PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Sony Michel waived by Rams

That is not what you are arguing.

Your position is Sony sucked.

Perspective...

He was the leading rusher for 2 SB champions and two different QBs.

We don't win it in 18 without him and you can argue the same for the Lambs last year.

He was a late 1st rd pick. Not a top 10 one.

Anybody who expected those knees to have a long career is a fool.

His career has been a successful one. Period.
He was lucky he was on those teams. Just about any RB would have done that based on his production. He was absolutely a bust. A 1st round RB should be a regular pro bowler.

One bit of data:
If you consider a sample size of the 2011 NFL draft and the previous 9 drafts so 10 total drafts, Of the 319 first-round picks taken in the last 10 years
— 98 made at least one Pro Bowl (31 percent)
— 55 made multiple Pro Bowls (17 percent)

So based on this limited sample, the odds are at least 69% against the 1st rounder pick being a Pro Bowl player
Source: What percent of NFL 1st round draft choices become All-Pro players?

Considering each Pro Bowl has 88 players in it each and every year, it's hard for people to rationalize that ~70% of first rounders would not end up on a Pro Bowl team, but that's what this data says.

We don't win the SB against ATL without him.

Great draft pick, even if it was for only one year. He'll always stick out in my mind.

Michel against the Rams was fundamental too. The TD and a 1st down against the wall at the end.

Michel against the Rams was fundamental too. The TD and a 1st down against the wall at the end.
He got 6 tds that postseason (two against the Chiefs in that crazy game). He was key that whole postseason run, and that first down at the end of the SB was pretty clutch to seal the deal.

People here have really selective memories. Wow.

He was lucky he was on those teams. Just about any RB would have done that based on his production. He was absolutely a bust. A 1st round RB should be a regular pro bowler.
This. We have had a ton of JAG RBs who were as good as Michel and we didn't even need to draft. Traded Jeff Demps, who I don't know if he ever even played an NFL snap, for Lagarette Blount. Got Benjarvus Green-Ellis as an undrafted free agent. Stevan Ridley was a mid round pick. Dion Lewis came in on a futures contract. Hell even Sammy Morris we signed for cheap. All of those guys were just as good or better than Michel. For some reason people seem to think Michel did something magical in 2018 when it isn't the case. He took what was there and ran efficiently and I will never take that away from him but to say that he did anything special is overstating things. Sony was an average back and never should have been drafted in the first round.

Mitchell was not a bust for a 4th rounder. Best WR we drafted since Edelman to boot!
They picked turnstile Wynn before him.

2 Georgia busts in the 1st round in the same draft. Another Georgia bust was Malcom Mitchell.
Malcom Mitchell wasn't a bust, he sustained a career ending injury. There is a very good chance that without Mitchell's 6 catches for 70 yards - and without Mitchell's clutch conversion on 3rd and 11 while down 28-12 in the 4th - the Atlanta Falcons are the Super Bowl 51 champions. If that ain't worth a 4th round pick, what is?

As for Sony, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. He was thoroughly unimpressive as a starter here, but he was clutch when we needed clutch. Some can argue that any average back could produce behind the 2018 offensive line + Gronk/Allen/Devlin, but Michel's stat line through those playoffs was beastly. He deserves some credit for that. He also played behind a sive of an offensive line, as part of a dysfunctional pass offense in 2019. He was playing very well in a part time role in 2020 before getting hurt.

While a 1st round RB "should" be pro bowler, the same could be said of any player taken in round 1. See the link below...out of 50 1st round RBs taken this century, only about 10 were consistently productive for even a four year stretch. Most were statistically productive for a few years then flamed out, or were viewed as disappointments before producing a couple of decent late career seasons. A solid 75% of these players would be considered disappointments for the teams that drafted them. Compared with this sample, Michel is below average, but far from the bottom.

1st round RBs of past 20 years

Lots of "If you ain't first you're last" mentality in here.
And even if you come in first you're still last in the case of Michel.

Mitchell could be a solid edition for a team that needs a running back We do not need another running back. That's like the last position we should even talk about

While a 1st round RB "should" be pro bowler, the same could be said of any player taken in round 1.
I just posted a data set showing only 30% of 1st round picks ever play in a Pro Bowl... Therefore, 70% do not... Not hard to imagine the percentage is worse for #31 instead of #1-#10...

Again we see who knows anything about football.

He was lucky he was on those teams. Just about any RB would have done that based on his production.
I dont know about "any" but i agree with this more than not. He did have a good playoff run though. Definition if solid. Him and Wynn didnt work out long term, obviously but you could plug them in right away when healthy.
He was absolutely a bust.
Disagree with this though. He wasnt a bust, definitely not 1st RD worthy but he was solid.

Speaking to the points above. Much of Sony's appeal to Bill was his pass pro which was clutch in numerous situations.
A 1st round RB should be a regular pro bowler.
Everyone knows how I feel. Unless they're special, wait. The big problem I have is the money you pay them, 2nd contract.

Like I said on draft night. Wouldn't have been my pick but I understand it and thought he was very solid most of the time here.

sad, but Sony was never a game changer. Seemed to lose his vision the 2nd year and slam into the line for ~1yd every time.
Sounds like a perfect fit as the first down RB for the MP game plan. Sign the beast!

I still can't figure out after watching Michel and Chubb on tape how BB you went with Michel. Chubb was clearly superior.

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

Are you confusing Malcolm Mitchell and Sony Michel? Malcolm Mitchell was clutch against Atlanta, Sony against the Rams.

I still can't figure out after watching Michel and Chubb on tape how BB you went with Michel. Chubb was clearly superior.

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN
You might want to look at Chubb's scouting reports and medicals coming out of UofG. They weren't better than Sony's.

There is a reason EVERY team in the NFL passed on Chubb in the 1st round.

That is why the draft is a dice roll on every player drafted after Rd1-15th pick

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back