handed play makes their left tackle problem a much smaller issue. I don't really feel like it's overdrafting or anything because he has the talent. I'm sure some media will blast them for not taking one of the top 3 guys regardless though.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back