PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Sean Payton "stepping away"

So this is interesting.

This article says he agreed to a 5 year deal which runs through the 2026 season.

We just completed the 2021 season (almost) so the new 5 deal deal would have gone into effect next year....?

So did he never sign the extension and is a FA?

I do think he might want a break but no question he has cap problems and no long-term answer at QB.

Best decision is to wash his hands of it all and start new somewhere else in 2023.

at some point, his verified contract terms will hit the web... I thought he had three years left, but can't find where i read it... otherwise I would have linked it...

And those final deals the saints sent Brees' way really hurt that team... left them financially crippled tbh, and its still hitting their cap in 2022 for 11.5m... the talent drain out of there due to economics was brutal... look at the 2021 dead money list on otc, its got 45 players on it... eek... not all off season or cap cuts, but damn... No real super stars, but good, quality depth...

Wow didn’t see that coming

let’s be honest…SF is a hot team right now that probably should have lost to GB. The Rams are really good but if Payton goes to Dallas they become the NFC favorites
Let's be honest that the 49ers beat the Packers in Green Bay and the Rams are loaded. Lowww-ded. The fact you'd instantly make Dallas the favorite is ludicrous to me. You seem to be hung up on making a hawt take. Here's one: Payton has the same amount of rings as Mike McCarthy.

This is a "I can't handle a rebuild and replacing Brees, I need an already set team with a QB" move

Don't want to ever hear anyone put this guy on Bill's level.
Yeah, no. He's not. He's a good coach but he's not Bill.

This is a "I can't handle a rebuild and replacing Brees, I need an already set team with a QB" move

He isn't but hes a pretty good coach. If he replaced Bill i'd be perfectly fine w/ it.

Let's be honest that the 49ers beat the Packers in Green Bay and the Rams are loaded. Lowww-ded. The fact you'd instantly make Dallas the favorite is ludicrous to me. You seem to be hung up on making a hawt take. Here's one: Payton has the same amount of rings as Mike McCarthy.

Calm down.

Who are the best teams in the NFC heading into next season?

Tampa Bay - likely going to lose Brady, and even if he stays, they have a lot of free agents to sign.

SF - likely going to trade Jimmy G, so they are left with a young Trey Lance, who may or may not be good. They will likely take a step back until Lance learns to run that offense.

Rams - I acknowledged they are good. But if they lose on Sunday, what does it tell you about them? They've lost twice to SF this season already.

GB - likely going to lose Rodgers, and will likely take a big step back with Jordan Love

Dallas - still a very talented team but they are in need of a good coach to get them over the top. If Payton comes in, they are going to be a lot better at eliminating penalties and playing situational football. He's one of the top 2-3 coaches in the league. Dallas would be a top 1-2 team in the NFC.

Calm down.

Who are the best teams in the NFC heading into next season?

Tampa Bay - likely going to lose Brady, and even if he stays, they have a lot of free agents to sign.

SF - likely going to trade Jimmy G, so they are left with a young Trey Lance, who may or may not be good. They will likely take a step back until Lance learns to run that offense.

Rams - I acknowledged they are good. But if they lose on Sunday, what does it tell you about them?

GB - likely going to lose Rodgers, and will likely take a big step back with Jordan Love

Dallas - still a very talented team but they are in need of a good coach to get them over the top. If Payton comes in, they are going to be a lot better at eliminating penalties and playing situational football. He's one of the top 2-3 coaches in the league. Dallas would be a top 1-2 team in the NFC.
Lot's of if's and maybes. I'll give you that Payton is an upgrade over McCarthy, but let's not delude ourselves to thinking he's the second coming of Bill Walsh or some chit. Dallas' biggest problem is sitting in the owner box, anyway. That's not about to change.

at some point, his verified contract terms will hit the web... I thought he had three years left, but can't find where i read it... otherwise I would have linked it...

And those final deals the saints sent Brees' way really hurt that team... left them financially crippled tbh, and its still hitting their cap in 2022 for 11.5m... the talent drain out of there due to economics was brutal... look at the 2021 dead money list on otc, its got 45 players on it... eek... not all off season or cap cuts, but damn... No real super stars, but good, quality depth...
Interesting points.

Here's Sportrac's report of the top 10 2021 dead cap list. DET took the hit from trading Stafford, PHL traded Wentz. In some way NO doesn't look that bad, lol!

1643139699213.png

Belichick post-Brady (2020-2021)
17-17 Record (.500)
1 Playoff appearance (Wild Card)
0 Playoff wins

Payton post-Brees (2020-2021)
22-13 record (.628)
1 Playoff appearance (Division Title)
1 Playoff win

Seems like a weird reason to turn this into a Bill vs Payton thing.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back