PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tag Madness begins, Phins franchise Landry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol 16 million...Can somebody tell me why players hate the tag so much?

I get that it limits where they go, but they often get paid way higher than they ever would when they’re on it!

The Dolphins GM will need something strong this morning to relieve his hangover. How many body shots do you think he took last night?

I am going with the idea Tanneboob was instructed to do this by Stephen Ross. It smells too much like a marketing manuever vs a wise GM move.

Unless of course, again, they have a deal pending with another team who wants to do a long term deal around 10-12 mil per over 4 years and give up maybe a 3rd rder or something like that.

Something tells me Miami is not this smart, however.

Did you see Colbert's stupid "deadline" passed for LeVeon Bell. I knew that would happen. Bell has the leverage and that deadline gave him more leverage.

These teams are so stupid. They should have quietly dealt him last offseason and dipped into the draft.

Ben, Brown and now Bell, will further dismantle their roster.

I get that it limits where they go, but they often get paid way higher than they ever would when they’re on it!

It's less guaranteed money than what the market is bearing. If Landry gets concussions or blows out an ACL late in the year, his value plummets, and his, say, 30 million guaranteed, is MORE than 16 mil.

I fully realize this is hard language for us to understand. I would take my 16 mil, and then run to a contender the next year, hope to win a SB, and then retire with my head intact.

It's less guaranteed money than what the market is bearing. If Landry gets concussions or blows out an ACL late in the year, his value plummets, and his, say, 30 million guaranteed, is MORE than 16 mil.

I fully realize this is hard language for us to understand. I would take my 16 mil, and then run to a contender the next year, hope to win a SB, and then retire with my head intact.

I dont know how often this needs to be mentioned but here we go again. You can take out insurance against injuries.

Mayo and Curran have been through in in the case of Butler. According to Mayo around 200k would have insured Butler for about 20-25m in case of catastrophic injury with all of that being tax-free. Play your ass off without any injury concerns on your mind and then cash out as UFA next year.

Last edited:
I dont know how often this needs to be mentioned but here we go again. You can take out insurance against injuries.

Mayo and Curran have been through in in the case of Butler. According to Mayo around 200k would have insured Butler for about 20-25m in case of catastrophic injury with all of that being tax-free. Play your ass off without any injury concerns on your mind and then cash out as UFA next year.

OK? I am not disputing this, so I have no idea why you chose to respond to me.

My point is simple, at the end of the day, I don't want players in NE that are like what Landry is doing.

If his price was more reasonable to stay with Miami, a long term deal would have been struck by now.

It's the GM's job to figure out if the number they need, will work. If it doesn't, they need to quietly deal the player, get a pick and hope to find the next Landry in the draft.

It's so simple but teams are lazy, don't want to do the "work", and under-estimate how just 1 bad contract can affect the quality of the entire team.

That's why when a player here, doesn't work out contractually, it's not as big of an impact.

Like the Branch deal? Is it good he's quitting and we're moving on? Nope. Is it a problem for our cap? Nope.

BB ALWAYS has leverage because he knows how important it is. Meanwhile, the Jets, Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers, Broncos, etc, teams that are supposed to be giving us a run for the money, don't get this yet.

It's absolutely comical.

It's why Butler was so wrong. Jon Jones will probably slip into the slot next year and play well for the Pats.

That helps that BB is the GM and that him and Caserio and if reports are true McDaniels will all be joined at the hip.
They will know the pulse the attitude of the player long term plans will the player take a discount will he be a problem in the locker room when he's not paid.
Will his play slip becuase he feels comfortable from guaranteed money.
It's such a interesting formula and concept and circumstances change and their are so many mitigating factors to build a team especially with the cap.
It's incredibly interesting to me.
BB likes to keep us on our Toes by backing the brink truck up to Gilmore who is lights out when he's on.
He came on second half of the season and was like a blanket.

That helps that BB is the GM and that him and Caserio and if reports are true McDaniels will all be joined at the hip.
They will know the pulse the attitude of the player long term plans will the player take a discount will he be a problem in the locker room when he's not paid.
Will his play slip becuase he feels comfortable from guaranteed money.
It's such a interesting formula and concept and circumstances change and their are so many mitigating factors to build a team especially with the cap.
It's incredibly interesting to me.
BB likes to keep us on our Toes by backing the brink truck up to Gilmore who is lights out when he's on.
He came on second half of the season and was like a blanket.

I agree. I was fearing he worst and a mass exodus. Even Jerry Schlupinski staying and likely will be in on the QB prospect they're looking for.

I feel much better now knowing Caserio is the heir apparent, maybe McDaniels, etc.

Also, Flores being in house is big, too. I don't think there will be much drop off.

I agree. I was fearing he worst and a mass exodus. Even Jerry Schlupinski staying and likely will be in on the QB prospect they're looking for.

I feel much better now knowing Caserio is the heir apparent, maybe McDaniels, etc.

Also, Flores being in house is big, too. I don't think there will be much drop off.
I was doom and gloom days after the SB, predicting 9-7 in 2018. With Landry getting tagged, and the staff intact, I'd like to re-visit my feelings on that.

The requirements to actually collect on a policy are probably pretty stringent, though. If Landry got hurt on the franchise tag and it hurt his earning potential but he could still play, he'd probably end up having paid for a policy that does nothing for him while also seeing his earning potential diminish as well. Also doesn't do anything for him if his play falls off a cliff next year, either.

Tag and Trade to San Fran makes sense for Miami.
If they get a Second or 3rd and 4th.
If he plays the year on the Tag it's a real head scratcher.

It doesn't make any sense for SF though.

It doesn't make any sense for SF though.

let us just say landry, with leverage, wants “andre johnson money”, which imo, this is the kind of me-first player that he is, landry will be asking for 12-14 mil for a 4 year deal. something like that...maybe 35 of it gauranteed. if some team unloads a 3rd rder for that? they will be a dumb team that will remain bad even with “cap space”.

that guy is worth no more than what edelman makes

We should tag Jimmy G

nope.

i am convinced the lack of bidders for jimmyg means there was collusion against the pats to not give them extra draft picks to stick to bb.

lynch is a new gm and probably wasn’t even in on the collusion.

how on god’s green earth were the skins, arizona, bears and giants not in on the jimmyg sweepstakes?

it makes no sense, especially arizona and chicago

once chicago took trubisky arizona and sf should have been competing for jimmyg around halloween. my darkhorse was no’s , where they could walk from brees and elway would have tried to sign brees a la manning in 2013.

nope.

i am convinced the lack of bidders for jimmyg means there was collusion against the pats to not give them extra draft picks to stick to bb.

how on god’s green earth were the skins, arizona, bears and giants not in on the jimmyg sweepstakes?

once chicago took trubisky arizona and sf should have been competing for jimmyg around halloween. my darkhorse was no’s , where they could walk from brees and elway would have tried to sign brees a la manning in 2013.

I agree. The other owners hated Belichick so much that they all got together and they decided that none of them would trade a good draft pick for a potential franchise-savior QB. Their hate for us was just too strong that they would rather be mediocre for years than to give us a first round draft pick. I believe that is the most reasonable explanation for why we didn't get more than a high 2nd for Jimmy G. Their fatal flaw was not including Lynch in their scheme.

nope.

Jack-Nicholson-Facepalm.gif

Right, because they would all rather be 5-11 than get a franchise QB.

The requirements to actually collect on a policy are probably pretty stringent, though. If Landry got hurt on the franchise tag and it hurt his earning potential but he could still play, he'd probably end up having paid for a policy that does nothing for him while also seeing his earning potential diminish as well. Also doesn't do anything for him if his play falls off a cliff next year, either.

Talking serious injuries. Most injuries that dont fall into the category of career threatening rarely matter overall in terms of contracts. Either way there are enough ways to minimize financial risk to make one year deals / tags work.

It prevents them from leveraging great seasons into multiyear deals and adds another year of risk at a 1 year deal basis before they can ink their megadeals and start coasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back