PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Trey Lance Carted off with an air cast on his leg

And that is why you don't purposely use your qb as a running back. Especially ones with lanky builds.

What will be worse is if they make the playoffs again with Jimmy G and he'll be a FA next year. They will be forced to start Trey Lance again next year.

What will be worse is if they make the playoffs again with Jimmy G and he'll be a FA next year. They will be forced to start Trey Lance again next year.

I think no matter how well Jimmy G does this year, they will have to go with Lance next year. You don't spend three first round picks on a QB and give up on him after playing a game and a half.

I think no matter how well Jimmy G does this year, they will have to go with Lance next year. You don't spend three first round picks on a QB and give up on him after playing a game and a half.
Now if they won a Super Bowl this year, it would be a bad look letting Jimmy walk.

wrong thread

I don’t understand how the Trey Lance move hasn’t been universally reviled even before this injury. It seems like a high risk, low reward move except for the tiny possibility that Lance is immediately a superstar.
they thought he’d be another mahomes (similar physical build)

If Lance is lost for the season, it might save Shanahan's and John Lynch. If he was a disaster this year, it is most likely both will be gone. If Jimmy G leads them deep into the playoffs, it will be hard to fire them.
Don't forget, Jimmy's done after this season. So let's say they finish strong and Jimmy does lead them deep into the postseason and he walks. Instead, their massive investment is possibly dealing with an injury that could hamper the remainder of his career and could possibly even end it (he could be Dak, or he could be Alex Smith ... we don't know yet). Worse yet, they have no draft capital to deal with it. They botched this bad enough that there should be repercussions.

I think it's great. They created this situation, and Jimmy was way too nice of a guy where he should be starting elsewhere as it is. Now he just needs to take advantage and then make sure he doesn't become Nick Foles and has similar success elsewhere when he does eventually walk.

Sorry - I'm a little salty. The press conferences and comments from Shanahan and how they handled it just made me dislike how it played out. I hope Lance recovers, but I won't be rooting for them once Garoppolo is gone.

Last edited:
They beat Seattle soundly today 27-7

Lance wasn’t playing well and was clearly forced to start to justify the huge investment they made. This isn’t looking good and might go down as one of the biggest bust in recent years.

Lance wasn’t playing well and was clearly forced to start to justify the huge investment they made. This isn’t looking good and might go down as one of the biggest bust in recent years.
and not really a surprise to most (most had them drafting Jones or Fields)

Reactions: Ian
A brand new QB having their entire second year of development now stuck rehabbing a brutal ankle injury is going to set him back possibly beyond repair. Are there any good comparisons to a QB sitting his entire rookie year then getting popped with injury right at the start of his second?

What a wonderful draft pick investment by the 49ers.

"The 49ers have traded up from the 12th overall pick to the third overall in a deal with the Miami Dolphins, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday. Miami receives the 12th overall selection from San Francisco, a third-round pick and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023, per Rapoport." - Source: 49ers acquire No. 3 overall pick from Dolphins; Miami gets No. 12 pick, two future firsts.

PS Keep in mind that the Dolphins flipped some of those assets into acquiring stud WR Jaylen Waddle. So that's a little extra salt to rub into the 49er's wounds.
I have no real problem with what MIA traded for the #3 pick in the 2021 draft.

A franchise QB is worth the picks. The issue was and is MIA's choice of QB. Maybe #3 was worth Jones or Fields. In hindsight (and for many at the time), it seemed more reasonable for MIA to trade to somewhere between 6 and 9, 3 seemed unnecessary, especially if the choice was Lance. Was anyone thinking that Lance wouldn't be available at say 10?

So this has to qualify as the most ironic incident in NFL history right?

49ers trade 3 1st round picks to draft a QB, because their current franchise QB is too fragile, and then he gets lost for the season after less than 2 games.

For some reason everyone loves moving up, and hates moving down, in the draft.
We know one guy who likes to move down in the draft...

Indeed, his current deal has a "no franchise tag" clause in it, so he's free to go wherever.

All he had to do is play decently and he's gonna make a lot of coin next year.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back