PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Revis wants 20M per year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Revis wants 20M per year....

Don't be silly. First, no one says he should have been good ten years ago. Second, he hasn't been doing it for two years. Face the fact Revis was great last year but MEDIOCRE THE YEAR BEFORE LAST.

Bailey has a body of work. Revis has a hot streak.

A top 5 CB season of all time must be some sort of hot streak.

He had a great season, I don't think anybody is denying that. I'm just not sure you can put him in the same category as a future HOF CB after one great year, no matter how impressive it was. I happen to think Revis is the real deal and will be a top 3 CB in this league, but it's a little premature to be comparing him to all-time greats like Deion and Champ.

Regardless, the argument was Revis was one of the best who ever played the game last year because he faced some of the toughest competition anyone has in a long time.
Lets say the Panthers made the toughest matchup of all the teams I listed.
OK then the 6th toughest competition he faced could only muster a 27th ranking?
The point is that he didn't face even average competition compared to the average corner in the league he faced more weak passing teams than most corners do.
That said, it doesnt address how he played just that its an abomination to overrate him based on the competition, because it was in fact supar not world beating.

Well, I blame the media. All season they talked about all the elite WRs he went up against except most of the "elite" WRs they talked about were not elite WRs in 2009. The only top 10 WRs he faced last year were Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne (for half a game in the regular season), Randy Moss, and Vincent Jackson (in the playoffs where he caught 7 balls for 111 yards).

He had a great season, I don't think anybody is denying that. I'm just not sure you can put him in the same category as a future HOF CB after one great year, no matter how impressive it was. I happen to think Revis is the real deal and will be a top 3 CB in this league, but it's a little premature to be comparing him to all-time greats like Deion and Champ.

So when is it ok to put young players in that category. How many great seasons does it take?

He has allready had 2 great years, why would anyone think that would suddenly just decline barring injury?

I dont think anyone saying that Revis is the best all time CB, just that he is the best right now.

Would you or anyone else say that Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson aren't the best RB's in the game right now, because they have only done it for a limited amount of seasons?

Last edited:

Is this a joke? A deal that averages 20 million per season for a cornerback? Revis is a star talent but this is surely a joke. If the Jets cave in to these demands they are demonstrating their pathetic values as an organization.

Judean People's front.... **** off...

i hope that the Jets pay him...and handicap the team (salary wise) for years to come.

You don't understand. The Jets don't care. They haven't been back to the Super Bowl since 1968, that's more than 40 years...starting to push half a freakin' century. They are in the most competitive sports and media city in the world. They just want to win NOW. They'll worry about the future if there is a future.

Let's take a look at what Revis went up against and compare it to what Nmandi faced.

Revis:
Week 1. Andre Johnson - 4 rec. 35 yds. 0 TD FIRST
2. Randy Moss - 4 rec. 24 yds. 0 TD FIFTH TIE
4. Marques Colston - 2 rec. 33 yds. 0 TD EIGHTEETH
6. Terrell Owens - 3 rec. 13 yds. 0 TD THIRTY-THIRD
10. Mike Sims-Walker - 3 rec. 49 yds. 1 TD THIRTY-FIRST
11. Randy Moss - 5 rec. 34 yds. 1 TD FIFTH TIE
12. Steve Smith - 1 rec. 5 yds. 0 TD TWENTY-FIFTH
13. Terrell Owens - 3 rec. 31 yds. 0 TD THIRTY-THIRD
15. Roddy White - 4 rec. 33 yds. 0 TD THIRTEENTH
16. Reggie Wayne - 3 rec. 33 yds. 0 TD* FIFTH TIE

* denotes a game in which the Colts pulled Manning, Wayne, and their other big names in the second half. I didn't bother including Ochocinco in Week 17 for that same reason.

It's also interesting to note that the Jets had the top receiver in every regular season game except for four games, two of which were against New England (one in which Welker had pretty much a career day). Now let's take a look at the elite WR's Nmandi went up against...

Nmandi:
1. Vincent Jackson - 5 rec. 56 yds. 1 TD NINETH
3. Brandon Marshall - 5 rec. 67 yds. 1 TD FORTEENTH
4. Andre Johnson - 2 rec. 66 yds. 0 TD FIRST
6. DeSean Jackson - 6 rec. 94 yds. 0 TD TWELFTH
8. Vincent Jackson -8 rec. 103 yds. 1 TD NINETH
11. Chad Ochocinco - 4 rec. 67 yds. 0 TD TWENTIETH
12. Miles Austin - 7 rec. 145 yds. 1 TD THIRD
13. Santonio Holmes - 8 rec. 149 yds. 1 TD SEVENTH
15. Brandon Marshall - 7 rec. 73 yds. 1 TD FORTEENTH

Overall, Revis squared off against one more top NFL receiver than Nmandi did. Despite this, Nmandi allowed 4 more TD's than Revis and 3 more 100+ yard receiving games. Nmandi is the second best WR in the NFL, but last year showed Revis to be a pretty clear cut #1.

There is a problem with your analysis, you are basising it on reputation rather than actual production. If you look at the WRS based on yards for the 2009 season, Nmandi faced far tougher competition. I have put their ranked in yards in bold next to each player. Revis faced five WRs (if you count Moss twice and Wayne eventhough it was only a half) in the top 15 and Nmandi faced eight WRs (if you count Marshall and Jackson for two games each). No way do guys like Chad OchoCinco, Sims-Walker, Steve Smith, or TO belong on your list in any context if you are talking top WRs of the 2009 season.

Last edited:

Come on, thats ridiculous. Better than Bailey ever was? Bailey is one of the best corners in NFL history. Revis played at an elite level for one season.

I always found it stupid when people discount players and their talent level due to how many seasons they have performed at that level.

What makes you think Revis will regress?

It reminds me of last year in fantasy baseball when people said (No way is Ryan Braun a 1st round pick), he's only been in the league 1 and a half years!

Give me a break people. That's not how you judge talent.

Revis is THE BEST CB in the league, and it's not close. Unfortunately he plays for the Jets....

I don't think Asomugha is overated, Revis is. They say he is the best defensive player in the league, which is stupid, because a cornerback can never have the same importance that a linebacker does(willis is the best defensive player), and Asomugha got zero credit in the DPOY race, when he is the cornerback who is least thrown at.

Asomugha plays one side of the field....He is over rated.

Revis agent can ask for whatever he wants, but he's under contract for 3 more seasons. No cornerback is getting $20 million a year, especially not one under contract for 3 more seasons. I know you guys hate the Jets more then anything, but haven't you figured out that since Tannenbaum took over that he actually knows what he's doing? Every year you guys say we are in salary cap hell and it never happens. The Jets know they have to pay Revis, Mangold, Harris and Brick. Just like the Pats know they had to pay Wilfork and they will have to pay Brady. I understand your hatred for the jets and probably the Dolphins, but both teams are ready to compete with the Pats for the division. The Pats will still be the favorite because of Brady, but all three teams are extremely well coached and have a lot of talent.

Asomugha plays one side of the field....He is over rated.
Did you just say Asomugha is overrated in a serious tone or a joker's tone? If you're serious then you need to sit in an office and do tax returns for 84 years until you respect the gravity of your very silly opinion. If you're joking then roflcopter twiddlysticks on me.

Last edited:
Well, Revis had a hell of year last year, but I'm not crowning him yet. People were lining up, fawning after Cromartie in 2007 and look how that turned out. If Revis keeps it up, he'll definitely establish himself as the top dog. Let's just see what happens.

Well, Revis had a hell of year last year, but I'm not crowning him yet. People were lining up, fawning after Cromartie in 2007 and look how that turned out. If Revis keeps it up, he'll definitely establish himself as the top dog. Let's just see what happens.

What more does he need to do? A couple more pro bowl seasons? Shut down Andre Johnson and Moss a few more times?

Let's take a look at what Revis went up against and compare it to what Nmandi faced.

Revis:
Week 1. Andre Johnson - 4 rec. 35 yds. 0 TD
2. Randy Moss - 4 rec. 24 yds. 0 TD
4. Marques Colston - 2 rec. 33 yds. 0 TD
6. Terrell Owens - 3 rec. 13 yds. 0 TD
10. Mike Sims-Walker - 3 rec. 49 yds. 1 TD
11. Randy Moss - 5 rec. 34 yds. 1 TD
12. Steve Smith - 1 rec. 5 yds. 0 TD
13. Terrell Owens - 3 rec. 31 yds. 0 TD
15. Roddy White - 4 rec. 33 yds. 0 TD
16. Reggie Wayne - 3 rec. 33 yds. 0 TD*

* denotes a game in which the Colts pulled Manning, Wayne, and their other big names in the second half. I didn't bother including Ochocinco in Week 17 for that same reason.

It's also interesting to note that the Jets had the top receiver in every regular season game except for four games, two of which were against New England (one in which Welker had pretty much a career day). Now let's take a look at the elite WR's Nmandi went up against...

Nmandi:
1. Vincent Jackson - 5 rec. 56 yds. 1 TD
3. Brandon Marshall - 5 rec. 67 yds. 1 TD
4. Andre Johnson - 2 rec. 66 yds. 0 TD
6. DeSean Jackson - 6 rec. 94 yds. 0 TD
8. Vincent Jackson -8 rec. 103 yds. 1 TD
11. Chad Ochocinco - 4 rec. 67 yds. 0 TD
12. Miles Austin - 7 rec. 145 yds. 1 TD
13. Santonio Holmes - 8 rec. 149 yds. 1 TD
15. Brandon Marshall - 7 rec. 73 yds. 1 TD

Overall, Revis squared off against one more top NFL receiver than Nmandi did. Despite this, Nmandi allowed 4 more TD's than Revis and 3 more 100+ yard receiving games. Nmandi is the second best WR in the NFL, but last year showed Revis to be a pretty clear cut #1.

What a minute, what are you responding to?
You said Revis faced the toughest competition anyone has in many years. Comparing who he faced to one other guy doesnt really address that.
Secondly, picking out games and adding the stats of the guy you chose as #1 isn't very scientific either.
Was that the guy he covered? Did they play man or zone. What if all of Santonio Holmes catches were on the other side of the field against zone coverage? That negates your entire analysis.
Didn't you post the number of catches that each allowed and Nmandi was less than Revis?
Are you seriously trying to get me to buy that Austin caught 7 for 145 in man coverage by Nmandi? That he covered Holmes man to man for 8 for 149 or Jackson 8 for 103 etc, etc.
If those are accurate them Nmandi basically sucks and shouldnt be in the equation. I dont think they threw as many passes to the man he covered all season as your are charging against him here.

What more does he need to do? A couple more pro bowl seasons? Shut down Andre Johnson and Moss a few more times?
That's exactly what he has to do. Perform over a number of years.

Thats the most ridiculous statment I have ever read. Top 5 of all time corner seasons. That is simply a joke.

I know you guys hate the Jets more then anything,

No true. I hate shaving my balls with a red hot axe and rubbing alcohol more than I hate the Jets.

Thats the most ridiculous statment I have ever read. Top 5 of all time corner seasons. That is simply a joke.

Yeah and I guess Chris Johnson was just average last year too.

How much of a homer do you honestly have to be to not recognize the historic season Revis had last year?

I think you would have a hard time finding NFL people to agree with the bold statement that Revis in 2009 was better than Champ Bailey at his best. My God, did you start watching football in 2009?

Well I've been posting here since 2007, so... no. Clearly you're more interested in hyperbole and vague insults than having an actual discussion, though, so I'm going to go ahead and check out on that note. Now, if anyone wants to give some actual reasons why it's so unreasonable to claim that Revis in 2009 > Bailey circa 2005-2006, then I'm all ears.

Yeah and I guess Chris Johnson was just average last year too.

How much of a homer do you honestly have to be to not recognize the historic season Revis had last year?

Using the idiotic logic that some around here like to use, than you would have to say Chris Johnson isn't as good as LT is right now because he hasn't done it for more than a year or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back