PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Russell Wilson & Seahawks relationship deteriorating

I looked it up because I was curious. Wilson really hasn't done much since his super bowl loss. A pretty massive under performance for all the talk about him. He has yet to reach the NFCCG since losing to the Patriots. He's been to the playoffs 5 out of 6 years without a losing season which is good.... but you need to actually make a deep run or people will likely question you. Here are his 5 loses in the playoffs since the SB.

DIV 2015 @ CAR - He tossed 2 early picks (including a pick 6) which gave up 10 points. The other one happened in FG range. He did nothing the first half while his team fell 0-31. He scored in the 2nd half but he dug his hole too deep and lost 24-31.

DIV 2016 @ ATL - He didn't have a good game here either. Though this one is a bit more on his D. He lost 36-20. This one kind of got away from the Seahawks in the 2nd and early 3rd quarter. Wilson taking a safety wasn't REALLY his fault, but you if you get your foot stepped on and fall back into the end zone maybe your footwork could use some work. While I don't put this loss on him, he did fail to elevate his team. Maybe he couldn't win, but it could have been closer. At least he could have kept within striking distance in the 4th with a few more plays made. It's telling that Hester the returner may well have been the most impactful player for the Seahawks this game.

2017 MISSED

WC 2018 @ DAL - This game is on Wilson. He didn't throw it away, he was just ineffective. They had 12 possessions and score 20 points, half of it on short fields. His stats look nice at 18/27 233 yards 1 pass TD 1 rush TD and 0 turnovers. But this is a case of just kind of waiting around to win. 2/13 on 3rd down was huge. You don't win many games when that happens. Interestingly, this is the only post season win for Dak an the cowboys. Wilson and the Seahawks allowed them to play exactly the kind of game they wanted to. A nice slow, run the ball grind it out in the 4th kind of game. It's also worth noting this game was 14-17 until the final few minutes. Dallas scored to put it out of reach at 14-24. The Seahakws do a big drive quickly and then fail to get the onside kick. There was just no urgency to score points until it was too late. 22-24

DIV 2019 @ GB - Another slow start. They end the half down 3-21. Allowing Rodgers and GB to play from ahead the rest of the way. Wilson leads another almost come back which makes his stats look amazing but stalls at the end. Interestingly the Seahawks DOMINATED TOP in the 2nd half, and were happy to have nice long drives down 3-21 and then 10-28. There was a huge lack of urgency here from Wilson and the Seahwks. You don't settled for drives of 5+ minutes when you are down multiple TDs in the second half. Wilson again ends up with a nice stat line and almost heroic come back, but it seems he didn't understand the need for urgency.

WC 2020 LAR @ SEA - This game really is about 2 plays for Wilson. The pick 6 and the 50 yard TD to Metcalf. Outside of that it was kind of just a 'wait for my team to win' game for him, even as they were slowly pushed further behind in the 2nd half. A late TD drive helps his stats but he basically did nothing all game besides that big TD pass until garbage time. The Rams have a good D, but this is not good enough.

Overall Wilson's entire career is really built around that first run in the playoffs on that absolutely dynamic D and with great weapons around him. Outside of that, in the playoffs when you really look at it he has lacked a sense of the moment and a willingness to kind of sit back and hope it works out. His almost comebacks always seem to be too little or too late. The fact of the matter is besides his super bowl run, he has been pretty choky in the playoffs. His appearence in 2014 to play the Patriots only happened because as hard as he choked in the 2015 NFCCG vs GB, Rodgers choked even harder.

When you really examine his career it is built on 2 of the biggest choke jobs of all time happening against him (Peyton and Rodgers) when he didn't really play well in either of those games. This isn't to say he isn't HOF level, but he doesn't lift up his team very often. At this point I don't see him being in the top 10 discussion unless we see some massive changes in his play over his final 6-9 years

Ian

This the model for superior and insightful posting that should win accolades at patsfans.

An applicable topic expertly researched and completely factual.

Imagine having discussions on what has actually happened.

Teams are not going to give up the rarest asset in the sport this easily. Watson and Wilson are dreaming if they think they can move on like this.
There will be a lot of Sleepless people there if he’s traded

Huh? 45 years of perpetual losing, more than any other franchise, means nothing? Wasn't that your whole point though, let's see Brady turn around a losing franchise? That is exactly what he did in year one at age 43 with no off-season.

Your argument is complete nonsense. What does the 2019 Tampa roster have to do with teams in the 70's and 80's?

There is no "Back to the Future" NFL addition.

Send him to the Jets in 2021. It's not like they have a sustained history of success.

Besides, why get your Depends in such a knot? It's extremely smart to go to a team with a loaded roster. I (and all of the intelligent section of patsfans) would have done the exact same thing.

Huh? 45 years of perpetual losing, more than any other franchise, means nothing? Wasn't that your whole point though, let's see Brady turn around a losing franchise? That is exactly what he did in year one at age 43 with no off-season.

They were 7-9 last year...a losing franchise, but only by one game. Any decent QB who didn't turn the ball over (let's say Ryan Fitzpatrick) would have had that team at at least .500. Let's not act as if the Bucs were 0-16 last year. They were a talented team that needed a leader and a few more offensive pieces.

Your argument is complete nonsense. What does the 2019 Tampa roster have to do with teams in the 70's and 80's?

There is no "Back to the Future" NFL addition.

Send him to the Jets in 2021. It's not like they have a sustained history of success.

Besides, why get your Depends in such a knot? It's extremely smart to go to a team with a loaded roster. I (and all of the intelligent section of patsfans) would have done the exact same thing.
This was not my argument, it was yours. You are the one that said let him go to the Jags and yet he went to a team with a worse history than the Jags with a coaching staff that had not won a thing. They were 7-9 in 2019, they were 5-11 the year prior with a loaded team then too (Evans, Godwin, Howard, Vea, JPP, etc) and then 5-11 the year before that. They were not a winning team despite the talent because they had no QB. Brady has proven without a shadow of a doubt that he can take a LOSER team and turn it around in year one with no offseason.

We're the Bucs talented? Yes. But it isn't like they were this elite juggernaut ready the instant Brady dropped in or even after the draft. I understand not wanting to give Brady credit at the expense of the rest of the team. I agree. It wasn't all just Brady. It never is all just 1 guy. But Brady did elevate that team in many ways.

Who was talking about the coaching of the Bucs before Brady got there? No one. Before Brady gets there the Bucs can't be disciplined and make a ton of penalties. After a little over a month they become one of the least penalized teams in the league. Their OL suddenly becomes one of the best in the NFL with the addition of Brady and a rookie. A very good rookie, but a rookie none the less. Suddenly pieces start to fall into their lap over the course of the year.

The young defense jelled and got healthy late in the year. It's worth noting this doesn't get the chance to happen with Brady putting up points and getting them deep in the playoffs. It all looks so easy when Brady does it. Everything seems to fall his way. Pieces seem to fall in place as if some gravitational pull exist that seems almost unrelated to him.

The fact is Brady has always been the best X factor player in NFL history. He is like the 'anti-locker room cancer'. A player that drags the entire operation up instead of down by osmosis.

If Mark Sanchez threw 3 picks in the 2nd half of the NFCCG and Green Bay only scored once and Sanchez's defense opened the second half forcing a fumble that led to a one play, like 5 yard TD drive and forced an INT at the end of the 1st half that led to a defense that got the coordinator fired..................

Mark Sanchez would be labeled a dude that got bailed out by his defense who then set him up.

Maybe some day we can discuss what they would say about Sanchez if he played NO and scored 3 TD's off of turnovers that totaled like 50 yards.

Every owner is scared ****less that Wilson or Watson or Rodgers are able to shoot their way out of town. The second one team gives up a top QB in the league because they shoot their way out of town, it could create a domino affect that has every top player in the league who is unhappy where they are trying to shoot their way out of town. Hell, if Russell Wilson can do it, why can't I?

Do you realize that Tampa had the worst winning percentage of any team in NFL history prior to Brady coming? They were called the Suckaneers for a reason.

they do but that would mean giving Brady credit so yes they’ve been a super team for a while

Every owner is scared ****less that Wilson or Watson or Rodgers are able to shoot their way out of town. The second one team gives up a top QB in the league because they shoot their way out of town, it could create a domino affect that has every top player in the league who is unhappy where they are trying to shoot their way out of town. Hell, if Russell Wilson can do it, why can't I?
I would imagine the Chiefs are the ones that are the most scared. Took them forever to find Mahomes and if he becomes unhappy in the next few years because of his monster contract prevents them from fielding a competitive team, he will want out. The NFL is slowly becoming the NBA.

You do realize Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl in 2002 right?o_O

This was not my argument, it was yours. You are the one that said let him go to the Jags and yet he went to a team with a worse history than the Jags with a coaching staff that had not won a thing. They were 7-9 in 2019, they were 5-11 the year prior with a loaded team then too (Evans, Godwin, Howard, Vea, JPP, etc) and then 5-11 the year before that. They were not a winning team despite the talent because they had no QB. Brady has proven without a shadow of a doubt that he can take a LOSER team and turn it around in year one with no offseason.

Your just hearing voices in your head.

Send him to the Jets and let's see what happens. That's a team with more than QB issues.

Again, your argument is complete nonsense since it's a function of roster not history.

.............and don't call venecol or ice brady to help. They'll come up with something even dumber than you.

What a royal pain in the ass if he ends up in the AFC east.

they do but that would mean giving Brady credit so yes they’ve been a super team for a while

Sorry not everyone is a member of the Brady cult...

The Bucs were a mediocre team last year as their record indicated, but they were a top offensive team and had the best run defense in the entire league. This year they won 4 playoff games this year mainly with a defense that was the same as last year's with a few pieces added through the draft.

Last edited:

Now that the authoritative voice on NFL news has spoken, I guess people can stop freaking out about him going to an AFCE competitor.

Pats in 2001 had coaching and a strong defense. The Chargers and Bears have neither the same talent that Tampa had nor the coaching.
Belichick at that point had a career W-L coaching record well below .500 and defense was ranked in the bottom third of the league in yards in 2000 and 2001 and bottom half in scoring in 2000. In other words they were pretty much the Bucs before Brady arrived.

Definitely not for sure but I don't see why Brady couldn't have possibly done the same with those other teams.

Now that the authoritative voice on NFL news has spoken, I guess people can stop freaking out about him going to an AFCE competitor.

Too much smoke.

This is Russ' and/or the SEA FO PR team at work using Spin-doctor Shefty as their mouthpiece so to calm the natives of Seasquawk Nation

Belichick at that point had a career W-L coaching record well below .500 and defense was ranked in the bottom third of the league in yards in 2000 and 2001 and bottom half in scoring in 2000. In other words they were pretty much the Bucs before Brady arrived.

Definitely not for sure but I don't see why Brady couldn't have possibly done the same with those other teams.

As I said in another post, the Bucs won mainly because of defense in the playoffs. None of the other teams Brady was considering had that kind of defense (Bears and Chargers). The Saints have a good D and I could see Brady winning the super bowl with them, but certainly not the other two.

There's no telling what he could have done. He went to a good team, but saying he couldn't replicate good or the same results somewhere else is just another convenient chance to slight brady.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back